First Whole30 for mangio_bene

mangio_bene

I'm starting my first Whole30 tomorrow (Monday 14 April).

I already eat mostly whole foods so the major changes for me will be no potatoes, cheese or alcohol for 30 days.  I prefer tart, savory and bitter flavors over sweet ones so sugar isn't much of an issue.  I bought ghee yesterday for cooking my eggs.  My freezer is full and menus for the week have been planned.

Yesterday, I was explaining the Whole30 to my boyfriend and how I was beginning on Monday and his response was "you mean we're beginning on Monday, don't you" since he lives with me.   He'll be doing it too by default since we cook together though he won't give up cream in his coffee.  At least I was able to get him to take cream to work instead of using the fake stuff a few months ago. 

We bought huge grass fed rib-eyes yesterday that we're grilling tonight and we'll use the leftovers for steak salads for lunches the next day or two.  I already cook up the weeks breakfast on Sunday nights which for this week will be my home-made chorizo and scrambled eggs with sauteed greens.

I'm looking forward to day 1 tomorrow.

Day 1

1 espresso, 1 iced americano

M1: homemade chorizo, fennel, spinach egg scramble

M2: steak salad: mixed greens, tomatoes, left-over grass feed rib-eye (no dressing)

M3: kale soup with homemade sicilian sausage meatballs, sparkling water with a splash of unsweeted cranberry juice, small valencia orange

This isn't all that different than what I'd typically eat on a Monday.  The only real difference was substituting ghee/olive oil for butter and bacon since the kale soup would typically have bacon and potatoes in it.   This kale soup wasn't too bad albeit a bit bland but bacon makes everything better so I'll be searching for sugar free bacon this weekend. I also don't eat much fruit other than berries but last weeks CSA box had oranges.

Day 2

M1: homemade chorizo, fennel, spinach egg scramble

M2: steak salad: mixed greens, tomatoes, left-over grass feed rib-eye with olive oil and balsamico

Snack: handful of mixed nuts

M3: kale soup with homemade sicilian sausage meatballs, sparkling water with a splash of unsweeted cranberry juice, mixed greens with tomatoes, olive oil and balsamico

There's usually 6-8 hours between lunch and dinner as I work long hours so while I'll try not to snack if I'm starving I will have to have some nuts. Drank about eight glasses of water, something I'm trying to be more consistent about.  Finished up all the leftovers from the last couple of days. After dinner we walked for to the store and back to pick up a few things.  About three miles round trip. 

Day 3 (yesterday)

M1: homemade chorizo, fennel, spinach egg scramble and cucumber/tomato salad w/olive oil and balsamico

M2: buffalo patty, salad: romaine, tomatoes olive oil and balsamico

M3: grilled chicken thighs, sage mashed carrots, sauteed broccoli and onions, sparkling water with a splash of unsweeted cranberry juice

It was a tough afternoon because I was hungy in the afternoon and I forgot to put nuts in my bag.  In the past when I was hungry I chewed gum but I can't even do that now. I added some cucumber/tomato to breakfast to try to increase my vegetable intake. 

Day 4

M1: homemade chorizo, fennel, spinach egg scramble and cucumber/tomato salad w/olive oil and balsamico

M2: grilled chicken thighs, sage mashed carrots, sauteed broccoli and onions

Snack: handful of macademia nuts

M3: buffalo patty, mashed cauliflower

Drank 8+ glasses of water yesterday and today.  I need to go shopping.  I'm out of veggies other than romaine. Also, we dropped my car off for service after dinner and walked the two miles home for a bit of exercise.  So far this has been relatively easy for me but this weekend will be a challenge.  I have a function tomorrow night where I'll pre-eat but also have to take food so I will take something compliant to snack on and Saturday we're going out for sushi with some friends.  My plan is to go with sashimi and a salad.  That seems the safest way to go though I might be able to get them to make me a special handroll with only meat and avocado.  We'll see.  :)

Day 5

1 iced americano

M1: eggs fried in coconut oil and cucumber/tomato salad w/olive oil and balsamico

