Sick of Justifying My Diet

ErynRNY

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main difference between a HC and McDonalds is less fat and calories. Other than that, I don't really see a difference. Both are not good for you to eat regularly.

Why wouldn't a whole food diet (not necessarialy a true W30) be appropriate for everyone? It's what nature intended us to eat. Paleo is just another name for a whole food diet.

Why tell anyone anything. The more you reveal to people the more power and information you give them. One person said to me "look at you eating weight watcher style. "

I just smiled and kept eating. Who cares how I eat. It's my choice. Ignore them. Tell them. Nothing. Just eat.

Calories and fat, yes, but also vitamins, minerals, and fiber.  As to the second question, I'm not a doctor so I won't speculate, but there are plenty of medical conditions that require specific diets (many of which would not be Paleo-compatible).

Just a question, have you read It Starts With Food?

If I'm secure and comfortable in my food choices, and I know they're the best and healthiest for me, what difference does it make what my coworker eats, whether it's McDonald's, healthy choice frozen dinners, or whatever? And why would I care if they think what I eat is weird? If someone is outright rude, then be firm and set boundaries. Otherwise, I agree with Peg541-- just eat. Don't defend. Don't proselytize. Don't judge. Just eat.

This is completely off the main topic, but just as a helpful suggestion i thought I'd mention that for heating up my lunches at work I got this personal crock pot. http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BL-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8RG. I plug it in when i get to work and within an hour or two the food is at perfect eating temperature and stays that way for hours. No food smell at all until you open the container to eat. Saves me from having to use the office microwave. It's not a real crock pot because it doesn't cook. Just for reheating leftovers.

That is really cool. I wish I needed one. I'm not at work long enough to eat anything. Just learning how to take NO snack to work is a miracle for me. My meals are enough. I'm hardly hungry. I carry a packet of almond butter (compliant) just in case. Still I adore appliances and want one.

Brilliant! I hate using the microwave anyway...this solves my problem!

This is completely off the main topic, but just as a helpful suggestion i thought I'd mention that for heating up my lunches at work I got this personal crock pot. http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BL-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8RG. I plug it in when i get to work and within an hour or two the food is at perfect eating temperature and stays that way for hours. No food smell at all until you open the container to eat. Saves me from having to use the office microwave. It's not a real crock pot because it doesn't cook. Just for reheating leftovers.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man!  I work at a college and share a microwave with a bunch of student employees (which means it's never clean).  This will be great to have instead! 

Also, while I'm here I wanted to add that I've also been having trouble "justifying" my choices to people.  I'm having a joint-birthday picnic this weekend and we just decided that everyone should fend for themselves because of my "weird food restrictions." The funny thing is, my friend who is judging me has been complaining for years about all the weight she has gained after having two kids, yet she just plans on picking up hot dogs and fries for the picnic.  Hot dogs and fries!? I'm super excited to grill up a bunch of grass fed burgers and chicken with a ton of grilled veggies.  And you know what, I already know she is going to make some snide comment about how it must be nice to not have kids and be so thin.  UGH!!!! 

I can tolerate my coworkers comments, as they are admittedly unhealthy and already think of me as the weird hippy girl, which is fine.  But it's my friends whose criticism hurts the most.  They aren't even interested in what I am doing or why I'm doing it.  I don't need them to convert to Whole30, but I do want them to respect my choices.  I had a friend say the other day "Oh, you're just tired because you aren't eating meat or carbs." And I was like "Are you even listening to me?!"

Ok, rant over.  I'm going to buy a baby crockpot now!

I knew I was going to get a lot of crap from some people because I'm not overweight and that makes some people angry/jealous/defensive. This is why I tell them I was getting horrible stomach cramps (true) and that it's an elimination diet to rule out any food sensitivities (true). When I tell them that they back off instantly because it makes them feel better about their own poor choices and not that I'm trying to be better than they are, but I'm doing it because something is WRONG with ME. I leave out the part about doing it for optimum health and to look great and feel great and have more energy as well. They assume I'm just going to weed out the troublesome food and then go back to eating all other crap. It's just easier to handle it that way, most people understand food intolerance and how miserable it can be and accept it easily.

Also, while I'm here I wanted to add that I've also been having trouble "justifying" my choices to people.  I'm having a joint-birthday picnic this weekend and we just decided that everyone should fend for themselves because of my "weird food restrictions." The funny thing is, my friend who is judging me has been complaining for years about all the weight she has gained after having two kids, yet she just plans on picking up hot dogs and fries for the picnic.  Hot dogs and fries!? I'm super excited to grill up a bunch of grass fed burgers and chicken with a ton of grilled veggies.  And you know what, I already know she is going to make some snide comment about how it must be nice to not have kids and be so thin.  UGH!!!! 

That would piss me off. I'm actually 20 pounds thinner than I was before I had kids and I've got 2 kids 4 and under!

I knew I was going to get a lot of crap from some people because I'm not overweight and that makes some people angry/jealous/defensive. This is why I tell them I was getting horrible stomach cramps (true) and that it's an elimination diet to rule out any food sensitivities (true). When I tell them that they back off instantly because it makes them feel better about their own poor choices and not that I'm trying to be better than they are, but I'm doing it because something is WRONG with ME. I leave out the part about doing it for optimum health and to look great and feel great and have more energy as well. They assume I'm just going to weed out the troublesome food and then go back to eating all other crap. It's just easier to handle it that way, most people understand food intolerance and how miserable it can be and accept it easily.

