timing of my starchy vegetable

I have significant weight to lose and am a recovering grain/refined carb addict so I am trying to limit myself to one starchy veggie a day.  Left to my own devices I'd eat sweet potatoes with each meal.   So, I'm trying to figure out the timing of it.  At first I felt like I needed the morning boost so I eat it with breakfast (especially since I cut out coffee) .  However, I am still hitting the wall in the afternoons and could literally fall asleep at my desk.   Today, for example, I had a stuffed bell pepper and leafy salad with a few pecans and strawberries thrown in.   It should be plenty of food but I am nodding off!  Eek!

So, should I have it with lunch or do you think it would be okay to have it with breakfast and lunch?  Am I overthinking this?   

BTW, I'm on day 33.  I'm sticking with the plan until Easter Sunday, will loosen up some for the big family Easter dinner then back on plan the next day.   

Thanks!

I think you're overthinking. :)  We all tend to do that.  I know I did.  I'm getting better. 

Could you split it in half - half with breakfast, half with lunch?  Personally, I need my bit of sweet potato (usually 1/2 but depends on the size) with breakfast or I set myself up for a hungry day, but I can do ok without it at lunch as long as lunch has enough fat.  Are you sure you had enough fat in your lunch?  I'm assuming the stuffing in the bell pepper was meat.  Maybe add avocado to your salad? 

I'm very concious of when I have my starchy veggies. I'm an endurance athlete so it's important for the timing of my workouts. For me I have 1/2 a cup of sweet potato (or 1/2 a sweet potato) at lunch and another 1/2 at dinner.

What are you having for breakfast? And what is your pepper stuffed with?

Is anything else in your salad?

Thanks for the responses.   The pepper was stuffed with ground beef and pork and the salad was greens, strawberries, pecans, oil and vinegar.      

Breakfast today was an link of Aidells apple/chicken sausage, an egg, and between a 1/2 and 3/4 cup of shredded sweet potato hash cooked in coconut oil.  

Hrm. That definitely sounds like you should have been satisfied with lunch! I might suggest having more veggies (non-starchy) for breakfast.

Personally I love to have 1-2 cups of non-starchy veggies with breakfast. I really like doing sauteed kale, purple cabbage, maybe a tomato with garlic in coconut oil and adding a 1/4 of an avocado. I change up the veggies to keep it new (broccoli and brussels sprouts make it into the loop with frequency). I have this with 2 eggs. If I finish this and am still hungry, I'll have some berries or other best for you fruit.

Then at lunch I'll do grilled chicken breast with a large salad (today was kale, sugar snap peas, red pepper, and purple cabbage) with a 1/2 cup sweet potato. I don't find that I have any issues being hungry or nodding off in the afternoon.

I'd definitely recommend changing up when you have your starch to see how it affects your day!

Are you doing any sort of exercise or physical activity as well?

Thanks gardnermer!  I do kettlebells 3x week but I bungled my knee 2 weeks ago which kept me out for a few days.  Then Saturday I pulled my back so I'm out again!  Grr.  Neither injury was related to the workouts, I'm just a klutz.   

Yes, I thought lunch was plenty of food but I could have taken a nap with no problem!  I will try the carby veggie with lunch and beef up my breakfast veggies.  I got some lovely kale at the farmer's market yesterday, it would be good topped with a couple of eggs.    

Thanks again for the advice/support. 

Archived