Hey Folks,

I was wondering if you all know much about Trigeminal Neuralgia and the effects of whole30/Paleo eating on it? I have it, and I am really just beyond tired of the excruciating pain. I am considering the idea of doing a whole30+ until I go back into remission, because I do believe it will help me go back into remission. The pain is caused by inflammation, so it makes plenty of sense to me. I was simply wondering if you have heard anything on it, might have more useful information. 

I have had a hard time finding information on how to treat it without taking lots of medicine/having surgery. I'd like to avoid those two if there is a better solution. 

Thank you! I have done some research on that the past few days and it sounds like it might be a great option if this doesn't work like I am hoping it would 

It's crazy expensive but you cannot really put a cost on being pain-free.  ;) Just gotta figure out how to convince the insurance company to pay for it. 

http://www.fpa-support.org/2011/05/tip-sheet-neuropathic-face-pain-and-trigeminal-neuralgia-2/

Not trying to push you in any direction, but here is a blog where someone lists her experiences with both conventional and alternative medications.

An anti-inflammatory diet sure cannot hurt!  Even if it does not directly effect the TN in 30 days, it will helpfully slowly be improving what is probably systemic inflammation.  

I was intrigued by the herpes connection and using Acyclovir.  My son has Autism, and in our community (yes, we have one!  lol) there is a lot of talk about brain inflammation.  Quite a few parents have seen great improvements with drugs or supplements that fight the herpes virus.  It can be a difficult bugger to treat.  Adopting a diet high in foods with Lysine (or taking L-lsyine) and low in Arginine has been known to starve that particular virus.

I wish you luck.  I have a friend with this disorder and the pain is crippling.  Hers was triggered by Shingles after she had the chicken pox vaccine as an adult so that might be an entirely different issue (except that chicken pox is a type of herpes virus which is why Acyclovir might help some).

I say go for it!  Enjoy the benefits of Whole30.

Hey Folks,

I was wondering if you all know much about Trigeminal Neuralgia and the effects of whole30/Paleo eating on it? I have it, and I am really just beyond tired of the excruciating pain. I am considering the idea of doing a whole30+ until I go back into remission, because I do believe it will help me go back into remission. The pain is caused by inflammation, so it makes plenty of sense to me. I was simply wondering if you have heard anything on it, might have more useful information. 

I have had a hard time finding information on how to treat it without taking lots of medicine/having surgery. I'd like to avoid those two if there is a better solution. 

WOW!! I had a friend who had that...he took medication (neurontin) and over time the pain completely went away. What has helped you get into remission in the past? What do you think triggered the current event? Also look at Dr. Ronald Hoffman's website...he is an alternative medicine doc...and has articles posted on TM. I will do a little more research...and keep you posted. I agree that an anti-inflammatory  diet may certainly help...have you tried fish oil, tumeric?

Inflammation and demyelination may make the AIP something to consider, but I'd start with a Whole30 :D

Not sure if it would be any help for this situation, but vitamin Bs are sometimes recommended for help in healing nerve damage.

I will need to read more on the AIP, I understand the idea and it has also been something I have been considering. I would like to know more. My mother-in-law just had some blood tests and learned of some food sensitivities that she has. It may be a good idea for me to do that if I don't starting seeing relief, maybe even if I do. I certainly don't think taking vitamin b's would hurt and so I will look into adding them. Thank you!

WOW!! I had a friend who had that...he took medication (neurontin) and over time the pain completely went away. What has helped you get into remission in the past? What do you think triggered the current event? Also look at Dr. Ronald Hoffman's website...he is an alternative medicine doc...and has articles posted on TM. I will do a little more research...and keep you posted. I agree that an anti-inflammatory  diet may certainly help...have you tried fish oil, turmeric?

I know that neurontin (and some other anti-seizure medicines) are usually what is prescribed. I'm glad your friend has found relief. My concern is that for a lot of people the medicine will work for a short time and then it is no longer effective. I am also concerned with some of the side effects and risks associated with taking them. 

Honestly, eating a primal/paleo/whole30 diet in the past has put me into remission. ;-) I have just been stupid and fallen off the wagon. I didn't quite understand how TNA worked. I have been reading It Starts With Food and it has changed my outlook on a lot of things. I understand the whys a whole lot better and am much more motivated to stick with the healthier way of life. 

I don't take any tumeric supplements, although we eat a fair bit of it in our cooking. I make curry all the time. ;-) I do take fish oil, both omega 3's and fermented cod liver oil. I have recently just started the fermented cod liver oil.

http://www.fpa-support.org/2011/05/tip-sheet-neuropathic-face-pain-and-trigeminal-neuralgia-2/

Not trying to push you in any direction, but here is a blog where someone lists her experiences with both conventional and alternative medications.

An anti-inflammatory diet sure cannot hurt!  Even if it does not directly effect the TN in 30 days, it will helpfully slowly be improving what is probably systemic inflammation.  

I was intrigued by the herpes connection and using Acyclovir.  My son has Autism, and in our community (yes, we have one!  lol) there is a lot of talk about brain inflammation.  Quite a few parents have seen great improvements with drugs or supplements that fight the herpes virus.  It can be a difficult bugger to treat.  Adopting a diet high in foods with Lysine (or taking L-lsyine) and low in Arginine has been known to starve that particular virus.

I wish you luck.  I have a friend with this disorder and the pain is crippling.  Hers was triggered by Shingles after she had the chicken pox vaccine as an adult so that might be an entirely different issue (except that chicken pox is a type of herpes virus which is why Acyclovir might help some).

I say go for it!  Enjoy the benefits of Whole30.

I don't necessarily think I had a specific trigger, but that it instead is the product of prolonged inflammation. I started experiencing the symptoms shortly after I got married back in 2011. I find it interesting that there is a shingles/chicken pox connection. I have never had the vaccine nor shingles, that being said I had the chicken pox 5 times as a kid. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share, yesterday was day 19 of my whole30. It's not been a normal whole30 as it would be for many people. I have been so exhausted because my pain actually increased both in intensity and then in frequency. Friday and Saturday I was having full blown attacks every 90 seconds and so I am sure you could imagine, I was unable to sleep. 

However, yesterday afternoon I noticed the attacks were coming less frequently and with much less intensity. I slept last night, very well. And no attacks today. I am going into remission!!!

Archived