I've been doing the same thing with people who I'm not super close to to save me time and effort in explaining why I'm not eating pizza at lunch like everybody else.  I do think I have mild food irritations, and I have been having a ton of skin and seasonal allergy issues, so I'm hoping this helps take care of those things too.  Also, I just want to not be tired all the time!  I'm in my early 30s and feeling like this is the best part of my life so far.  I want to be healthy, stay healthy, and live long and healthy! What's so bad about that?  I enjoyed PLENTY of bad food in my college years. 

It's just a shame that we have to use food intolerance as an "excuse" when all the other reasons seem perfectly logical to me! I wish more people saw it that way.

I love that I'm no longer bone tired by 4 pm or getting dizzy spells or constantly hungry and thirsty and always bloated but people are less accepting of eating to feel wonderful in those ways than they are of the thought of explosive diarrhea and cramping for some reason. I don't see how being exhausted is any better than stomach cramps but it makes people feel better.

I just say I have an intestinal disorder and need to eat this way to stay healthy. If someone questioned it in a not-so-nice way I'd just say that it is my choice and they don't have to worry, I am doing fine. The less fuss I make about it, the less my food choices will provoke others.

Also, I never judge somebody else's food. And I think that is key.

• Moderators

Oh man!  I work at a college and share a microwave with a bunch of student employees (which means it's never clean).  This will be great to have instead! 

I can tolerate my coworkers comments, as they are admittedly unhealthy and already think of me as the weird hippy girl, which is fine.  But it's my friends whose criticism hurts the most.  They aren't even interested in what I am doing or why I'm doing it.  I don't need them to convert to Whole30, but I do want them to respect my choices.  I had a friend say the other day "Oh, you're just tired because you aren't eating meat or carbs." And I was like "Are you even listening to me?!"

Ok, rant over.  I'm going to buy a baby crockpot now!

I can relate. None of my friends have been jerks about it, but none of my close friends have any interest in trying Whole30, either.

I've always been the one reading about and "informing" everyone of the latest health/eating info so I guess they think it is just one more thing (eggs are good for you, no wait they're bad, no now they're good ... you can see why people don't feel too bad about eating what they want when the "authorities" keep changing their minds).

It's really tough, but the advice that works best is just smile and carry on and be the example. Think of it like a secret - the less you tell people about it, the more they'll get curious. Especially when they see your energy, clearer skin, leaner physique, etc.

It may just take awhile.

And don't even pay the bitter people any attention at all. There have always been and will always be people who resent anyone making an effort to better themselves. They're called haters. They're unhappy but they don't know how to take action to change that.

• 7 months later...

I don't and wouldn't make up any imaginary illness to justify a Whole 30.  I tell the truth when someone asks me.    Start making up an imaginary illness and you might psychosomatically talk yourself into one.   Tell the truth and you'll never have to make excuses to appease anyone's curiousity.

I just end the conversation when anyone tries to berate me for my food choices.  What I put in my mouth or don't put in my mouth is definitely not anyone else's business.

These are the foods I eat because they fuel my body in a healthy way.  I'm happy to have a polite conversation, and I respect other people's food choices.  I like talking about it, but I don't tolerate judgmental attitudes.

I hear ya ErynRNY! I tell myself those types of people just don't have the resolve or discipline to eat in a healthy manner. I started paleo last summer and a new job a month ago. Holy cow paleo was easy when it was just me and my son at home! At the time I didn't think it was easy, but in comparison to where I work where they bring in doughnuts and cupcakes every week and we have had 4 holiday parties where they served nothing but desserts ... oh man.

At one party one guy wouldn't leave me alone about how I "needed to eat" (mind you, I am NOT skinny, I need to lose weight). He kept asking WHY I wouldn't have desserts. I finally said, "Becuase I am THAT person. Someone's gotta be!" Then he backed off ... but I feel your pain ... why should anyone have to justify their healthy actions to anyone else? Ugh!

Wow, I can't believe the comments on this post have continued for so long! Thanks everyone for the great advice and sharing your stories! I started my 3rd Whole30 on Jan 1st and this time around, I am just going about my business, saying "no thank you" when someone offers me food that is not compliant and ignoring any goodies that people bring in. Actually, when I have to walk past any goodies that are out around the office (like the cookies a co-worker brought in this morning), in my head I am telling them "cookies (or bagels, or whatever), you have no power over me!" Yes, I am actually talking to the junk food! It works!

Wow, I can't believe the comments on this post have continued for so long! Thanks everyone for the great advice and sharing your stories! I started my 3rd Whole30 on Jan 1st and this time around, I am just going about my business, saying "no thank you" when someone offers me food that is not compliant and ignoring any goodies that people bring in. Actually, when I have to walk past any goodies that are out around the office (like the cookies a co-worker brought in this morning), in my head I am telling them "cookies (or bagels, or whatever), you have no power over me!" Yes, I am actually talking to the junk food! It works!  :D

I recommend hugs for the challenges you face and then serious self talk because the world is full of breakrooms populated with people who don't and won't eat like you want to.  We might as well get used to it if we want our health as a priority.   

I just went through this yesterday. I'm one my third day so I already am not feeling my best but I'm determined to stick with this - it's only 30 days after all. Well my daughter is a girl scout so of course cookie sales are starting - one of the troop moms had the new flavor of cookies and opened them up. She shoved them under my nose and said "here" expecting me to eat one. I politely said no thank you and she responded with "you have to it's the new flavor." I again said no thank you and finally another mom, who knows I'm doing Whole30 stepped in.

I think it is ridculous that when an adult says no that she is ignored. Now I just need to get through girl scout cookie selling without eatting any.

Archived