Accidental soybean oil

So I started my whole30 on a Monday. The following Friday my office had catered lunch from Zankou Chicken (mediturianian food) I made sure to call and ask what they they cook there meat in, and they said olive oil. I also asked if there was added sugar, gluten, sulfites etc.They assured me that non of that was used to cool the meat. I went ahead and ate it that friday and had leftovers the fallowing saturday for lunch and then in my breakfast on Monday. Cut to today day 16 and I went to eat there again because I was not able to cook myself luch because of the dentist apt and work I had. I bought the same beef shwarma I had the first time, but something in me just had to ask again. So after I left (I took it to go) I called to ask again, this time I was informed that they use a mix if olive oil and SOYBEAN OIL!!! I was furious and did not eat what I had bought. That being said I had already had eaten it the three times prior. I really really don't want to have to start over, I have been really really good otherwise and I cook my food 99.9% of the time, so you can see why I would be upset to find I was misinformed. So do I have to start over? :/

Ugh, so sorry you were given incorrect information.

Unfortunately ingesting soy, even accidental, does hit the reset button, as it's one of the big gut disruptors. Call it a Whole46 if that works better for your mindset.

• Moderators

In other words, even a little bit of some foods ruins the healing that begins when you start a Whole30. When you had food that included soybean oil, it put you back at the start of the healing process. The Whole30 requires 30 days in a row of no irritants. Any less and you won't know what you feel like when you have had 30 days in a row without anything to disrupt your gut and hormones. 

I did but the last time I had that meat was the fallowing Monday which actually was day 8, after that I have not ha any slips. So since day eight I have been compliant, so I should only have to add 8 days right?

It does suck, but believe me it can make a difference.  I bet they used quite a bit of soybean oil…

Being compliant at a restaurant was my biggest problem during any of my Whole30 attempts.  

It's just so frustrating especially when you made sure to ask and you were told it was ok, as not to mention the feeling of being half way crushed.

I know it can be frustrating, but think of it this way: you get 8 more days giving your body the good stuff!

Personally, I find it very strange when people finish their 30 days and go back to eating however they were eating before. Most people who have success with the program end up adopting similar eating styles long term. They may be a little more relaxed about certain ingredients but their pattern of eating is pretty close to whole30 anyway. If you think of it that way, 8 more days of strictly following the rules doesn't seem so long to me. Enjoy it!

It totally sucks because Zankou chicken is the BEST. I'm so glad I don't live near one anymore. I'm sorry you have to tack on 8 days :( Good luck, and I guess if you ever want to try it again after your whole38 is done, you can always tell them you're allergic to soy and see if they have an alternative 

I am so sorry this happened and I understand how frustrated you are. I would avoid eating at restaurants and I would not allow anyone to cook for me during my whole30. People try to be helpful but they don't understand the rules. They add flour, butter, wine, or sugar without realizing it. They don't understand how hard this is, and when you have to add more days it is even harder. You can do a whole38. Keep the faith.

Archived