Day 5 - I want to stuff my face!!!

HalesBS

Im new to Paleo and this is my first W30 - Im on day 5. Ive signed up for the daily emails and was hoping to notice some improvements. I'm sooooo tired and missing the crap food and struggling. I have been really strict but just want to stuff my face. It feels like this will never change! Hayley  :(

It gets better, truly!  The crap food is frequently loaded with simple carbs, so your body gets 'lazy' using easily converted fuel.  It has to work harder to use fats, so many people get the carb flu when converting.  In a few more days you should be fat-adapted and your system will more easily burn fat for energy.  Don't look for improvements too early.  Many of us ate junk for so long that it takes your body a while to begin to heal.  While some people start to feel different right away, many of us have taken until almost the end of a W30 to do so.  It depends on how much damage you have done, and your body's recuperative powers.

I've found for myself that two factors often play into the desire to stuff my face (I'm on day five, too, and am feeling it). First, so much of eating is actually habitual. Maybe you're used to topping off a meal with a treat but since you aren't eating treats, your body thinks you're not finished the meal. Things like that. The second thing I ran into for my last Whole30 is that it took my body a week or so to adjust to different meal sizes. I kept feeling very full at meals only to find myself hungry in  a couple of hours and wanting to snack. It seemed like eventually my body was able to eat more at the meals and go without between meals. 

And give yourself a few more days to feel better, especially if you're new to paleo and Whole30. Hang in there - it does get better!

Don't be discouraged.  When you start a Whole30 it gets worse before it gets (ALOT) better.  Stick through this week and the beginning of next.  You can do it. You are retraining your brain and body out of years of old habits.  Don't be afraid of good fat. Fat is good for you and will help keep you from being hungry. You need fat as fuel!

Hi there.

This looks like a good place to post my question/comment.  I'm on day 8 of Whole30.  Yesterday was INTENSELY hard with cravings!!!  But I made it through.  Having "days" behind me, and reading others comments, and the daily e-mails is definitely helping me to stay the course!  I've been feeling slightly dizzy and foggy the last few days.  Also have been sticking to 3 meals a day.  But my salads at lunch and dinner (which I absolutely love!)  are quite huge!  My question is ... about fat.  Can I be having too much?  The last few days I've been having 2 whole avocados a day.  One in my lunchtime salad, and one in my dinner salad.  Along with 2 tablespoons of Udo Oil and apple cider vinegar as dressing.  Yes, I know its a lot.  But its keeping me from snacking, that's for sure!!  Those meals definitely keep me full and satisfied for 4+ hours.  I have been telling myself to go ahead if that's what I need to do to stay with it.  My plan is around day 14ish to cut it back to half an avocado at lunch and dinner. (or maybe try something else for those meals) I tend to stay with those meals, because I love them so much.  I should say, that I am not looking to lose any weight.  My goal with the Whole30 reset is to attempt to slay my sugar dragon.  And get a stretch of time in without "cheating". 

I'd love some feedback from those "in the know".

Thank you, I really appreciate the motivation I find on these forums, and all the advanced members, and moderators comments!!!!!

Hi there.

This looks like a good place to post my question/comment.  I'm on day 8 of Whole30.  Yesterday was INTENSELY hard with cravings!!!  But I made it through.  Having "days" behind me, and reading others comments, and the daily e-mails is definitely helping me to stay the course!  I've been feeling slightly dizzy and foggy the last few days.  Also have been sticking to 3 meals a day.  But my salads at lunch and dinner (which I absolutely love!)  are quite huge!  My question is ... about fat.  Can I be having too much?  The last few days I've been having 2 whole avocados a day.  One in my lunchtime salad, and one in my dinner salad.  Along with 2 tablespoons of Udo Oil and apple cider vinegar as dressing.  Yes, I know its a lot.  But its keeping me from snacking, that's for sure!!  Those meals definitely keep me full and satisfied for 4+ hours.  I have been telling myself to go ahead if that's what I need to do to stay with it.  My plan is around day 14ish to cut it back to half an avocado at lunch and dinner. (or maybe try something else for those meals) I tend to stay with those meals, because I love them so much.  I should say, that I am not looking to lose any weight.  My goal with the Whole30 reset is to attempt to slay my sugar dragon.  And get a stretch of time in without "cheating". 

I'd love some feedback from those "in the know".

Thank you, I really appreciate the motivation I find on these forums, and all the advanced members, and moderators comments!!!!!

