What do you find yourself making again and again?

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Wanted to add a new one.  Super easy.  A W60 in the bag and I'm totally on the minimalist-cooking train now :)

This is the method I use to cook most meats now that don't require an all day cooking time (like brisket).  

Preheat oven to 350.  Using a heavy bottomed pot (I use my Dutch oven) - open package of drumsticks and drop them in the pot.  Season liberally with smoked paprika and some salt and pepper.  Shake the pot so the drumsticks get coated as evenly as you can.  Slice up one onion and break up the slices and add them to the pot.  Add water to almost, but not quite, cover the drumsticks.  Cook for 3-3.5 hrs or until the water is almost gone.  Remove the meat from the bones and add it back to the pot if you want to mix up with the onions.  Or not :)  The upward facing parts of the drumsticks should be crispy enough that you might just want to eat them!

We ate this last night with broiled Asian eggplant, pan fried broccoli and a citrus slaw.  I put this BBQ sauce on the table but I don't think either of us took any.  So good :)

Best thing ever, especially if you're in a rush:

Guacamole-stuffed burgers.  For each burger, make two 3-oz patties with some guac sandwiched in the middle, seal the edges really well (you can add an egg to the ground beef to help it bind more easily), and cook 'em up. SO GOOD and with the creamy guacamole, you would never want a cheeseburger. I like to serve them with Kohlrabi fries (http://fiveandspice.com/2012/03/16/chili-dusted-kohlrabi-fries/) and kale chips, or, if I'm grilling, grilled marinated summer squash (marinate yellow squash in red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, paprika, onion powder, and garlic) and a green salad.

I'll also combine just about any veggies with ground beef, sliced chicken breast, or shrimp and stir-fry them with red curry paste and coconut milk, served on top of cauliflower rice. Dinner in 15 minutes!

Scotch eggs, from Well Fed - I make a different flavour combo every week (basically just chuck in spices with some variety of minced meat) and then have them for breakfast most days. This week I used Chinese Five Spice with pork mince, last week I had beef mince with spring onions, garlic and some mixed herbs.

• 4 weeks later...

This: http://www.sarahramsden.com/nutrient-rich-salad-for-the-time-poor/

I started making it a month ago and I am sharing this link everywhere I can. I love it that much. I tweaked it for my own tastes but it is the most convenient thing EVER. If I need lunch I just grab a handful or two and dump it into a container, top it with meat and S&P, and off I go.

I also make roasted chicken breasts ALL THE TIME. Bone-in, skin-on breasts, brushed with clarified butter, sea salt and black pepper, 375 for 1.5-2 hours depending on how big they are. Roasted broccoli is the usual side, it gets thrown in the oven for the last 40 minutes. Can't lose. I make everyone put their bones in my big ziplock bags in the freezer so I can make stock. It's summertime so I have at least 5 full bags of chicken bones ready and waiting.

Archived