Starting May 1st!

Cinnaberry74

Hey all... I am a dad of two (boy - 10 and girl - 9) here in Kingston, Ontario Canada.  I this will be my 5th W30 and I am looking forward to some rigor again in my eating.  I have to say that I love the rules and I love the program.  Most importantly, I love how I feel and how much control doing the W30 Protocol works for me.

I have to say that some of the changes that I made way back in my first W30 have stuck (Coffee black) and some come and go with my attention to the program rules!

Quite a while ago (Spring of 2012) I came across this site after eating Paleo for some time and said "are they crazy".  I left the site and forgot about W30... then we were on a family summer vacation and everyone in my family was getting a book at the bookstore.  I saw nothing of interest but did come across the ISWF book by those radical authors from that crazy website.  I succumbed to peer pressure ("Awww... Get a book Dad") and bought the ISWF book.  I started reading it that night and finished the book in 3 days (I am not a reader and very rarely read anything outside of work).

I committed to starting that next Monday and the process has changed my life.  Looking back, I was terrified of giving up cream and sweetener in my coffee.  Black coffee was the #1 fear I had!  With that said, I committed to the program (in August 2012) and I have not had anything (even coconut milk) in my coffee since.  Black coffee is my new normal (an Americano at Starbucks is my selection of choice)!

I also changed dairy in general.  It used to be a big part of my nutrition but I rarely ever have dairy when I "off-road" and I have to admit that I don't really miss it.

I am doing day 1 of my Whole 30 and being there and having done that... Here are my few words of wisdom:

1) Plan ahead each night - we are not capable of making rational (or W30 compliant) thoughts on "what is for dinner" at 5 PM.

2) Don't try to do too many fancy recipes all at once... Pick a special recipe from ISWF, Nom Nom Paleo or Well Fed (1 or 2) and treat this as a special meal... (make leftovers).   You will excel on this program if you can find 15 minute dinners or lunches that meet the criteria that you can fall back on when life hits you upside your head (Well Fed - Rogan Josh is fantastic but it would be a W4 if I had to make meals like it every night).

3) Know that the first 2 weeks are difficult.   This is often proportional to how bad you have been treating your body and nutrition.  Know this and plan for it (read the expected timeline for the 30 days).  Don't start unless you are committed to pushing through the first few weeks.  Adversity brings character and the end result is worth it!!!

4) Buy a couple of soft-side coolers.  If you are going out (e.g. work), make your lunch (snacks if you choose them) and don't depend on restaurants to "grab a lunch"

5) Expect shopping to take forever... My first big shop during my first W30 took three hours.  Label reading is essential

6) Put yourself in situations that allow you to win... There is no problem with saying no for a while Pass on going out with friends to the bar, say no to that big family dinner, take a pass on a optional client meeting that is being catered, if you need to get your feet under you before facing your demons.

7) and... Plan ahead each night (I know I said this one but it is so very critical for success).  Create a daily plan and some benefit from a weekly plan with a weekly cook-off to prep.

I have found these to be true as well:

- You will likely spend more time cooking... embrace it!

- You will likely spend more time doing dishes... embrace this too!

- The primary cook in your home needs to be on board (if not you).  Their attention to detail (even read the salt label) is critical for your W30 success.

- When looking at food costs... look at all food costs before and after W30... It works out favorable for me, but only if you are honest about the true costs of both lifestyles!

Cheers and Good Luck!

DJ

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...

Hope you are all going strong on Day 2 for everyone.

Day 2 is not going to plan but I remain committed.  Last night was a wash and my own advice (plan every night) went by the wayside.  I did not prep my lunch or plan dinner for tonight, last night.  I went to our local Farm Boy salad bar and chose carefully (my own dressing) and we are doing chicken tonight!

I feel pretty good but sore (also started a squat challenge yesterday and my legs are not liking me too much today).

I am feeling pretty good otherwise and looking forward to a great weekend!

My food yesterday:

M1 - Poached eggs, almonds, a small apple and 3 carrots

M2 - A salad and 1/4 chicken, some strawberries and pineapple

M3 - Ground pork egg and veggie (peppers, onion, salsa) scramble in muffin tins (3) and some applesauce.

