Moderation is for cowards.

DomFruch

Hi all!

I'm starting today (15APRIL2014) my first Whole30 challenge. A couple years ago I was strictly eating a No Grain diet and doing CF, but have fallen off the wagon. I'm looking forward to track my progress on here and share my experiences. I will be following the food program and also doing a mix of cross training and running. Each night I will log the days food and workout so you can follow along (Also it will keep me in line haha).

Starting Stats

210#

Goal after Whole30

195#

Have a good day everyone.

DAY 01

Meal 1:  2 Eggs, Sliced peppers/onions, 1 spoon full of Almond Butter

Meal 2: Spinach leaves, handful of blueberries/ raspberries, 1 tuna packet, w/ basalmic dressing

Pre workout meal: 1/2 portion size of pork, handful of walnuts

Workout: 4 mile Fartlek run

Meal 3: 2 palm size portions of (1) chicken (1) pork. Side salad of spinach leaves, onions/peppers, blueberries/raspberries, and basalmic dressing

Anyone have suggestions with this?  I'm feeling pretty good for now.

DAY 01

Meal 1:  2 Eggs, Sliced peppers/onions, 1 spoon full of Almond Butter

Meal 2: Spinach leaves, handful of blueberries/ raspberries, 1 tuna packet, w/ basalmic dressing

Pre workout meal: 1/2 portion size of pork, handful of walnuts

Workout: 4 mile Fartlek run

Meal 3: 2 palm size portions of (1) chicken (1) pork. Side salad of spinach leaves, onions/peppers, blueberries/raspberries, and basalmic dressing

Anyone have suggestions with this?  I'm feeling pretty good for now.

Food looks good. You might be able to add 1 or 2 more eggs at meal 1. When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand. I'm thinking you can hold more than 2?

Hard to tell how much veggies you're getting: aim for 1-3 cups per meal. 

I assume your balsamic dressing contains a compliant oil for your fat? Be sure the balsamic vinegar is compliant: no added sulfites or other nasties in the dressing.

I will definitely up my eggs in the morning.

The onions/peppers I have been adding are just a handful, but I will look into doing that. I figured that this week really will help me gauge how much food I will need to buy. I'm thinking this next food shopping period...I will have to get more vegies.

Thanks for the help!

So I read that people start having very vivid dreams while transitioning to this lifestyle... Has anyone had this happen? I'm asking because I had a crazy dream last night (very vivid) and am wondering if the whole30 program has something to do with it because I usually never dream.

I've had vivid intense dreams the past two nights, mostly about food that I don't even eat, like doritos but also about how the house is organized and why my husband did this or did that, etc. 

I've heard from friends and read through the book and the 30 day newsletter you can purchase that vivid dreams are common. 

DAY 2 (Yesterday)

Meal 1 (6AM): 3 Eggs, peppers, scoop of almond butter

Meal 2 (12PM): Tunafish, spinach leave salad, handful of blueberries/raspberries, balsamic dressing, handful of carrots

Pre Workout (5PM): 1/2 portion of pork and handful of walnuts

Meal 3 (7PM): 2 Portions (1) chicken, (1) pork, 3 strawberries, 10 grapes, peppers/onions, handful of walnuts, 6 baby carrots

Late night (9PM)- Caved and had a banana.

Work out: 1/2 hour of strength training, 1 mile run (speed work).

How does this look? I hope I'm doing this right.

DAY 03

Meal 1 (6AM)- 1 portion chicken, 1 scoop almond butter, 3 cut up celary sticks.

Meal 2 (12PM)- Spinach salad, tuna fish, whole avocado, handful of blueberries/raspberries, balsamic dressing

Pre Workout (5PM)- 1/2 portion chicken, handful of walnuts

Meal 3 (8PM)- 3 Eggs, 3 celary sticks, 1 scoop almond butter, 20 baby carrots

Workout:  15 minutes on Stairmaster, 10 min of Running hill workout, 20 minutes of strength training

** Seems like I have less energy when working out. I've been good during days because I drink two large black iced coffees daily, but as soon as I hit a workout around 6PM, I crash. Which is very weird because I would always not eat all day then workout . I'm wondering why since starting this I have less energy.... Things are going slow for me. I can feel less bloated, but my energy levels are suffering right now. Hopefully by the weekend I'm more motivated so I can do some work capacity workouts.**

** Seems like I have less energy at the gym. Which is very weird because I would always not eat all day then workout . I'm wondering why since starting this I have less energy.... Things are going slow for me. I can feel less bloated, but my energy levels are suffering right now. Hopefully by the weekend I'm more motivated so I can do some work capacity workouts.**

That can happen in the transition to becoming fat adapted.  Some folks, for whom this happens, see their workouts pick up in week 2 or 3.

Some other observations:

- 3 celery sticks at meal 1 isn't the most substantial veggie option. Have a baked sweet potato, sauteed greens, casserole with shredded rutabaga, or mashed cauliflower: get yourself to a hearty 1-3 cups of vegetables at every meal.

- did meal 2 have a protein?

That can happen in the transition to becoming fat adapted.  Some folks, for whom this happens, see their workouts pick up in week 2 or 3.

Some other observations:

- 3 celery sticks at meal 1 isn't the most substantial veggie option. Have a baked sweet potato, sauteed greens, casserole with shredded rutabaga, or mashed cauliflower: get yourself to a hearty 1-3 cups of vegetables at every meal.

- did meal 2 have a protein?

Yes sorry. I forgot to put tuna fish on there. I'm updating it now.

It seems I have under estimated how many veggies I would need for this. Going into week 2 I will be more prepared.

So I read that people start having very vivid dreams while transitioning to this lifestyle... Has anyone had this happen? I'm asking because I had a crazy dream last night (very vivid) and am wondering if the whole30 program has something to do with it because I usually never dream.

very late to post, but YES, I also had vivid dreams almost every night during my whole30.  I do think we dream every night, but we don't remember them.   Some of my dreams were very strange indeed.

Archived