WSJ Article about Elimination Diets (mentions W30)

Bet

More People Pick Elimination Diets to Discover Food Sensitivities The Fad and Science Behind Not Eating Entire Food Groups for Weeks at a Time

After years of increasingly uncomfortable stomach cramps and other intestinal issues, Amanda Deming, a 35-year-old mother and legal assistant, saw a friend post rave reviews on Facebook about an elimination diet called the Whole 30. It recommends cutting out gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley, rye and other grains), dairy, sugar and sweeteners, white potatoes, alcohol, some food additives and even legumes and grains for 30 days. What's left? "You eat meats, fruits and vegetables," says Ms. Deming, who lives in Greenville, S.C. Within two weeks of starting the regimen her stomach felt better. "And that means the world to me," she says. "I have more energy."

She stuck with the eating habits past 30 days, even though it has been hard to skip her family's Friday pizza night. Also, her food budget has gone up. "I don't have a meal that doesn't have meat in it," she says.

The Whole 30 plan is intended to improve overall health, break bad eating habits and in some cases will identify food sensitivities,says Melissa Hartwig, a sports nutritionist and co-owner of Whole 9, the company that designed the plan.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304117904579503481133359744?mod=WSJ_hppMIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond&mg=reno64-wsj

I was just about to post this same article!  I thought it was mostly positive, though it does say that many doctors think there is little science behind it.  Umm...those doctors apparently aren't very up-to-date!

Updating my comment:  The printed article was mostly positive, but the online interview (which I saw after I posted this comment) was terrible.  The interviewer was extremely negative and seemed like a ditz...not a very fair representation of the article which cited several examples of real people benefitting from Whole30 and other elimination-style diets.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the WSJ. Used to be a reputable paper. Not so much anymore. Some news articles are still good but the political and lifestyle articles ultimately serve the whims of Rupert Murdoch. (This is reported by writers who have left. Not that he has a hand in each piece, obviously, but his presence looms.)

There have been many articles in the NYT in the last few years debunking the sat fat myth, talkin up the importance of the microbiome, talking up the importance of gut health. I think the WSJ will need a couple more decades to catch up with contemporary science.

As does the doctor quoted who says there's no evidence gut health has an impact on how you feel. Maybe he should check in with Emily Deans at Evolutionary Psychiatry. http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/?m=1

Or how about not quoting doctors who haven't read a journal article in a decade?

It's amazing how many people still don't think that what you put in your body matters or affects it.  When I tell people that we did a Whole30 and still mostly still stick to it to get my husband off auto-immune drugs, they usually say something like "Oh really?  He can do that?"

Archived