Day 21- Still tired

This is my first time doing whole30. Not too sure how I feel about it yet. I'm not having a hard time sticking to the diet, I'm struggling with my appearance and energy levels. I haven't noticed any change in the way my clothes fit or my energy levels. I was also expecting my skin to start clearing up but that hasn't changed at all either. Feeling a little frustrated and discouraged and curious if anyone else is experiencing the same things!

• Moderators

Yep. This is my second Whole 30--did a Whole 47 a year ago--and now I'm on Day 45. Planning to do a W60. I'm just starting to feel some of the radical positive changes others speak of weeks earlier. Each of us is a unique snowflake, as they say, and some of us just take more time.

I know from experience that if you can lower your expectations and be patient you will enjoy the fruits of your labor and then some!

I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged, and I'm glad you reached out.

Tiredness can be a sign of a few things, including not getting enough sleep, not eating carb-dense vegetables daily, not staying sufficiently hydrated.

So the first things I would check on are: are you getting at 7-8 hours of sleep nightly, are you consuming at least one carb-dense vegetable daily, and are you drinking at least half your body weight in ounces, daily?

To get more specific feedback on possible tweaks, post 2-3 days worth of your food log.

For the skin and the energy, I feel your pain. I'm on day 39 of an my first W30, which I completed and decided to extend. I have not felt the "tiger's blood" energy described in the program where I wake up raring to go and dominate all day. There have been some days that I've felt steady energy all day and those have been rewarding. But there have also been a lot of days where I never fully wake up or I hit the afternoon brick wall, hard.

I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night but have begun to investigate the quality of that sleep. My clothes do fit better and I've reaped other benefits from the program like breaking my addiction to sugar. 

On days when sluggishness really starts to wear on my psyche, I take comfort in the fact that I was I was tired all the time when my nutrition program was poor and now I'm tired just some of the time that my nutrition program rocks.

So happy to see I'm not the only one! This is my second whole30 and I'm on day 28. With both of these I never gained any energy. if fact I have less energy. I get at least 8 to 9 hours of sleep and even nap for a hour in the afternoon when I can. If I don't get a nap..I'm ready for bed at 8pm. On the bright side, both challenges have given me awesome results with inches lost. I see a big difference in my appearance. Hope I can figure this out!

Hey all!  I had a rough rough day yesterday...I am supposed to be on Day 20 today.  I thought I was being 100 percent compliant and just discovered yesterday (while searching for Whole 30 compliant foods for Easter) that the Applegate Deli Turkey I ate last week now contains carrageen.  It didn't before!  That being said, I was advised to start all over.  Needless to say, I was in a pissy, pissy, pissy mood (my poor husband and kids), I wanted to raid my pantry and say a few curse words and wonder why the heck I am doing this?  I am still tired all the time.  I am light headed and dizzy when I walk up the stairs, I don't sleep well (I never did), Easter is this weekend and my birthday is Monday.....I want cake.  I have absolutely no desire to work out even!  I teach fitness classes and have been finding a sub to take them over because I am tired and don't feel like working out at all.

So....first off.  What the heck is wrong with me? How do I not feel discouraged?  I don't know if I can start over...mentally...I don't know if I have it in me. The thought of the food I have been eating (great varieties too!) make me want to puke.  I would rather not eat at all.  What do I do?  Yes...there is a lot of stress in my life right now and I wonder why I am doing this NOW? Well...I figure I cannot control the other things going on in my life, so I might as well control my diet! 

A little about my past...I have yo-yo dieted since I was 9.  I put myself on my first diet at that age.  I have done two figure competitions (extreme dieting), only to gain all of it back and then some right away.  I have done every diet in the book...including the HCG diet.  The only good thing is I have NEVER battled anorexia or bulimia...just compulsive overeating! Am I just setting myself up for a failure once again with the Whole30? 

Words of wisdom...advice...anything?  Yes..I am being Debbie Downer today...

