Riverjack

kcrady57

Day 23!

Kitchen is still clean, I'm happy to report. It really only takes a few minutes; often I'm already cleaning up behind myself while cooking a meal. And it feels so good when I walk in to clean counters the next time. They say it takes 21 days to build a habit; I'm currently at the point where I feel a twinge of guilt if I DON'T clean up right away. Now if I can just extend this wonderful practice to the rest of my house... ^_^

Renee, I fight with that mindset on a daily basis. I've got lots of 'chub' to lose, and I wonder every time I pass the scales what they would (or wouldn't...) tell me. But every morning when I get up full of energy and feeling great I remember again that this is what the journey is all about. The weight will come off - fast or slow, so be it - but it's not what the Whole 30 is about for me anymore. Keep going, and keep reminding yourself why YOU are here!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 23!

Kitchen is still clean, I'm happy to report. It really only takes a few minutes; often I'm already cleaning up behind myself while cooking a meal. And it feels so good when I walk in to clean counters the next time. They say it takes 21 days to build a habit; I'm currently at the point where I feel a twinge of guilt if I DON'T clean up right away. Now if I can just extend this wonderful practice to the rest of my house... ^_^

*up hops Derval to do the dishes* , 3 pages of new posts will still be here when I'm done!

Day 24!

(My kitchen is still clean, Derval - how's yours today? :lol: )

It always surprises me when I get up in the morning and feel like dancing! I'm sure my dogs think I'm crazy... ("Would you stop all that silly hopping around and just let us go out?!!") Can hardly believe that I've made it this far - I guess all the past attempts at eating gluten-free and semi-paleo paid off, because it has been a relatively painless journey. Granted, I don't have the challenges some of you do - my SO is on board with me, and no children to try to corral into healthy eating. I work from home, so don't have the office lunch challenges either. Still, it's an achievement for us to have tossed out all the delivery menus and to be preparing our meals three times a day!

Speaking of which - I tried Melissa Joulwan's 'Best Chicken You'll Ever Eat' last night, and I'm officially a convert to brining chicken! Wow! Can't say how many times I've been on some diet or another and had to force myself to eat bland, lightly seasoned boneless chicken breasts... never again! These were deliciously moist and incredibly spiced! I used the recipe from "Well Fed Cookbook" but there's a variation on her website (The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat. Ever.). Granted it takes a little more preparation, but the brining part could be added to a weekend food prep. Oh, I cooked the chicken in my cast-iron grill pan since I'm not really great with (and didn't have time for) outdoor grilling.

I've been thinking a lot lately about self-image - and how so many of you have admitted in your blogs to falling off the wagon only to get up, dust yourself off, and jump right back into another Day 1. Makes me wonder how many have fallen, only to disappear in shame. :(

It's sad how much of our self-worth can be based on what other people think of us - or rather what we THINK other people think of us. "I messed up, and if I tell anyone what happened they'll know what a terrible person I am..." Most of us have probably been there at some point in our lives. I only hope that when and if I mess up on my Whole 30, I have the courage to come back here and tell you all what happened. Kudos to those of you who have done just that.

I agree 100% with your last paragraph about caring what others think. I spent a great deal of my life worried about what others think. As I get older I am learning that it is not that important. It is probably why I never wrote in a forum before now. I love this forum though and how supportive everyone is. It is nice to know that if I fall down - you will all be here to help pick me up. :)

Dishes done, counters wiped, floor swept :) I bought myself a nice bunch of sunflowers to put in the middle of the dining table as a reward for my streak so far (13 days & counting)

I love that chicken too, I do mine in the oven btw & that works too.

I've also wondered about the people who drop-off the forum, it's a shame... shame is a shame!

I also just bought some sunflowers... what a way to brighten up a day, a house, a room, a mood. Good for you Derval, congrats on your streak! And Good for you Kaye for keeping up on a clean kitchen. Mine seems to have slipped as of recent, but I'll get her back to ship shape!

Derval, can I just say that your omnipresence in these forums is, well, it's nice. You seem to touch everyone, you're like the 'mum' of the forums. Your posts are positive, supportive and informative. It always puts a smile on my face to see that you've been there before me, kind of makes me feel like I'm in the right place!

I really, really need to go out and get Well Fed - I mean the book, not fall off the W30 wagon! I love that you always share your food ideas Kaye. THANKS!

Day 25 (of 40)!

So I was putting together some lunch from leftovers, and found myself staring at cold hard-boiled eggs and a hot frying pan... I was curious what it would be like, so I sliced the eggs in half and laid them yolk (flat) side down in some hot clarified butter. After a minute or so I flipped them over (make sure you leave them long enough, once on the round side they're slippery little devils that refuse to flip back!). Removed them from the pan, added a little salt and pepper... and yum! Anyone ever tried this? If you're watching 'Drop Dead Diva' this season, you might appreciate the name I came up with for these little gems - I call them froiled eggs!