That doesn't sound like too much fat to me. The suggestions on the meal template are minimums. I am concerned that you are feeling dizzy and foggy though. It sounds like you have perhaps overcut your carbs and might not be getting enough salt. Are you eating any starchy vegetables? It sounds like you might be eating the same thing every day, could you give us a little more detail on what that is for all three meals?

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I would love some feedback on my diet.  I do eat the same thing everyday.  Although this is my first Whole30, I have been eating this way for about 5 months.  But tend to cheat every 3 - 9 days or so.  (sugar!)

This is my menu;

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with ground beef, and tons of broccoli, cauliflower and spinach

Lunch - Huge mixed green salad with cucumbers celery, pepper, sprouts, Chicken breast, avocado, Udo oil and apple cider vinegar for dressing

Dinner - Huge mixed green salad with cucumbers, celery, tomatoe, sprouts, avocado, ground beef, and Udo oil/vinegar dressing

I don't eat any starchy vegetables but feel I must get enough carbs with all the veggies I do eat.

I also weight train intensely 5 days or 6 a week, and I do have quite a bit of muscle.  I am 44 years old.

I was just assuming that the dizzy (its just a little bit) and headachy feeling was my body transitioning to fat burning.

I would like to find the optimal way for me to eat so I stop giving into the sugar cravings though!!!!

Whatever it takes!

Thanks!

Steph

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I would love some feedback on my diet.  I do eat the same thing everyday.  Although this is my first Whole30, I have been eating this way for about 5 months.  But tend to cheat every 3 - 9 days or so.  (sugar!)

This is my menu;

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with ground beef, and tons of broccoli, cauliflower and spinach

Lunch - Huge mixed green salad with cucumbers celery, pepper, sprouts, Chicken breast, avocado, Udo oil and apple cider vinegar for dressing

Dinner - Huge mixed green salad with cucumbers, celery, tomatoe, sprouts, avocado, ground beef, and Udo oil/vinegar dressing

I don't eat any starchy vegetables but feel I must get enough carbs with all the veggies I do eat.

I also weight train intensely 5 days or 6 a week, and I do have quite a bit of muscle.  I am 44 years old.

I was just assuming that the dizzy (its just a little bit) and headachy feeling was my body transitioning to fat burning.

I would like to find the optimal way for me to eat so I stop giving into the sugar cravings though!!!!

Whatever it takes!

Thanks!

Steph

Your meals look pretty good. Not sure how large your protein servings are on those salads but with 5-6 days a week of intense weight training you could probably move up to 2 palm sized servings on each if you are not already. I might also try adding another egg to your omelette. I think you would be surprised how few carbs are in what your are eating. Don't forget to do a post workout meal of lean protein and starchy vegetables 15-30 minutes after your weight training as well. You want to feed your recovery. Are you salting your foods? The previous cheating with sugar every 3-9 days is another flag to me that this might be much too low carb for your level of activity. 

It is so nice to get some advice on this! Wow I really appreciate it!

I salt my salads quite a bit - and enjoy it!!

I think sometimes my protein servings are closer to two palms.. definitely one and a half.

I weight train in the morning and come home and have my breakfast right away.  So I feel that is my post workout meal.  I read in the book not to include your 3 main meals as your post workout meal.  But with the size of my meals, and the timing of the day, I don't see where to add in another one.  Yes I could make my meals smaller and have 4 meals I guess... but I have spent 2 years training for a figure competition where I had 5 small meals a day (that always left me still wanting more)  and I'm so tired of eating that way.

The one thing I know I should probably not do is put off eating in the morning.  But I really don't like to train with anything in my stomach, so I usually just have one cup of black coffee and go.  I'm home within an hour or an hour and a half, and then I eat.

I would like to stay away from the starchy vegetables, but maybe I should add something to my breakfast/post workout meal.  It is very satisfying as it is.  I am usually not ready for lunch for about 4 hours after.

Steph

My suggestion is this - eat something in the morning, it doesn't need to be a lot. A single hard boiled egg would do. Having food in your stomach within an hour of waking is important for hormone balancing. If it takes you an hour or so to get home I would have something like chicken breast and sweet potato waiting for you to eat as soon as you are done at the gym and then eat your meal 1 as planned when you get home. I'll be the first to admit I'm not particularly good at the post workout meal, but I definitely understand its benefits and have been trying to get myself there. 

Archived