M2: grilled chicken thighs, mashed caulifower

M3: pork sausage, large salad: romaine, endive, radicchio, radish and tomatoes w/olive oil and balsamico

Snack: mixed berries, carrots and celery

I took mixed berries to my social function this evening.  Someone else had brought carrots and celery so I had a few of those along with my berries.  This partiuclar group of people are very supportive of each others efforts to be healthy so no issues at all with them.  I also found out we're going to some relatives of my boyfriends for Easter dinner so I'm planning to do the same thing.  I'll eat before we go and take fruit so I have something to nibble on while there.  It's a large gathering and I know from past experience that there will be a huge amount of food, including fresh veggies that I can eat too.  

It seems to me that socializing is  going to be the thing to give me the most difficulty staying 100% compliant.

Day 7

1 iced americano

M1: eggs fried in ghee, cucumber/tomato salad

M2: veggie assortment, salad, turkey

M3: eggs fried in ghee, huge salad: romaine, radicchio, tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil, balsamico

Boring food day.  I intend to have more variety this coming week.  I made the breakfasts for the week.  Scrambled eggs and a hash made from turnips, onions and homemade breakfast sausage.  Not sure I like the turnips cooked this way but I can live with it for the next four days. 

Day 8

M1: scrambled eggs with breakfast sausage/turnip hash, cucumber/tomato salad

M2: bison patty, sald: romaine, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamico

M3: sauteed mushrooms, mashed cauliflower, rabbit cooked in vegetable broth with olives, shallots, rosemary and thyme

after dinner: hot herbal tea

The bf and I don't much like the turnip hash.  It's a little odd and we miss our potatoes.  But we can deal with it for the week..

Day 9

M1: scrambled eggs with breakfast sausage/turnip hash, cucumber/tomato salad

M2: bison patty, salad: romaine, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamico

M3: mashed cauliflower leftovers cooked in onions and garlic, leftover rabbit from yesterday.

Day 10

M1: scrambled eggs with breakfast sausage/turnip hash

M2: linguica sausage, the rest of the mashed cauliflower, salad: romaine, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamico

M3: grilled pork chop, grilled asparagus, mashed sweet potato

There's a butcher about an hour from me that has grass fed beef, local well fed pigs and free range chickens as well as rabbit, duck and a few other things one doesn't generally find in most grocery stores.   They also make their own baccon without sugar and sausages with nothing but real spices. I loved pork chops as a kid but over the years they seemed to lose their flavor to the point that I stopped eating them.  I bought two from this butcher and my bf grilled them.  They were so good that we will be returning to this butcher on a regular basis in spite of the long drive.

I'm a third of the way through this and feel the same as normal.  I really didn't expect much to change since it's not that different than what I normally eat.  I was hoping to lose a few pounds but I won't really know for another 20 days though I can already see a difference in how my jeans fit.

Day 11

M1: scrambled eggs with breakfast sausage/turnip hash

M2: linguica sausage, leftover mashed sweeet potato, salad: romaine, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamico

M3: beef patty, grilled zucchini, salad: romaine, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamico

Day 12 (yesterday)

1 iced americano

M1: beef patty, carrots

M2: sweet potato hash w/ground beef, minced shallots cooked in ghee/coconut oil combo

M3: chicken, cabbage/onion slaw

After last meal we walked to one of the sports bars we go to. Sparkling water with limes for me and beer for the boyfriend.   Four miles round trip. While the bf isn't doing the Whole30 intentionally, he mostly follows it during the week.  He's lost two pounds.  I haven't weighed myself but hope for similar results.

Day 13 (yesterday)

2 iced americanos

M1: eggs fried in ghee, carrots

M2: baked flounder, sauteed bok choy ... both Asian inspired with lots of ginger and some sesame oil

M3: shrimp, raw veggies/salad (no dressing)

Day 13 was last night and we had a party to go to so we took shrimp knowing there would be plenty of raw veggies and salad.   I probably could have used some fat but olive oil wasn't around so I did the best I could. 