Hey all!  I had a rough rough day yesterday...I am supposed to be on Day 20 today.  I thought I was being 100 percent compliant and just discovered yesterday (while searching for Whole 30 compliant foods for Easter) that the Applegate Deli Turkey I ate last week now contains carrageen.  It didn't before!  That being said, I was advised to start all over.  Needless to say, I was in a pissy, pissy, pissy mood (my poor husband and kids), I wanted to raid my pantry and say a few curse words and wonder why the heck I am doing this?  I am still tired all the time.  I am light headed and dizzy when I walk up the stairs, I don't sleep well (I never did), Easter is this weekend and my birthday is Monday.....I want cake.  I have absolutely no desire to work out even!  I teach fitness classes and have been finding a sub to take them over because I am tired and don't feel like working out at all.

So....first off.  What the heck is wrong with me? How do I not feel discouraged?  I don't know if I can start over...mentally...I don't know if I have it in me. The thought of the food I have been eating (great varieties too!) make me want to puke.  I would rather not eat at all.  What do I do?  Yes...there is a lot of stress in my life right now and I wonder why I am doing this NOW? Well...I figure I cannot control the other things going on in my life, so I might as well control my diet! 

A little about my past...I have yo-yo dieted since I was 9.  I put myself on my first diet at that age.  I have done two figure competitions (extreme dieting), only to gain all of it back and then some right away.  I have done every diet in the book...including the HCG diet.  The only good thing is I have NEVER battled anorexia or bulimia...just compulsive overeating! Am I just setting myself up for a failure once again with the Whole30? 

Words of wisdom...advice...anything?  Yes..I am being Debbie Downer today...

I know it's a bummer to learn that something you ate wasn't compliant.  The key is to not get consumed by discouragement, pick up yourself and make forward progress.

I encourage you not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. No, you aren't setting yourself up for failure.  It starts by not thinking of Whole30 as a diet, but, instead a way to change your relationship with food.

If you are lightheaded and dizzy 20 days in, let's see if your meals are on track. I recommend that you post 2-3 days worth of your food log, including daily water intake, so folks can give you feedback on possible tweaks. 

It sounds like this time and this coming week in particular are challenging.  You have options. One of them is to continue with Whole30 eating for as long as you can. If it's not 30 consecutive days, then take your lessons learned and apply them toward a future Whole30. This article may help you assess whether it makes sense to restart at this time or at a future time.

If your not 100% ready to do this then I would wait until you are! It's a huge commitment and you'll get more stressed if you end up caving and having some comfort food. I hope things get better for you. Working out (even just walking) will help with the stress too! good luck!

Below is a food log of the last 20 days.  I do not log my water, but I make sure I have at least 8 cups a day...sometimes more.  I also have black coffee every morning, although it isn't logged.  I haven't had any fruit whatsoever.  I will not let myself because I have a major sweet craving problem and I think it will trigger more cravings.  You will see that I only had two days where I had the turkey...6 slices total.  I know...I am trying to get out of starting this whole thing again.  Let me know your thoughts...

Day 1: March 27th

8:20 am:  Woke up have black coffee

9:20 am:  Breakfast: 3 eggs; spinach; mushrooms, 2 tbl salsa; 1 tbl coconut oil. 

2:00 pm:  Had 1 Laura's lean beef patty grilled on the George Forman with mushrooms and onions sautéed in ½ tbl of ghee.   Served on a bed of lettuce with one roma tomato and organic mustard. 

Around 4 pm had a cup of black coffee.

6:45 – 7 pm:  Dinner. Had a ½ sweet potato, palm size serving of chicken breast.  1-2 cups of a broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus mix and ½ an avocado. 

Day 2 March 28th

8:30 am:  3 eggs sunny side up, 2 TBL salsa and bok choy sautéed in avocado oil.

Little workout.  I taught but did more teaching than working.  Thus, I did not eat a post-workout meal.  I felt I didn't deserve it.

Had a black coffee in between meals

12:45 ish:  Had a ½ sweet potato, palm size serving of chicken breast.  1-2 cups of a broccoli, cauliflower, mix and ½ an avocado. 

5:15 pm Dinner:  Had 1 Laura's lean beef patty grilled on the George Forman with mushrooms and onions sautéed in ½ tbl of ghee.   Served on a bed of lettuce with one roma tomato and organic mustard. 

Day 3: March 29th

8:15-8:30 Breakfast  3 eggs sunny side up, 2 TBL salsa and bok choy sautéed in avocado oil.

