Day 17 diarrhea and bloating

I'm on day 17 and have felt great, lost weight, had more energy and everything is great except i've had a lot of bloating and diarrhea. I usually never have problems with either one of those things. I don't have constant diarrhea like all day long but everytime I do go, like once a day or every other day,it is like that. Am I doing something wrong, eating too much fats etc?

I'm on day 18 and got the same problem. Everything was fine, I felt great so far but today it got worse. No bloating but I feel pain in stomach and I have diarrhea already half of the day. Please, is this a part of the process? 

• Moderators

I have diarrhea similar to what you describe frequently. I figure it is because I eat kale or other greens as often as twice per day. I don't really worry about it much. You can take over the counter meds if it gets bad.

Bloating suggests something might be wrong. Some people bloat when they eat nuts. Two ideas to address the bloating. If you are eating nuts, stop completely. The other possibility is that your gut is not prepared to fully digest what you are eating and you need to take digestive enzymes for a while as you adjust. You might want to review this article: 

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

You could also try a mini-elimination diet (within an elimination diet... this is like Whole30 inception over here).  If you knock out high-gas foods (for me, nightshades, nuts, eggs, and broccoli) for a few days then slowly add them back in, you'll get a good sense for what's causing your problems.  Personally, I hate the idea of using a digestive enzyme on a program like Whole30, so I'd start with the elimination... but that's me.

Thanks everyone for the response. I guess that in my case it was the steamed cauliflower with broccoli I had for lunch. I need to be careful next time. I was eating broccoli all the time before Whole30 and my body never responded like this. I like the fact that now I learn to see and understand the signals of my body. 

Archived