Soy Sauce Slip: Start Over?

Hi all! I'm on Day 14 of my first Whole30, and up until yesterday, I was eating strictly on-plan. I went out to dinner last night (first time dining out!) and asked the server for oil and vinegar for my salad. I doused the greens with both and took a big bite. It tasted odd--salty--so I tried it again and realized the server had brought me soy sauce instead of balsamic vinegar!

Do I need to start over? I feel fine today, and things were going so well!

• Moderators

I am really sorry you got dosed with soy. That really sucks. Unfortunately, soy is a big enough deal that you need to start over again. You get a pass on an accidental dose of sugar, but not soy because it can have a broad range of influences in your body. The fact that you don't feel bad after a dose does not mean you do not have issues with soy.

The Whole30 eliminates a range of possible problem foods for 30 days before you reintroduce anything. If you have not been off of all of them for 30 days before you begin reintroductions, your experiment may be skewed. 

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
6 hours ago, Mike9999 said:

I thought vinegar was a no-no

If you check the rules, most vinegar is ok, except malt vinegar, which contains gluten. You do have to check ingredients still -- some balsamic vinegar add caramel color, which is a sweetener, or may have added sulfites listed in the ingredients list (Although naturally occurring sulfites, which will be in all balsamic vinegar, are okay -- just avoid the ones where they've added extra).

Archived