12:30 Lunch: “Taco Salad† Laura's lean ground beef mixed with salsa, avocado, capers and olive over bed of greens; 1 roma tomato; 2 sweet red pickled peppers

3 pm Black Coffee

6 pm: Palm size serving of chicken breast with capers; 2 cups broccoli/cauliflower/asparagus and ½ avocado

Day 4 March 30th

Breakfast 9:20 am  3 eggs sunny side up, 2 TBL salsa and bok choy sautéed in 1 tbl avocado oil

Taught class 12:30-1:30

Lunch: 2:15 pm  Whole 30 Egg Salad on top of spinach greens. 1 roma tomato; 5 black olives; capers and vinager

Dinner: 5:45 pm  “Taco Salad† Laura's lean ground beef mixed with salsa, avocado, capers and olive over bed of greens; 1 roma tomato; 5 black olives

Day 5 March 31st

7:30 am:  3 eggs with salsa and ¾ tbl avocado oil.  Saurkraut. 

Lunch: 12:45 pm  Whole 30 Egg Salad on top of spinach greens. 1 roma tomato; 3 kalamati olives, 2 peppers and vinager

Had black coffee and about ¼ of red pepper in the afternoon…grazing

6:45 pm Chicken Breast with capers; ½ avocado; about 2 cups veggies – broccoli/asparagus

Day 6 April 1

7:30 am:  Breakfast:  3 eggs cooked in avocado oil (about 1 tbl). ½ raw red pepper. 1 roma tomato.

9:15-10:30  Worked out:  1 hour spin/abs

10:40 Post workout meal.  Chicken Breast.  1/3 Sweet potato

1:20 pm:  Egg salad with ½ red pepper and ¼ tomato

Black coffee

6:45 pm:  Ground Beef/Chicken mix; ½ avocado. ¼ cucumber; 2 sweet peppers.

Day 7 April 2nd

8:15 am:  3 eggs with ½ tbl avocado oil. 2 TBL salsa and 1-1.5 cup asparagus/broccoli

My workout SUCKED!  Light-headed, dizzy, lethargic…I worked out at 9:45 am.  Nope – I did not have a Pre-WO or Post-WO meal.  Bad me

Lunch: 12:30 pm  Whole 30 Egg Salad on top of greens. 1 roma tomato; ½ red pepper, 5-7 black olives, 2 peppers

Black coffee

Dinner:  640 pm;  Palm size serving of shrimp, ½ avocado; ¼ sweet potato; 1 cup veggies

Starving at 9:30 pm…had ¼ red pepper and 4 olives

Day 8 April 3rd

9:05 am:  3 eggs; 1 Tbl avocado oil; 2 tbl salsa;  Sautee mix of bok choy; onion and mushroom.

1 pm:   1 Laura's lean beef patty grilled on the George Forman with mushrooms and onions sautéed in 1 tbl of ghee.   Served on a bed of lettuce with one roma tomato, 1 sweet pickle pepper,organic mustard and homemade mayo. 

6:30 pm:  Whole 30 Egg Salad on top of greens. 1 roma tomato; ½ yellow pepper, 2 peppers

Day 9 April 4th:

8:20 am (late again) :  3 eggs, ½ -1 tbl avocado oil; ½ yellow pepper; asparagus

10 am Taught Athletic Conditioning

11:10 am:  Had some shrimp. Ate the rest at 12:30 pm since grocery store shopping taking a long time

2:30 pm  1 Laura's lean beef patty grilled on the George Forman with mushrooms and onions sautéed in 1 tbl of ghee.   Served on a bed of lettuce with one roma tomato, 1 pickle, organic mustard and homemade mayo. 

8:45 pm Whole 30 Egg Salad and asparagus

Day 10 April 5th

8:45 am 2 eggs w/ ½ tbl avocado oil

9:30:  Cycle Class

11 am: 1 can tuna with 1 tbl homemade mayo

3 pm:  Had a small serving of Italian Sausage Eggplant Strata from Well Fed cookbook.

Coffee

6:45 pm:  Chicken breast with Sunshine Sauce; mashed cauliflower (well fed); cabbage and 2 sweet pickle peppers.