Day 14

1 iced americano

M1: baked flounder, sauteed bok choy leftovers

M2: last of the baked flounder, sauteed bok choy

M3: grilled prime tenderloin, mashed sweet potatoes

We went to Costco today to stock up on meat, eggs, romaine and tomatoes.  We like to buy the prime tenderloin pack which has four steaks.  My bf grilled two tonight (they were so good!) and will grill the other two tomorrow.  We'll make steak salads from our leftovers.  This weeks CSA included a lot of sweet potatoes and some fennel so for our breakfasts this week I made a ground beef, sweet potato, sage hash and scrambled eggs with sauteed fennel. We already tasted the hash and like it so much better than last weeks turnip hash. 

Day 15

M1: beef, sweet potato, sage hash and scrambled eggs with sauteed fennel

M2: steak salad: prime tenderloin, mixed greens, cucumber, tomato, olive oil, balsamico

snack: handful of almonds

M3: grilled prime tenderloin, mashed sweet potatoes, sauteed broccoli

cup of herbal tea after dinner

Day 16

M2: steak salad: prime tenderloin, mixed greens, cucumber, tomato, olive oil, balsamico

snack: handful of almonds

M3: grilled chicken thighs, mashed rutabaga (w/ghee and coconut oil), broccoli sauteed in coconut oil

cup fo herbal tea after dinner

I notice when I have salads I'm more likely to need the afternoon snack.  Even though the salads I make are huge and today and yesterday included a nice portion of meat it just doesn't seem to stay with me for more than three or four hours.

Day 17

M2: grilled chicken thighs, the leftover mashed rutabaga and sauteed broccoli

M3: kale soup with homemade sicilian sausage meatballs

cup of herbal tea after dinner

My lunch was more substantial today and I didn't feel the need for a snack at all.

Day 18

M2: grilled chicken thighs, salad: romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamico

M3: leftover kale soup with homemade sicilian sausage meatballs, cucumber/tomato salad w/salt, olive oil & balsamico

My husband started his first day of Whole30 with me by having waffles and coffee with milk. Then he goes to work and sends me a pic at lunch time of his salad he was so proud of. Lol. I told him he was disqualified. Our 3 year old daughter was more compliant than him today.

Day 19 (yesterday)

2 iced americanos

M1: scrambled eggs with leeks, green onions, tomatoes

M2: warm salad: sauteed leeks, green onions, tomatillo & langostinos over red romaine

M3: beef cooked in sesame oil, slaw of shredded cabbage, carrots, green onions, olive oil, sesame oil and fresh lime juice

post-43295-0-50519200-1399106680_thumb.j

post-43295-0-95404500-1399106681_thumb.j

Day 20 (yesterday)

2 iced americanos

M1: scrambled eggs with leeks, green onions, tomatoes

M2: tuna w/olive oil, cumin, chile and lime juice on romaine, carrots

M3: prosciutto and tomatoes with basil, olives, meat sauce over zucchini, strawberries

I had guests for dinner last night and made fresh pasta with my meat sauce that cooks all day. I served appetizers of different salami and proscuitto and tomatoes, basil and burrata (mozz) as well as olives.   Also they got vanilla ice cream with their strawberries.  I ate what I could so everyone was happy.

Day 21

2 iced americanos

M1: eggs fried in ghee, cucumber/tomatos with balsamico and olive oil

M2: grilled pork ribs, zucchini and onions cooked in sesame oil, salad: romaine, radicchio, cucumbers, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamico and a handful of olives.  Also planning to finish off last nights strawberries.

I wasn't feeling very well most of today and had very little appetite so I only had two meals today.  For this weeks breakfasts I made scrambled eggs with compliant bacon and the rest of the leeks, green onions and tomatillos that were in my CSA box this week.  I made the bf a potato hash with grass fed ground beef since they were also in the CSA box.  I really wanted to have some but didn't.  I miss potatoes.  The substitutes just haven't been as satisfying as potatoes.   

Archived