Meatballs ?

Sif

I made meatballs yesterday, thought I would just skip the milk cheese and breadcrumbs and just add one egg... Well they leaked all over but still tasted very good..

so my question is, what do you use as a "binder" instead of the cheese and breadcrumbs so that they will not be so wet before cooking ?

I usually don't use a binder.  I think depending on what other ingredients are in the meatballs, you might not need one.  Also depending on how much fat is in the meat, you may or may not need it.  The more fat, the easier it binds together.  Lean grassfed beef sometimes doesn't want to stick together.

• 1 month later...

I love the meatballs from "Well Fed 2."  Mel has several varieties and they are delicious. No egg or other binder; she uses cream of tartar and baking soda to "tenderize" the mixture. I make up several batches each week and have them handy in the freezer.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I made meatballs yesterday, thought I would just skip the milk cheese and breadcrumbs and just add one egg... Well they leaked all over but still tasted very good..

so my question is, what do you use as a "binder" instead of the cheese and breadcrumbs so that they will not be so wet before cooking ?

Hi, Sif Hauksdóttir, I use egg and tapioca flour. 

Archived