Day 11:  April 6th

9:30 am:  Three eggs  with  salsa.  Cabbage and 1 tbl avocado oil

1 pm:  Lunch: Whole 30 Egg Salad on top of greens. 1 roma tomato; 1 pickle; 3 kalamati olives

Black Coffee/Sea Snax

6:00 pm:  Eggplant Strata

Day 12:  April 7th:

8:30 am 1 hard boiled egg

12:30 pm:  1 Aidelle Chicken Sausage sautéed with cabbage, onion and mushroom in 2 tsp of avocado oil.

Coffee

7 pm:  Chicken breast; sunshine sauce; ½ avocado; asparagus; 1 pepper.

Day 13: April 8th

8:30 am: Laura's Lean Ground Beef and ½ avocado

10:15 am:  Worked out 60 minutes: NO ENERGY!!

11:30 am:  Chicken Breast

2pm:  3 eggs w/ 1 tsp avocado oil.  Half a sweet potato sliced thin and made into chips in oven. Handful of organic unsweetened coconut flakes.

4pm Black coffee

8 pm:  Whole 30 Egg Salad; 1 yellow pepper; 1 pickle; 5 black olives

Day 14: April 9th

8:15 am:  Laura's Lean Ground Beef and ½ avocado

Worked out at 10:15 am for about an hour.  After ate 1 egg white and sweet potato chips

12:30:  Aidell sausage sautéed in 1 tbl avocado oil and cabbage, 2 mushrooms and thinly sliced sweet potato

Coffee

6:45 pm:  Laura's Lean Ground beef/ ½ avocado; mashed cauliflower

Day 15: April 10th:

7:45 am:  3 eggs with salsa and 1 tsp avocado oil; 1 cucumber; 5 black olives

12:15: Whole 30 Egg Salad over greens; 1 roma tomato; 1 pickle; 10 black olives (small from can)

2 pm Black coffee

4:50 pm:  2 Applegate organic beef links; sweet potato chips; ½ avocado; broccoli

8:30: Starving!! 2 pieces applegate deli turkey ; ½ cucumber

Day 16: April 11th:  Woke up at 6:30 am black coffee

8 am:  3 eggs; ½ avocado; ½ cucumber; 1 tsp avocado oil; salsa

12 pm:  3 slices applegate turkey and sweet potato chips (after workout…)

1:40 pm:  Eggplant Strata

5:30:  2 Applegate organic beef links; sweet potato chips; ½ avocado; broccoli

8:45 pm:  1 hard boiled egg

Day 17: April 12th:  “

7:30 am:  3 hard boiled eggs and ½ avocado

10:30 am:  1 orange sweet pepper sliced

12:00 pm:  Laura's lean ground beef; sweet potato chips; ½ avocado

2:30 pm:  Paleo small snax and sea snax….I never snack!!!  I felt major cravings today.  I think it was because I was so tired

5:30 pm:  2 applegate hot dogs; 2 slices applegate turkey; 1 tbl homemade mayo; 1 sweet pickle pepper; cauliflower mash; 1 roma tomato

Day 18: April 13th

8 am:  3 hard boiled eggs ½ avocado

12:30:   Laura's lean ground beef; sweet potato chips; ½ avocado

4 pm:  1 cucumber

5:30 pm :  2 applegate hotdogs with mayo and mustard. Handful of coconut (very small).  2 lettuce leaves; 1 roma tomato; eggplant strata (not much left so just ate last piece…mainly eggplant..hardly any meat)

Day 19:  April 14th

8:20 am:  3 eggs with salsa; 1 roma tomato; 2 sweet peppers; 1 tsp avocado oil

12:30 Black Coffee

1:45 pm:  Laura's Lean Ground beef

4:30 pm:  1 spinach beef muffin and handful of coconut

6 pm:  Bison pot roast w/ veggies

Day 20:  April 15th:

8:45 am:  3 eggs with salsa; 1 tsp avocado oil; 1 roma tomato; ¾ c artichokes

Worked out till 11:30

12 pm:  Spinach muffin

12:45 pm Whole 30 egg salad on lettuce; 1 roma tomato; 2 sweet peppers; 2 sweet pickle peppers; 5 olives;  big white bread stick

5:45 pm:  Bison pot roast with ½ avocad

Archived