Issues on cutting back sweet potatoes and such....

Alright, I am seeking to gain an improvement in lifestyle, eating habits, and body shape. Aren't we all?I'm on day 9 and this week I have had this mind set that I need to try to eliminate sweet potatoes/carrots/squash/tomatoes/fruit to *see* maximum results because I feel like that is what I've read the most about concerning disappointed outcomes.

But this morning I woke up to a clear-headed epiphany (hopefully it's the start of the tiger blood), I'm turning this into a low carb diet and I know that is not an attainable change to a healthier lifestyle for me. 

You should know: I'm 5'10", started whole30 at 149 lbs. (ideal 140lbs.) but I weighed up to 230 lbs. in high school, so I know that I'm not fat- been there, done that and ain't going back. I tried low-no carbing as well as other diets to get the weight off and the only thing that really worked was a real change in lifestyle. Which for me was running for a few years and cutting out red meat, fried food and white highly/processed carbs ---> I've turned over a new leaf for whole30 with all the meat and ghee fat...

I feel like I'm going to gain weight doing this without cutting carbs. Since I know better for me, I'm worried. Sweet potatoes/squashes/tomatoes are on the good list, so should I not worry as long as I stick to the layout? Does anyone else have similar thoughts or had similar experiences? 

You can absolutely lose weight while eating carb-dense veggies. I'm one example of that.  :)

I'm not sure why you've chosen 140 as your ideal weight.  I'm 3 inches shorter than you, currently weigh 162 (down from a high of 175-178). If I weighed 140, for me, I'm thinking I would look/feel unhealthy.  

As an aside, tomatoes are not high carb.

Focus on body shape, as you initially stated in your post, vs. a number on the scale. Here is an article that may help reinforce that. http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

And yes, stick to the recommended meal template for each meal, creating meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

I was worried about the same thing too when I started the whole30! But I learned very quickly that if I didn't have some sort of carby veggie (usually either sweet potato or butternut squash) at breakfast, I would be dragging all day. I do have to be conscious that I get in a variety of veggies because you don't want those to be the *only* ones you eat. I try to limit myself to one sweet potato a day. But especially if you're active and exercise, you're probably going to need those carby veggies!

Also, for reference, I am 5 8 and started the whole30 at 139lbs and dropped to 133 with all these carby veggies, so I think getting to 140 is totally do-able! :)

I say 140, because that's just what I've weighed before when I felt I was in my best physique and it's weird to say I want more tone here, here, and here. I wasn't lifting weights when I was at 140, just doing a few routine body resistance exercises and cardio, so that probably isn't feasible. I don't care about the number as long as I feel great about my fitness/physique.

I'm just a little freaked out by all of the food I'm eating and the time of the month isn't helping. I'm hoping I'll get my tiger blood soon and feel silly for ever worrying about it.

Thanks, y'all!

Are you eating those foods in a problematic way?  (Eating past satiety, looking to them when you're craving something carby but not actually hungry?)  If not, I say leave 'em in.  Low carb diets work... for exactly as long as you do low-carb.  As soon as you add carbs back in, the weight comes back on.  Are you content to live carb-free forever?  If not, don't even bother cutting them out in the first place.

• 4 months later...

Is it bad to have more than one sweet potato a day?  I don't really like veggies.  I eat the one's I can tolerate ( sweet potato, carrots, broccoli and very few others)  I tend to fix the same ones several times a week.  I'm only on day 11 of my first W30.  I'm feeling pretty bloated and a little tired.  I drink plenty of water...at least a gallon a day. I do yoga and crossfit 5 times a week.  Is the sweet potato really going to throw off my whole30?

Is it bad to have more than one sweet potato a day?  I don't really like veggies.  I eat the one's I can tolerate ( sweet potato, carrots, broccoli and very few others)  I tend to fix the same ones several times a week.  I'm only on day 11 of my first W30.  I'm feeling pretty bloated and a little tired.  I drink plenty of water...at least a gallon a day. I do yoga and crossfit 5 times a week.  Is the sweet potato really going to throw off my whole30?

It is fine to have more than one sweet potato a day. I would encourage you to keep trying new vegetables though and new preparation methods of vegetables. As your body adjusts to this style of eating you will probably find your taste buds change significantly. What you are feeling is pretty normal for Day 11 so just hang in there. 

Archived