Coffee and animal crackers

I just started the Whole 30 on August 1st. I've been thinking about it for awhile but never committed. Around Feb/March I started doing Primal/Paleo pretty good...about 80/20 and felt great and lost about 12 pounds....then fell off the wagon hard....gained all of it back and my mood went back to pissy. :angry: Anyway, I'm trying again. Just a little back story, the reason I want to do this isn't to lose weight necessarily but to feel better. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have promised myself to get in gear for my health and overall wellbeing. I've also started going to the gym regularly, not doing anything extreme, but I'm not in any sort of shape at all...actually I did the free fit test at my gym when we joined and my fit age is 61 years 7 months.....I'm 29! That's awful. My heart rate is ridiculous when I do cardio...bought a HRM and I'm addicted.

Anyway, back to topic...some of the things I'm having difficulty with...I'm on day 3 and last night(Day 2) I wanted animal crackers so bad I salivated a little I think. ha! I didn't do it but I wanted them bad. I woke up this morning wanting to skip the health breakfasts I've been doing cause I'm in a crabby mood and eat my husband's Fruity Pebbles....the whole bag. Don't worry, I didn't, but I wanted to.

Also, my coffee in the morning usually consists of full half & half and 2 teaspoons sugar. I know that black coffee is doable but are there any suggesions for additions to make it better??

Also, I'd love to have a buddy. My husband isn't too helpful. He'll eat what I eat but he also loves his carbs and isn't ready to do this full on yet.

DD,

Welcome to your first Whole30! It's a big step to make the decision to embark on this journey. The first couple of weeks can be rough, but then it gets WAY WAY better! Stick in there--stay strong! You're empowering yourself by taking control of your health--be proud!

I know it's really difficult when your spouse/partner isn't supportive. My boyfriend did a Whole30 with me a couple of years ago and had HUGE success with sleep, weight loss and overall health...but he seems to have forgotten all about that now and is back to eating SAD. What I recommend is cooking stuff ahead of time if you can so you always have something Whole30-approved ready for when you're hungry. That'll cut down on the "There's nothing to eat, I'mma go grab something quick." (I fall into that all the time!).

Have you also asked your hubs if you can move his stuff to a shelf that's out of your line of sight? I find that if I store my baking supplies (sugar and flour, etc) on the top shelf of the pantry, I forget it's there and it makes it a lot easier to stay Whole30-compliant. As for coffee, I drink mine black but I hear that people like coconut milk in theirs. If you like yours a little creamier, let the can of coconut milk separate and stir in the thicker "coconut cream" part.

We can totally be buddies! I'm 27 and though I've done a few Whole30s, I always revert back to SAD pretty quickly. I find that I'm having issues with willpower lately, too! Help me stay on track?

-Mer

I ditto the coconut milk for coffee. It's good but I don't always add it now. Hang in there and it gets easier. I have been drinking coffee since I was 12. With milk/cream and sugar/sweetener. When I first switched to black coffee for Whole30 #1 I used mild coffee and made it a little weak. Plus it needs to be really fresh. That seemed to help. It's also even more important when drinking black coffee to select one that is not bitter tasting because you won't be covering up the bitter with lots of sugar so maybe ask at Starbuck's what they recommend. I'm less picky about my coffee now that I am used to it black so I'll drink just about anything. :)

P.S. There are many of us doing a Whole30 with non-Paleo families. Plenty of support on this forum. Just ask questions and chime in wherever you want. Start making changes to your foods and your habits and enjoy the ride. Good luck!

thanks everyone! I'll try the coconut milk for sure. I'm also a big tea fan so maybe I'll incorporate more green tea in my morning routine. I also like the idea of hiding stuff from myself. I found stuff in my cabinets and who knows how long it's been there!

Hang in there... I really struggle the first few days (for me it goes up to a week) but the more days I get behind me the more committed I get and the less cravings I have. The suggestions above are great, plus I would say just commit to yourself, deep down in your heart (or perhaps your belly or your tongue!). This will get easier but you have to get through the rough stuff.

You might also try cold brewing coffee. It's easy to do at home, and it yields a milder coffee than hot brewing does. You don't have to drink cold brew cold -- you can heat it after brewing. It's usually really strong, meaning it has a really robust flavor and a lot of caffeine, but it's less acidic.

I second the recommendation for cold brewed coffee. It is very easy to make. Course grind some high quality beans. Cover with water. The ratio I saw was 4 parts water to 1 part coffee beans. Cover and let sit at room temp. for 12 hours. Strain off beans. Store concentrate in the fridge. That is it.

Also I noticed that the poorer quality coffee beans just don't cut it when you drink it black. My favorite way to drink it right now is cold, with ice and coconut milk.

Hope that helps.

I second the recommendation for cold brewed coffee. It is very easy to make. Course grind some high quality beans. Cover with water. The ratio I saw was 4 parts water to 1 part coffee beans. Cover and let sit at room temp. for 12 hours. Strain off beans. Store concentrate in the fridge. That is it.

Also I noticed that the poorer quality coffee beans just don't cut it when you drink it black. My favorite way to drink it right now is cold, with ice and coconut milk.

Hope that helps.

So I could use a cafetiere but just use cold water?

How do you use the concentrate to drink it hot - half & half with water & reheat?

I've never warmed up cold-brewed coffee, so I can't help there - However, be forewarned that cold-brewed coffee has a higher caffiene content. The first time I had a cup, I nearly bounced off the walls *all day* and couldn't sleep.

Ever since my first Whole 30, I've learned to love black coffee. The secret was finding a really good coffee. Starbucks wasn't it. Check around for coffee roasters in your area, or order some from a high quality roaster. My favorite so far has been Counter Culture coffee.

Archived