Sense of smell off?

I googled, didn't find anything specific!

I'm on day 24 of my first Whole 30. The past few days, I've noticed my sense of smell is...off. Very sensitive, finding weird things off-putting (like my daughter's grilled cheese). Is this a thing that happens??

My sense of taste is acting strange too, but it's not nearly as bad as the smell changes.

• 3 years later...

On Day 23, I noticed that I was extra-sensitive to smells. For example, at work, someone in another cubical grouping (not within sight of my desk) was eating Ramen noodles. I could smell the seasoning. I can't leave food in my trash can overnight because the rotting food smell bothers me the next morning. (Like after peeling veggies or trimming fat off meat.) Also, I'm REALLY senisitive to smokers. I can tell when someone 50 feet away and through 5 high cubical walls just came in from smoking. I smelled it and chased it down. The stale smoke smell was on his clothes and breath. However, good smells haven't gone bad to me. I haven't smelled cheese or dairy, so I'm not sure about that. But bacon smells SOOOOO good. Fresh fruit makes my mouth water. I'm assuming that because our sense of smell and taste are tied together, as our taste reverts to natural foods and becomes more sensitive to sugar and salt, our noses are doing the same.

On 4/10/2014 at 10:47 AM, momof2osaurus said:

I'm on day 24 of my first Whole 30. The past few days, I've noticed my sense of smell is...off. Very sensitive, finding weird things off-putting (like my daughter's grilled cheese). Is this a thing that happens??

I totally feel you on this! During my first round of Whole30, I found that I could no longer tolerate certain smells that I hadn't even noticed before, like day-old coffee grounds, the trash bin (which looked clean but clearly needed to be bleached), and chemical smells in cleaning products. LOL, I joked that I had some kind of spidey-sense after all that detoxing. Maybe there's some truth to that!

Archived