Help! Need a fat source...

dmgray85

Hi, I was wondering if anybody had some advice about different fat sources. I am starting the Whole30 tomorrow and am excited and nervous. I have been battling food allergies, auto-immune, and gastrointestinal issues for years. It Starts With Food has given me some new ideas and insights for sticking to a new lifestyle!

The biggest issue I have when faced with starting this lifestyle are the fat sources. I am going to follow the auto-immune protocol which says no eggs, ghee or nuts, so that eliminates them as a possible fat source. I am allergic to coconut (and everything that has to do with coconut) - when consumed I throw it up. I am also allergic to many latex fruits and veggies which then eliminates avocado - when eaten my skin flares up in major blisters/sores and pusses. Olives, although I have tried a number of times, disagrees with me and gives me stomach cramps. That leaves only animal fats and extra-virgin olive oil. Since my sources for meat are not all that great, animal fat is out most of the time.

Any help for sourcing fat would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Dana

There are many post in the forum about this. The best way to search is google. Search whole30 fats, or something similar. It will take you to the forum post or website post. Have you tried duck fat, lard or tallow? Check out fat works to order online.

Are seeds counted in there with nuts?  Sunflower and pumpkin seeds?  Palm oil?  I would use a seed oil or palm oil when cooking if you can and then use a lot of extra virgin olive oil for finishing.  I don't see much of an issue using primarily evoo for the short term future while you experiment with AIP.

Good luck to you.  I am also finding I have a multitude of food sensitivities and am fighting to figure it all out (histamines is what I am tackling which also cuts out my beloved avocado).

Are seeds counted in there with nuts?  Sunflower and pumpkin seeds?  Palm oil?  I would use a seed oil or palm oil when cooking if you can and then use a lot of extra virgin olive oil for finishing.  I don't see much of an issue using primarily evoo for the short term future while you experiment with AIP.

Good luck to you.  I am also finding I have a multitude of food sensitivities and am fighting to figure it all out (histamines is what I am tackling which also cuts out my beloved avocado).

Unfortunately seed oils and nut oils are not allowed on the auto immune protocol. I think palm oil is (at least according to the paelo mom). It is so confusing with all the different protocols.

We don't generally recommend that first time Whole30ers do the AIP program as it is very restrictive. Maybe start with Whole30 - the things you know you are allergic/sensitive too. As you go you might find other things that have to go. Getting a whole round of Whole30 in before embarking on AIP will make AIP much easier to follow. That said if sourcing is your issue not funds I would definitely check out US Wellness meats and fat works. As you are so restricted getting the highest quality food that you can eat and your funds allow will go a long way. 

Thanks! Very helpful. Good to hear about AIP - I will just stick to Whole30. I know I am not allergic to many nuts and seeds and it will open up a bunch more fats! I will check out the US Wellness Meats and Fat Works for sure!

Archived