Does a fatty protein (e.g., salmon) count as "fat"?

In my interpretation, you should be eating an additional fat. Fats are good and good for you! Make your own mayo and make a homemade tartar sauce or have some avocado or even some olives with your salmon! 

I am sure others will be along :-) 

I don't worry about always having an "added" fat on the side. I cook with lots of fat, I eat the skin on chicken, I do not shy away from using full-fat anything, so I don't feel like I need to make sure I always have a half an avocado or a handful of olives with my meal unless those things would complement or be tasty with my meal. I make sure I eat enough to feel satiated and call it good. I don't know what the official whole30 stance is though.

But on the topic of salmon and things to put on it for extra fat... This is an AMAZING recipe. The spices are so tasty, and it uses my FAVORITE chile - Ancho (you MUST find ancho chile powder to make this - it's SOOOOO good) http://www.thecookierookie.com/salmon-with-avocado/

• Moderators

I frequently choose fattier cuts of meat or fish to insure I get plenty of fat. When your protein includes plenty of fat, you don't need to work so hard to add fat, but you should not shy away from the fat. I typically bake fresh salmon under a layer of mayonnaise because it keeps the fish moist and I like the flavor. I frequently add prosciutto when I am cooking liver because I like the taste of salty pork with liver. 

I frequently choose fattier cuts of meat or fish to insure I get plenty of fat. When your protein includes plenty of fat, you don't need to work so hard to add fat, but you should not shy away from the fat. I typically bake fresh salmon under a layer of mayonnaise because it keeps the fish moist and I like the flavor. I frequently add prosciutto when I am cooking liver because I like the taste of salty pork with liver. 

Tom--my mom used to do something similar with baking a whole salmon fillet under a layer of sour cream with chopped green onions and oh wow! So good--I bet it would work just as well with the mayo--I will have to try that! 

Baked chicken with mayo on top and herbs of your choice is a very easy and tasty meal!

Archived