Phone Apps?

cadarad

I use the Pinterest app on my phone to help with grocery shopping and cooking. I have a folder on Pinterest just for Whole30 recipes or recipes that I can easily adjust to be compliant. If it turns out I don't like a recipe, I remove it from the folder. I have found searching Whole30 specific recipes on Pinterest to be quite easy as well, such as Whole30 Roast Beef. Tons of examples...

• 5 weeks later...

I know you say "no apps," but what it seems that you are against is tracking apps and the like.

An app doesn't have to be a tracker.

For those of us just starting out it would be great to to not have to cart the book around. Or not have to print out the various resources as pdfs so we can pull them out at any time and look up what we can eat/what we can't eat.  

I'd love to have the Official Rules in a form that's conforms better to my iPhone screen. (If I make the print bigger, the margins exceed my iPhone screen.)

Same with the can't have guide.

It would be great to take whole recipes to the grocery stores.

None of these things involve counting calories.

One option that could potentially solve these issues for you is to get the Kindle version of the book and also the Kindle app for your iPhone. I love having all my books, cookbooks, etc on my phone via the Kindle app when I need them. :) 

One option that could potentially solve these issues for you is to get the Kindle version of the book and also the Kindle app for your iPhone. I love having all my books, cookbooks, etc on my phone via the Kindle app when I need them. :)

I also have the kindle versions, and have the downloads page of the website bookmarked on my phone. it is tiny print on a phone but the .pdf version is easier than trying to read an actual web page screen.

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for TwoGrand.  The social aspect is very motivational.  All my followers know that I'm doing a Whole30 and are cheering me on.  Seeing your day's food in pictures - all the beautiful, healthy food - is also very motivational.  It is also nice to look at what other paleo/whole30 folks are eating for inspiration and ideas.  I've actually been using the app steadily for almost a year.  It's a great way to track without going nuts over macros.  If you try it, follow me.  I'm amanda79

Thanks for the heads up on TwoGrand. I got it yesterday and while I'm too new to have followers, I love seeing my good choices throughout the day all there laid out for me to see. :) I also love checking off being successful at the challenges I signed up for, like not snacking, no eating after 8, etc. I'm using it in conjunction with the Studio Design app and the W30 pack available there to make my meal pictures more visually pleasing when I see them in my feed. :) I also like that you can make notes instead of just uploading a picture, so it's a good way to track your mood, etc. 

Who knows if I'll keep up this level of detail as I progress, but I love it for now. I truly do think it will help me stick to it this time. (I've done several successful W30 but MANY MANY unsuccessful attempts...) 

So yeah, thanks! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has found an app that helps to meal plan. I'd love to find one that's really simple, and easily allows you to switch meals around or to copy from last nights' meal 3 to be meal 1 as leftovers, etc. Right now I just use my notes function on my phone to plan 3 days at a time or so, but it would be GREAT to have an app that makes meal planning simple. 

Any recommendations? 

• 2 months later...

I have been using a website & app combo called Real Plans (http://www.realplans.com) to plan meals & help come up with shopping lists. You can use either as a webpage or as an app. It has a screen for planning meals, a timeline (thaw your frozen chicken now, start your slow cooker now), & a shopping list. It comes with a Recipe Box, & if you pay a subscription fee you get extra recipes. Also, you can pay extra & get all of Michelle Tam's NomNom Paleo recipes (I heard about Real Plans from NomNom). 

Like any program, there is a learning curve for using it. Also, you have to input your recipes if you want to use them, & specially input your ingredient lists so it can fold them into the shopping list function. But so far I've found it quite useful. It has a wide selection of Paleo-friendly meals in the native Recipe Box, & with the NomNom Paleo addition, there are just TONS of great recipes. You can also modify their recipes to make them Whole30-compliant & save them as your own recipe. 

I'm not completely sold on the program yet, but I'm hopeful.

For those looking to find what produce is in season, I use an app called "Harvest". You can search by the item of produce and the app will tell you when it is in season, it's uses, how to pick the best/ripest ones, how to store it when you get it home, and how much pesticide conventional growing of that product generally uses, so you can decide if it's worth getting organic. It's a great little app.

• 1 month later...

I recently started using the MyPaleoPal app.  It works like instagram and your meal is either approved or not.  I don't know who does the approving so I don't really care about that.  I use it mainly because it holds me accountable and I can see what I've eaten for the day.  No calorie tracker involved.  I have used the myfitnesspal app also and sync it to my garmin activity tracker but I find taking a picture of my plate easier than logging everything.  I have seen some interesting meals on the paleo pal app and have commented to find where the recipe came from so it can be useful for finding recipes.  As a side note, I'm just now starting my first whole30 and am still finishing the book.  Very eye-opening :)  

I use the Pinterest app on my phone to help with grocery shopping and cooking. I have a folder on Pinterest just for Whole30 recipes or recipes that I can easily adjust to be compliant. If it turns out I don't like a recipe, I remove it from the folder. I have found searching Whole30 specific recipes on Pinterest to be quite easy as well, such as Whole30 Roast Beef. Tons of examples...

I would love to follow you on Pinterest!

Thanks for the heads up on TwoGrand. I got it yesterday and while I'm too new to have followers, I love seeing my good choices throughout the day all there laid out for me to see. :) I also love checking off being successful at the challenges I signed up for, like not snacking, no eating after 8, etc. I'm using it in conjunction with the Studio Design app and the W30 pack available there to make my meal pictures more visually pleasing when I see them in my feed. :) I also like that you can make notes instead of just uploading a picture, so it's a good way to track your mood, etc. 

Who knows if I'll keep up this level of detail as I progress, but I love it for now. I truly do think it will help me stick to it this time. (I've done several successful W30 but MANY MANY unsuccessful attempts...) 

So yeah, thanks! :)

I just downloaded the app (now called "YouFood" I guess?) based on the posts on this thread. I like the idea of just snapping a photo of my meal! I'm not seeing anything about "challenges" though and was excited about that -- anyone know if that feature's still available?

My friend and I are starting our Whole30 later this week and we're trying to find the best way to track/share our meals (not calories) to hold one another accountable while also tracking how we feel (mood, physical symptoms, etc.). So if anyone has a suggestion for that, please let me know! I'd love to consolidate my food diary and notes on how I'm feeling in one place but while I'm fine posting food photos publicly, I would like to keep notes on my mood and how some physical conditions are reacting private, so something like YouFood may not be my best option. Are there any good "diary" apps that let you track food (by photo or notes, just not calorie counting) and how you're feeling privately?

Can anyone on YouFood / TwoGrand point me to how to remove someone from my followers? I'm really just looking to use the app as a food journal and to share posts between me and the friend I'm doing Whole30 with. I made my profile "private" but before I did so someone I don't know started following me. I don't see any option that lets me remove her from my followers or require my approval before folks can follow me in the future (the way you can on instagram). Is this possible on YouFood/TwoGrand? Probably a deal breaker for me if not...

Archived