Breakfasts at a conference?

ncc28

Next week, I'm traveling for work, and the conference organizers will be providing breakfast and lunch. Lunches don't usually worry me - there is almost always some salad/protein combo that I can rely on. 

It's breakfast that I'm nervous about. Since starting Whole30 (I'm on day 12), I have had eggs and veggies almost every single day (unless I had amazing leftovers from dinner the night before, which often trumps standard eggs!).

Having been to this conference a few times before, they almost always serve bagels, muffins, and fruit in the morning. Or, an oatmeal bar. 

I'll be staying in a hotel, so cooking up my own breakfast before heading to the conference sessions won't really be an option. 

I'd love advice from others! How have you dealt with this challenge? What, if any, foods have you brought with you to conference to have for breakfast? What protein options will keep well in a cooler? I suppose I could rely on egg muffins all week, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.

Thanks!

• Moderators

If you have an in room refrigerator, you have lots of options. Hardboiled eggs, egg muffins, Aidell's chicken apple sausage (slice and pan fry some up at home, they are already cooked so you can skip this but they're MUCH tastier after a little sear in the pan), baby carrots or other raw (or pre-cooked) veggies of choice.

Another option that might not sound too appetizing, but is surprisingly tasty is canned wild sardines in water (or tuna, or salmon in packets). Portable, cheap and requires no refrigeration.

Otherwise I heartily agree with the room service or restaurant breakfast suggestion.

Good luck!

It's worth asking the hotel if they can cater to your needs, some hotels are very accommodating. Even if they're not, you'll know you need to do it yourself :) Calling before you leave should give them plenty of time to prepare.

Portable size tins of tuna for protein, hard boiled eggs, bacon & egg muffins (home made). See if there are any local grocery stores and see if they can put something aside for you, so you can just go and pick it up on arrival (or even get it delivered to the hotel).

Beware hotel eggs are often not real eggs, or pure eggs. Poached is most likely a real egg, but best to ask.

Most hotels do cook a nice steak :)

I was recently at a trade show for several days, where the only options were "stadium food".  I brought some homemade chicken salad, some cut up celery, and some thickly sliced red and green peppers.  I brought my little cooler (soft-sided sandwich size, with a small reusable blue ice) and used the veggies as scoops for the chicken salad.  Several people eating things like nachos with runny cheese sauce, or overly-thick doughy pizza slices looked longingly at my lunch and said they'd wished they'd thought ahead.  Mine looked much more appealing than anything available at the walk-up counters.

Be prepared.  I have learned to bring a lot more than I planned to eat myself.  Without fail, someone will ask if they can share your lunch.  It's hard to say no, and even harder to be hungry later because you didn't eat enough.  They don't understand that while they may have no problem grabbing some chips or a package of cookies, those are not options for you.  It's easier to bring extra food.

• 1 month later...

I've been at a business conference for days and I've been avoiding eating any of the provided meals even the steak and fish as I'm assuming the have seasoning that may contain sugar or butter or some other type of oil , 220 people are being served at the table I dont even know who I would ask but I am really suck of boiled eggs. Are steaks and fish at nice hotels typically compliant ?

YES..     you can always ask what they do it. If they put a  sauce on it tell them to kindly skip it on yours..  Fish is probably grilled

in Canola oil but your still compliant.    

Archived