After 30 Days I'm a New Woman

cdnj

I've completed my first Whole30 and I'm taking away more than I could have asked for. I started this adventure pretty healthy but with some real food issues. My meals were typically healthy but my snacks were those of someone who binges. Along with that came the feelings of sneakiness, shame and regret. I had a serious sugar addiction. I say had but a few days ago when I threw out the leftover birthday cake from my son's party I had a touch of...sadness, I guess, over not devouring it in private. So maybe, like some addicts, I'll always be that way. Yet at the same time I was also happy that I'm not that person anymore. Whole 30 has given me the self control that I've been looking for my whole adult life. 

I'm proud of myself for making it though the whole time without going off track. That has taught me that I'm stronger than I thought I was. I've learned that I don't NEED snacks, sugar, even alcohol. I like those things but I don't need them.

The other total transformation that happened for me was that, after 16 years, I am no longer a vegetarian. For a few years I have been looking for the courage to try meat again and Whole30 did that for me. It's only been about a week but I know that I'm happy with my decision and so is my body. 

As for my results, I've lost 11.5 lbs. I am so happy with that. I'd like to see how I feel with another 8 less lbs. so, for the most part, I'm sticking with the Whole30 plan until that happens. (Maybe a glass of wine on Friday, though  ;) ) My mood is more stable. No more sugar crashes and mood swings when I'm hungry. It's been weeks since my husband has said,"Maybe you should eat something" because of my mood. My husband has been telling me that even though I've been this weight before, my shape is different. I'm sure part of that has to do with adding weight training but not having sugar and garbage coursing through my body must be helping, too!. He also noticed that my face looks younger and more healthy. (I have a pretty amazing husband!) Lastly, I now drink my coffee black, I don't snack, I eat fat, I eat meat, I'm gluten/grain/dairy free and I love the new me. Thank you to Melissa and Dallas for your life changing book and thank you to the supportive community of Whole30. <3

I'm so glad to read your success. It's giving me hope to keep going--despite the mood swings and feeling like I deserve that piece of cake.

Congratulations on your weight loss and regaining control!

Hi iteach,

Motivation is so important during this. I have to change my mind from feeling like I deserve the treat to I deserve the amazing feeling of health! Of course, now that it's over if I feel like a treat I'll just make a healthier alternative! We all have to live a little! Best of luck to you!

This is just what I needed to read today. I am on my 4th day, and it has been very difficult. I noticed my mood swings are getting out of control. Reading your success story is great motivation for me! Thank you for sharing!

I'm so happy this gave you a little motivation. You should start coming out of those mood swings any day. I can't believe how much more stable my mood is. If things get hard, just remember these tough few days. You'll not want to go through that again! Best of luck to you! 

Congratulations on all you've accomplished on your Whole 30, and thanks for sharing. I'm gearing up to start mine of Monday. I, too, am a "recovering vegetarian", and will be using this Whole30 to slowly reintroduce meats to my diet. Glad to hear it worked for you! 

Congratulations on all you've accomplished on your Whole 30, and thanks for sharing. I'm gearing up to start mine of Monday. I, too, am a "recovering vegetarian", and will be using this Whole30 to slowly reintroduce meats to my diet. Glad to hear it worked for you! 

Good luck on your journey. It's been incredible for me. I couldn't be happier with my decision to reintroduce meat. I hope you're just as happy! 

I'm proud of myself for making it though the whole time without going off track. That has taught me that I'm stronger than I thought I was. I've learned that I don't NEED snacks, sugar, even alcohol. I like those things but I don't need them.

This might be my favorite comment in your whole story. Emphasis added by me. Congratulations on your great success!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! I am embarking on my first Whole 30 on Monday [5/5]. (I am running a half marathon Sunday and thought it best to wait.) I am also coming off of being vegetarian/vegan for the last four years, so I am heartened to hear that a vegetarian of longer standing is having success with Whole 30. Many of my exercising/running buddies are grain-free, and I've recently given that a try. It's been a month, and it feels great. (A grain-free vegetarian, yes...it exists! :lol: )  I'm still finding that I am tired a lot, ready to crash some days by 4pm! I do have some seasonal allergies as well, and the weight loss would be an added perk.  I'm most excited to see if Whole30 gives me that "all-day energy" I keep reading about.  Can't wait to find out.  

Congrats, I loved that you mentioned you don't need  NEED snacks, sugar, even alcohol.

This weekend I've said no to rice krispie treats, oreos, birthday cake, mexican hot chocolate cupcakes, and tonight at a table for 4, 3 people shared a slice of carrot cake and I had to say no thank you. It was hard but I made the commitment and I'm going to DO IT. 

:)

Congrats CDNJ!

audream....sounds like you have the right attitude to be successful. I cant believe how many opportunities popped up during my Whole 30 month that challeneged me. It seemed that every morning meeting I went to had donuts, every afternoon meeting had pizza. Birthday parties, and dinners out were all challenging........AND DEFEATED! Keep up the good work.

Dave

Congrats, I loved that you mentioned you don't need  NEED snacks, sugar, even alcohol.

This weekend I've said no to rice krispie treats, oreos, birthday cake, mexican hot chocolate cupcakes, and tonight at a table for 4, 3 people shared a slice of carrot cake and I had to say no thank you. It was hard but I made the commitment and I'm going to DO IT. 

:)

Sound like you're doing great! I am still mostly whole30 so every time I feel like I have to say no thank you I think about all the awesome foods I've added to my diet and how great I feel. Good luck to you! 

Archived