Beef Wellington - OK scraping off the pastry?

kel_be

I suppose you could, but it would be tricky to get all the pastry off, and any ingestion of gluten or dairy (assuming butter is also in the puff pastry) on a Whole30 calls for a restart.

Also, make sure your prosciutto is compliant.

Any chance you could choose another entree that is 100% Whole30 compliant, then there's no question or need to eat around anything? If it helps, I made this turkey dish ("turketta") for Christmas Eve and it was a huge hit.

The moderator's answer trumps mine (clearly), but I like sharing my opinions, so:

Are you concerned that you may have a dietary sensitivity?  Or is your Whole30 an effort to reset your eating habits or lose weight?  If it's the former, yeah, you should probably steer clear of the wellington.  If it's the latter, I don't see a problem with making a good faith effort to stick to the program as best you can (especially as it's a family holiday).

Any chance you could choose another entree that is 100% Whole30 compliant, then there's no question or need to eat around anything? If it helps, I made this turkey dish ("turketta") for Christmas Eve and it was a huge hit.

I could eat my own protein and answer the questions at the dinner table.  We were going to do this because we have everything on hand to make it (DH isn't doing this with me).

I was thinking I could not eat the puff pastry layer or just cut around it and eat only the beef. 

To me, it sounds like there are several layers between the beef and the puff pastry - I would scrape everything off and then just eat the beef, and then maybe keep some of the mushrooms and onions to the side for with your dish

If you are cooking this meal yourself (not having it cooked by another family member etc.) why can't you just cook a piece of beef tenderloin separately, top it with the other "filling" ingredients and leave off the puff pastry entirely for yourself, and make the wellingtons like normal for everyone else?

Archived