Cheers

DJ

On my Day 2, and so far, it's going well! I'm amazed at how eating protein in the morning (versus a bagel or cereal) keeps me full until well past my usual lunch time. I've also learned how well the "steamed fish and broccoli" trick  works when I'm trying to decide if I'm actually hungry or just tired/bored. Turns out I was eating much more frequently than I needed to! Good luck to everyone else who's getting started!

How is everyone doing ?? It is the weekend, there is temptation of beer and less healthy food. And to top that some of us relate relaxation with a glass/bottle of our favorite poison. I miss wine especially when I'm told I can't have none.

I found "All Natural" sausage meat, so I do not have to eat all egg breakfast. I cannot believe I cook 5(hubs)+3(me)+3(son) = 11 eggs most mornings! We have huge hands, you know what they say about people with large hands - they eat lots of eggs.

Today was M1 = Omlet with Onions&peppers, M2 = All natural Turkey breast grilled with sauted veggies and M3 = Chili and sautued apples in ghee with cinnamon. You can look up recipes at stalkerville.net for Whole30, give you plenty of ideas if you are drawing blank. I have never cooked this much in my life, typically it is open a box, mix this with that, boil/bake and done.

My husband and I are doing great. We both have headaches and I thought I was already eating paleo and would not experience the classic symptoms in the time line. I do have tons of energy although most of it was spent kicking balls at my U8 soccer boy.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I cannot wait to trade the headaches to "kill all the things".

W38

Great post.  I skipped the headaches but did have fog-head.  I typically don't have too much of an issue with weekend temptations but this weekend was a challenge.  Family is not W30 and there was ice cream cake, shortbread cookies and lots of non-compliant treats laying around my house.  Plus, shopping was limited so there were less W30 complaint things this weekend to choose from.  No cheats though!

I made some great baked chicken last night (use W30 compliant mustard (grainy better) instead of BBQ Sauce).  Mixed together with a big salad and some homemade Sweet Potato baked fries.  Love to have a good Sunday dinner to finish off the week. 

Cheers

DJ

Greetings! I technically started on 4/30, but I'll chime in with this group.

I've been eating low carb for over 15 years and following a  very low carb diet for the past two where I have been gaining and losing the same 10 pounds - driving myself insane.

I'm very nervous about the addition of carbs - in the form of veggies and I swear I can feel my thighs expanding. I am hopeful that within the month, my body will adapt and respond well to this and that I can gradually lose these extra pounds. I'm so tired of the struggle - beating myself with the same stick over and over again. I am ready and truly needing this break from the scale. To just eat healthy food to satiety and focus on feeling good is amazing.

I did wake up with sausage fingers and the headache from hell yesterday - but I see that is part of the process.

Todays menu:

B: Pork ribs, scrambled eggs, celery

L: Salad, leftover vegetable stuffed meat loaf

D: Short ribs and veggies

I've been eating some baby carrots here and there and even sprinkled a tiny bit of strawberries and sliced apples on my salads a few times. These are things I have never "gotten away with" on my LC diet.

I hope and pray I won't finish my Whole30 fatter than I was before.

HEY!!! I am also starting MAY 5th. TODAY!! I am sham to a almost 2 year old BOY! I am still nursing and have a crazy addiction to SUGAR of any kind. This is already hard! Looking for recipes etc. If anyone is doing a blog I would love to follow. I am looking to loose 5-10 lbs. 10 ideally!!!! Lets do this!!!!!! 

Hi everyone, I'm now on day 6! I had caffeine headaches the first two days as I've given up coffee as being in the too hard basket with no milk, I thought I might as well do it at the same time, then I attended a weekend training with meals provided, but I stayed up late Friday night and prepped meals for the whole weekend so I would be ok. Thank goodness I did, or I wouldn't have eaten most of the weekend, and because I had eaten well for breakfast, I wasn't tempted by the morning tea of biscuits and cakes. Herbal teas are really being my saviours at the moment, especially as it is getting colder here in Australia.

