Freezer Containers/Techniques

TheBeeGirl

Does anyone have a recommendation for reusable freezer containers? I try to freeze things in Ziploc bags, and, though I try to expel the air before freezing, it always seems to get in there and the food gets freezer burned. Any advice/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

My butcher recently told me that he uses his FoodSaver for everything and according to him it saves money in the long run. He buys meat and other items in bulk and is able to keep them nicely frozen for extended periods of time. Beef for up to a year and poultry for six months. Might want to give FoodSaver a consideration.

Depends on what it is and how long you are keeping it in the freezer.  If it's meat then FoodSaver is great since it removes all air.  My boyfriend and I take both breakfast and lunch to work so I make a weeks worth of breakfast on Sunday and put it into two cup round pyrex containers for each portion and freeze them.   I've never had an issue with freezer burn but it's always used within a week or two.

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm storing things in ziploc bags in the freezer, I try to always double bag them which helps protect against freezer burn. I put 1lb ground meat in a 1-quart freezer bag, then put several of those inside a gallon freezer bag, seal and freeze.

I am going to look into the foodsaver mentioned above though, never heard of it!!

You have to get the bags labelled freezer bags. I also wrap the food in wax paper before putting them in the bags. However, I've been trying to cut down on the plastic bags so I've been using the reusable plastic containers. They seem to work really well.

Archived