when is fruit okay?

hey out there,

i'm on day 2 of my first ever whole30! i'll get to my question quickly:

i know that one of my struggles is with sugar. i haven't had any cravings yet, but i know they'll come. i ate a very nice breakfast and lunch, and would love to have a banana, but i don't know if that's the right move. i don't want a piece of cake and, therefore, trying to sub in a banana, i just want a banana, maybe with almond butter. is this me feeding my sugar demon? as some added insight, i am keeping my fruit servings down to 1-2 servings a day and they're lower-sugar fruits, mostly berries and cherries, so i'm definitely not gorging.

thoughts? i may be over-thinking this....it's how i roll :)

jen

• Moderators

I think of a banana and almond butter as dessert and if you have sugar issues, your body probably does too. Maybe you should stick with the berries. Or you can test it and see what happens. Your choice.

If you know you have sugar issues, I'd drop ANYTHING sweet for at least the first week so you can observe the WHY of the desire. For whatever reason, almond butter actually sets off my sweet tooth demon also. It puts me in "treat" mode I guess. When I leave out fruit (I still eat sweet potato though) and I get a craving it really provides a lot of insight for me as to where my emotional eating habits are rooted. Sugar soothes me apparently. I'm trying to stop in those moments and do some deep breathing instead.

Like Tom said though, this is YOUR journey so do as you wish. ISWF suggests 1-2 pieces of fruit per/day with the caveat that those with fruit issues may benefit from refraining until they feel they've conquered the sweet demon. Whatever you choose, I encourage you to observe yourself. If you do incorporate fruit, does it make you crave more sweets? Does it affect your hunger levels? When are you eating the fruit? If you don't, when do your sweet cravings come on?

I don't eat certain fruits because they make me crave sugar. Berries and apples are fine, and a banana once in a while is fine, too. But grapes, pineapple, and dried fruit open the door to cravings for me. You have to find what works for you. If a banana and almond butter after a meal does not make you crave any more sugar, then it should be okay. I find that eating fruit late in the day works better for me. It's still a form of sugar, and too much of it early in the day saps my energy.

Thanks for the replies (and the article). I did NOT eat the banana and almond butter when I wanted it. I did eat a banana with tea before bed, but no almond butter because that would have made it almost dessert for me. Felt fine with the simple banana and tea, and it felt good to say no to it earlier and forget about it.

I am loving this experience...it's so revealing about my internal dialogue.

Archived