Finished my Whole30 - VERY disappointed!

DenKoolio

Well, I finished my Whole30, and unfortunately the onlyl positive results I have from this experience is knowing I have the discipline within myself to stay away from sugar, grains, legumes, alcohol, dairy and processed foods for a full 34 days.  No cheats, no slip ups, just like they said not to do.

All in all, I can say this was not a successful 30 days, and I am disappointed with the results.

Things that were supposed to have improved that did not:

• Bloating - I still have bloating after meals, especially breakfast. I've had to reduce my breakfast.
  • GI Issues -  I have multiple bouts of diarrhea in a day, in fact, I think there have been a total of 4 days during these 30 where my bowel movements were "normal".
  • Sleeping - I have not been slept well at all since starting this program. I have even cut out coffee completely, and that has not helped my sleeping. I was sleeping well before the program though, so I find that to be odd.
  • Improvements in skin - my eczema has flared up the worst I have ever seen it in my life, and I haven't had a flare up since I was 10 years old.
  • Allergies - my allergies have also been worse than what I remember them to be in the spring.
  • Weight - I did not weigh myself during the process, I did weight myself before and then once I was done with the program.  A total of 2 lb weight loss. I have been working out more, but the work outs are focusing on cardio and the smaller auxiliary muscles, so I am not gaining tons of muscle through my work outs. I know it is not about weight-loss, but my overall health I don't find has improved so dramatically as was predicted.

Everyone is built differently, and perhaps the Paleo diet is not for everyone?  It does make me sad and frustrated though, as I had heard so many good things about this program I was sure it would make visible improvements.  I will have to research and find another way to improve my health, as this clearly is not the way for me to go.

I will have to say, my confidence has been restored in my ability and willingness to make significant changes toward my health because of these past 30 days. That is something, right?

Sorry to hear about your issues! 

I've noticed this is your first post.  Are you able to post a couple of days meal plans so folks might be able to troubleshoot for you?  There is more to this sometimes than just "being 100% compliant"

For instance - if you eat a lot of nuts - that could be a big contributor to sleep, and bloating.  (Believe it or not nuts are a big contributor for both for me personally)

DenKoolio,

How disappointing to not have results after 34 days!  I'm sorry.  I've seen similar comments from a few others and wondered how that could be?  I'm on my first Whole30.  I'm on Day 5 - just beginning the journey so it remains to be seen if the Whole30 will help me.  I wasn't Paleo before.  Just found the book, read it and decided to do it.  I'm sorry to hear that your journey was not what I'm sure you expected it to be.  Maybe one of the moderators will have some encouragement or suggestions for you.  Sometimes they can see things in our diet journals that we might have missed.

On the positive side, you did it!  And if you could do the Whole30, you can probably do just about anything.  Congratulations on that. That IS something!   I wish you the best.

That really is a bummer - after all of that hard work. You might want to check out Paleo Mom and her AIP protocol to see if there isn't some Whole30 compliant food that isn't good for you in particular, like tomatoes or something. Still, I would have thought the Whole30 would have shown some improvement for you. I in no way have some of the expertise like others on here, but I also wonder if things like the eczema could have actually been a detox - the skin is usually the last to react - could it have been your body's way of cleaning from the inside out. Likewise, could the bloating have been from a die off/detox of bad gut bacteria - you stopped feeding them sugar. 

I still think there's something to be said for learning that you can control your eating and can focus on nourishing foods. Sorry things didn't go more smoothly. 

Congratulaions on completing the whole30mprogram! It takes a lot of self disciplne to give up favorites. You did not mention much about your medical history? I'm thinking, they say it takes 3 weeks or so to see some of these types of  improvements. So kaybe if 30 days is average, you needed more time. I'm also curious as to your eating habits prior to your 30 days? You only lost 2 pounds? To keep things in perspective, how many pounds were you hoping to loose? Do your clothes fit any better?

I am on my 3rd whole30 and did not get any spectacular results on my first two. This time I am trying a few different things that might help you. 1) I drink nighty night tea to help me sleep. It can take a few days to build up in your system. 2) I am avoiding eggs, nuts and nightshades ( tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and of course white potatoes) I am not trying to do the full AIP 3) I am drinking 8 glasses of water a day 4) I am working out harder this time. 5) I am taking digestive enzymes. 6) I changed my probiotic from vital 10 to pro 5. I am on day 20 I am still bloated but not as much as when I started. I don't think I have lost any weight yet. Although I would like to lose weight I would also like sleep better and feel better.

Tina R. - You're doing some of the things I will do if I don't feel better 2-3 weeks into my first Whole30.  Especially the eggs and nuts.  I'm not eating many nuts but I'm having eggs every day.  I'm not eating the nightshades and I'm staying clear of onions, garlic and hot stuff (acid reflux is one of my issues).  I'm definitely going to use this diet as an elimination diet at the end of my 30 days if I'm feeling good.  It's such a great opportunity to zero in on what isn't working for you in your diet.  But you really need to be feeling better first or you can't clearly identify your trigger foods.  At least that's what I've found.  

sorry you were disappointed. Im afraid it is impossible to know what went wrong without more context (health issues, stress levels, exercise habits, typical food intake on the whole30, etc.). Just avoiding the "no list" of foods may not be enough. Feel free to write with more information and we can troubleshoot things for you.

Archived