Day 26 (of 40)

I made the Czech Meatballs from Well Fed Cookbook last night and served them on a bed of sauteed cabbage - major yum! Especially since I did them right this time... my first attempt I accidentally grabbed the pork sausage from the fridge instead of the ground pork - they were good but a bit... surprising! I think I have these meatballs on my list to make when my sister visits next month...

Smiling Lotus, if you've made it this far, welcome to the forums!

Day 28 (of 40)!!!

First rainy day we've had in Central Texas for a while; I stood outside watching the front roll in and enjoying the (almost crisp!) breeze. I'm glad it waited until I got home to start though. I spent my morning at farmer's market and Whole Foods and now have a freezer and refrigerator full of yummy stuff - only I can't decide what to do about lunch! All the easy proteins need to thaw... sigh... Do you ever get to a state where even though you're hungry you just can't get motivated to cook? Or do you ever just feel like skipping the protein for one meal? Sometimes I wonder if my body just hits a saturation point every now and then, and I should pay attention and make my next meal a light one...

Oh, listening to the rain just makes me want to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea.

But we need to eat - something - and I have a chicken thawed out in the fridge to roast for dinner.

Catch you later, friends!

I love curling up with a good book, especially when it's raining!

I often wish I could find some simple meal ideas for those days when you just want to take the day off! Then I end up thinking that maybe I'm being lazy, and I got into this mess because society marketed convenience to so well. You know that slogan - 'you deserve a break today!'... Hope you were able to find the motivation to make one of your great lunches!!

Day 29 (of 40)!

It's hard to believe that I've almost made it through a full Whole 30! AND I'm not chomping at the bit to be finished so I can re-introduce foods... in fact, as stated before, we're continuing thru the month of August before 1 day of trying dairy, then going right back into eating pure Whole 30 approved. I won't call it another Whole 30, because we'll only have 25 days until my sister comes to visit - at which point we'll probably loosen the reins slightly.

One of the most enjoyable and least foreseen benefits of this process, is that my SO and I are spending much more time together and communicating much more closely than before. Seems as though it's so easy to get stuck in an unhealthy routine both with food AND relationships - and it almost feels as if they go hand in hand. Anyone else encountered this?

The roast chicken, by the way, was a great success! I got the recipe from Derval's log - and she found it here. I was surprised at how juicy the meat was given that you don't do any basting until after the chicken comes out of the oven! I'll be using the carcass later today as I'm planning to start some bone broth in my crockpot!

My SO made a fabulous breakfast casserole this morning and we'll be eating on that for the next couple of days. Lunch will be leftover roast chicken and salad, and dinner is still a bit up in the air. We have options, just undecided at the moment.

Walkerlori, I'm glad you're enjoying my ramblings! A bit different from the average log I suppose... I actually live in one of the suburbs of Austin - I'm probably about 5-10 minutes outside the city limits. It's a great town!

Take care everyone!

There are any number of bone-broth recipes out there - I'm going to have to google and look around a bit, I'll let you know what I wind up doing. As for what to do with the bone-broth, for starters it makes an awesome base for soups. Some people just drink it striaight for the probiotics and other nutrients. A week or two back I was feeling a bit crummy - swollen glands and such - and would have loved to have the broth to sip on; the whole chicken soup cure, ya know.

I'll let you know how it goes...

From what I'm reading, it doesn't matter what sort of bones you use - chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc.

Found a fairly simple method that includes some general info here at Paleo Diet Lifestyle. For chicken he recommends around 4 hours in the crockpot or a stockpot, not overnight.

I'm off to get lunch and get the bone broth started - I'll let you know how it turns out!

One of the most enjoyable and least foreseen benefits of this process, is that my SO and I are spending much more time together and communicating much more closely than before. Seems as though it's so easy to get stuck in an unhealthy routine both with food AND relationships - and it almost feels as if they go hand in hand. Anyone else encountered this?

Today I feel the complete opposite. We are taking our frustrations out on each other and I am finding this the most difficult part of the whole experience. No troubles with food or cravings but really wishing we could go back to the relationship we had 2 months ago with less stress.

I could use some tips if you have any

Hi Renee,

It's the SO here! Often times change can be very stressful on a relationship. Have you sat down and shared your feelings and concerns with your BF? Sometimes we expect each other to be mind readers. That may not be the problem at all but I sometimes find that I expect my SO to know how I am feeling.

It sounds like from following your log that you and your BF have been very busy and under a lot of stress. Perhaps you need to take some time - make a special dinner and spend an evening or day together with just the two of you. It is often a good way to start a conversation.

Best wishes to you.

Sending you hugs,

Faith

Archived