Day 23 - Realized: avocados = satiety; too many cashews = bloating

Skepticallytrying

Hello my fellow W30-ers!

It's seems a bit late in the W30 process (Day 23 woot!!) to come to this realization, but I think I've finally conquered my off & on bloat, particularly in the evening, as well as decreased my need for an afternoon snack of nuts... 

* Adding just a bit of extra fat at lunch: 1/2 an avocado (in addition, to a healthy dousing of olive oil on top of my salad), lasted me 4 - 5 hours until dinner!!!  Today, I had no need to munch on hazelnuts or cashews in between!!!

After dinner, I was full but not feeling uber bloated!!

**The INCREASE of good fat at a meal, results in a DECREASED need for snacks!**

This is CLEARLY stated in ISWF, as well as listed in several posts on this forum, but until I experienced persistent bloat & experimented w/my food, it didn't sink in!!!

Oh, silly me!!!

But, anyway, I'm still happy to report my 'discovery'!  :D

Oh I'm so glad I read this. Thank you for sharing what you're going through. I'm so glad you found success in this piece along your journey!

No kidding, I'm sitting here after having a small handful of cashews and a cup of coffee (It was either these two or hitting the mini-mart for chips and a diet soda--evil monster's lurking), and I'm feeling gassy. I can't remember EVER having this issue with cashews before. I'm allergic to tree nuts, but I thought I could try cashews this time around.  Ugh.

Avocados are amazing little treats. For sure! I mash one up with my salad dressing of oil and vinegar with seasonings...it's been a great piece to "taco" salads and basic salads. 

• 6 months later...

This was a great reminder of importance of not overdoing it on the nuts.  Seems we all have problems with cashews!  They are so, so, SOOOOO yummy and it is quite easy to get carried away.  Friday I put an open bag on the carseat next to me and munched them practically all the way home (an hour commute!) and I felt just awful.  Now the bag is in a container way back in the cupboard where I won't see them and hopefully forget they are there.  I love avocados and am going to make it a point to add more good fats to my meals.

Thanks!

For me the worst part of avos is buying them --- seems like I always have to buy them rock hard and hope they're ready when I want them.  I don't think I've ever found one at the store that was ready to eat right then.

Reminds me of Mitch Hedberg's joke about potatoes:

I like baked potatoes. I don't have a microwave oven, and it takes forever to bake a potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one, because by the time it's done, who knows?

• 1 year later...

I learned a great trick for avocados--I purposely buy them a little underwrite and put them in a bowl on my counter with my apples. The apples release ethylene, which helps the avocados ripen. After a couple of days they are about right and I move them into the fridge to slow the ripening process so I can eat them art my own pace. Works really well, and I get perfect avocados nearly every time!

For me the worst part of avos is buying them --- seems like I always have to buy them rock hard and hope they're ready when I want them.  I don't think I've ever found one at the store that was ready to eat right then.

Reminds me of Mitch Hedberg's joke about potatoes:

I buy them at Costco - rock hard - and leave them on the counter for a few days. As soon as they feel good, toss 'em in the fridge.  If you need one ready quickly, throw it in a paper bag with a banana and it should ripen within 24 hours.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing this! I am on day 20 and have had bloating that mysteriously comes and goes and I could not pin point what the heck was causing this... Cashews!! Darn it. I've been using them here and there to tide me over and I really do love them so. Guess I'm just gonna have to eliminate for a few days and see if they are the culprit.

Archived