Prolonged aerobic exercise...not good for your heart???

Carolyn

I need a little reinforcement here guys...I'm a long distance runner and came across something I have read before (BUT chose to ignore) and that is according to Nora Gedgaudas author of Primal Body Primal mind. "...brief bouts of anerobic exertion" is better for your heart than prolonged aerobic excecise! Am I doing damage to my heart? I know it makes me feel better....but uuuuh I need my heart...

Can someone PLEASE SAY it ain't so!!! :P

Do you ever take walk breaks? I follow the Jeff Galloway running method and he feels taking walk beaks will make you faster in the long run, as well as give your heart little breaks over the course of the run. I think a lot of paleo/primal people think distance running is bad for you, but I think it can be part of a healthy overall lifestyle.

Listen to your body.  Stay hydrated.  I started running to lose weight when I was 52.  Trained for and ran my first marathon three years later.  In the last 7 years I've run 8 full marathons averaging 4:20.  No heart issues.  That said, I surely won't promote running 26.2 miles as being good for your health.   For me the 13.1 distance will now be challenge enough.  You don't say what a long distance is to you.  I do fine without hydration up to 8 miles.  Than I carry water.  I understand that as we lose fluids, our blood will thicken and make the heart work harder.  After double digit miles my blood pressure will drop 20 points.  I'll admit to having concerns about long distance running and heart damage.   I hope my heart gives me a clue if it needs a rest.  I still like knowing that I'm a long distance runner.   I believe the studies of a healthy heart from distance running greatly outnumber the ones that say it's detrimental.  

Thank you that was very helpful! I'm gearing up for my 8th full marathon...I'm super slow...(like 4:40 plus...best time was 3:55...that was a LONG time ago!!!) so I hope that gives my heart a break...I'm pretty good about hydration..I also race in the cooler climates...me and NJ humdidty don't get along very well... :P.

I also read that prolonged aerobic exercise causes an increase in cortisol?? I always thought exercise decreased cortisol levels...I'm soooo confused. 

So yes based on this feed back I will take walk breaks like the Jeff Galloway way (thank you for the resource dipitie :) ) AND stay hydrated...KEEP on RUNNIN'  yay!!   

I also read that prolonged aerobic exercise causes an increase in cortisol?? I always thought exercise decreased cortisol levels...I'm soooo confused. 

This is so dependent on the individual it can be hard to understand, but basically this: some amount of exercise is good, but too much exercise (too long a duration, too intense, etc) can be perceived as stress in the body, which increases cortisol levels. Your personal context will determine how much is too much, and that might change over time. If you have other stressors in your life (work, relationships, etc.) or if you have injuries or other health issues, the amount of exercise you can tolerate may change dramatically.

I run ultra marathons and have for many years. I'm mid-forties and aside from carrying an extra few pounds, I've never had any heart troubles. I just started W30 (3 days in) to try and lose the stubborn spare tire before the next race (an extra 15 pounds is a lot to carry for 100 miles!). While road marathons are killer on the legs and joints - I don't buy they cause heart problems; however, if you have a pre-existing condition then that is another story. In general, I find trail runners to be happier, healthier and more balanced than any other athlete. 

I completely agree! I prefer trail running over road hands down...my issue is my vision. I don't wear my eye glasses when I run on roads...but trails can be tricky...it usually never ends well for me...so I hike trails...while wearing my glasses...lol! Much safer that way for me.  :P Happy running have a great day!

I think trail is so different that road - all that scenery! :)

I run ultra marathons and have for many years. I'm mid-forties and aside from carrying an extra few pounds, I've never had any heart troubles. I just started W30 (3 days in) to try and lose the stubborn spare tire before the next race (an extra 15 pounds is a lot to carry for 100 miles!). While road marathons are killer on the legs and joints - I don't buy they cause heart problems; however, if you have a pre-existing condition then that is another story. In general, I find trail runners to be happier, healthier and more balanced than any other athlete. 

Well I think a welcome aboard is in order! yay! You motivated me..I am recovering from a dog vs. groundhog vs. me incident. Didn't turn out too well for the groundhog (or me). AND I learned a valuable lesson...don't mess with an American Bulldog and a groundhog!! ANyway...I was JUST getting back into the serious (well MORE serious :D ) training for my next marathon in October..and will resume tomorrow. I too am carrying a few extra pounds I seem to have found over the winter...lol. I know one thing for sure...no matter what the final consensus is on prolonged exercise being good or not so good for your heart...being overweight can't be much better. Good luck with your W30...it is an eye opening experience that can lead to life long health...and MORE YEARS of RACING!! yay!!      

Hahaha I have fallen so many times trail running, it's not even funny! I was training for a trail relay last summer and probably posted at least 10 different photos of bruises, cuts, etc. during that time.

What marathon are you doing in October? I'm training for the Nike Womens Marathon in San Francisco, doing a modified Galloway training plan.

Hahaha I have fallen so many times trail running, it's not even funny! I was training for a trail relay last summer and probably posted at least 10 different photos of bruises, cuts, etc. during that time.

What marathon are you doing in October? I'm training for the Nike Womens Marathon in San Francisco, doing a modified Galloway training plan.

Well I'll be on the opposite side of the country...if all goes well :P ...I will be running Mt. Desert Island (Maine)...I bring my dogs...and after the marathon I spend the week hiking :D Acadia National Park...it is a MUST DO...marathon! I ran Big Sur in CA...I bet San Francisco is awesome! At the moment I am recovering from some injuries (dog vs ground hog vs me) oops! Planning on a walk / run re-intro in the morning. I am going to get the Galloway book this weekend...thank you so much for the info!  I think a run walk approach is a safer bet...I have to drop my winter coat! LOL!!! :P Happy & safe running!!! The trail relay sounds like fun...minus the bumps & bruises & cuts... :huh:     

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Are you familiar with Phil Maffetone's ? He uses a Maximum Aerobic Function training approach that keeps your heart rate somewhat low. He also advocates eating the way we eat on Whole30, basically, though he doesn't call it Paleo or Whole30.

Maffetone's Big Book of Endurance Racing and Training is an excellent read and resource if you are concerned about your heart, adrenal fatigue, or are a runner who has been injured. I highly recommend it.

Archived