Good luck!

HEY!!! I am also starting MAY 5th. TODAY!! I am sham to a almost 2 year old BOY! I am still nursing and have a crazy addiction to SUGAR of any kind. This is already hard! Looking for recipes etc. If anyone is doing a blog I would love to follow. I am looking to loose 5-10 lbs. 10 ideally!!!! Lets do this!!!!!!

I'm still nursing, too!  (But she's a bit over 3 years old).  Follow my blog, or go to my Facebook page!  https://www.facebook.com/CrunchyKitchenMama. 

For some reason, my signature isn't showing up.... hmmmm... my blog is http://kariannb.wordpress.com/

KariannB:

Have you started your 90 day challenge? I just finished day two (and am aching all over) but I'm worried about my carb intake not being sufficient for the workouts. Granted, I am not able to eat sweet potatoes in any decent quantity because I get very bloated & uncomfortable. I also nurse 2 kids throughout the day. I start my whole30 tomorrow & I'm nervous about this!

I wish I'd get my notifications!!!!  Ugh! 

I'm actually doing well, besides a sugar withdrawal headache for 2 days....lol.  Day 5 is good :).  I'm sorry to hear about the sweet potatoes :(.  I rely on them way too much!  (But then again, I'm allergic to white potatoes,so I have no choice...lol).  I'm still nursing as well. My daughter doesn't seem to notice a drop in supply (But then again, I'd like to wean her sometime soon... she's getting kinda old!). 

Best of luck in the next few days! 

Team!

Day 7 almost in the books. It has been a whirlwind! I figured out why!!

Problem #1) I underestimated the prep phase. Weekend rolls around, Saturday is always spent on the soccer field, no problem, I have a chili in the slow cooker. Sunday is spent planning, shop around 4 PM come home by 8 !! (Label reading is a chore, Can I get pork without Sodium tripolyphosphate or sugar or Nitrites/nitrates?) I have no time to prep for the week! The week starts off stressful.

Solution: Plan during the week, shop Friday PM, and prep through the weekend. Once I name the problem I can solve it!

Problem #2) I'm cooking 3 meals a day, sometimes more. This sounds perfectly normal and harmless. But something is off. I'm cooking a storm and my husband is hungry ALL the time. And I cook more. Come weekend I have no tupperwares left. Come to find out the forgotten leftovers are in the refrigerator taking up space and tupperware! It did not dawn on me - EAT THE LEFTOVERS FAMILY, they are food too! I guess in my household we have an upspoken stigma against eating leftovers. But we are overcoming it now that we know our problem.

Aside from the learning processI have been cruising, I had headaches day2-3. My husband and I got into it end of Day 3(Kill All the things??) about too much planning/shopping/prepping/cooking and cleaning. He decided to take one of the "ings" from me, guess which one?That is when he discovered the tupperwares in the fridge and the revealation.

I believe I hit tiger blood days4/5 together with "Kill All The Things". I'm normally a polite person, but these days you can go to h3!! if you cross me , and I have no time for your BS. I do not want to listen to why you cannot do it the way I explain it, stop talking and DO IT FOR PETE SAKE. And I like it, can I keep it?  :o

I know it sounds too soon for tiger blood, but I have been eating paleo for the most part last month anyway. If this is not tiger blood I cannot wait for it to hit! Husband has had headaches since day 2 and has not stopped. He is pushing through.

I have no cravings or food dreams, I have limitless energy. At 11 last night I was scraping coconut for my breakfast! I have no bloating.

According to the timeline 10-11 days are the hardest and it is coming up. Stay strong my fellow folks, we shall prevail!

Dharma... Well I was LC before too.  I was a follower of Protein Power for a long time (got to love the Drs Eades!).  I did well but I did LC for weight loss...

I have to admit as I get older, my focus has really changed from weight loss to health.  I still am too heavy for my size but I am OK with it as long as I strive to be healthy.  I focus on eating good food (W30 Rocks), focus on moving (currently a fan of HIIT) and I really TRY to get good sleep each night.

If I make an honest effort on these three things... I am OK with everything regardless of whether the scale weight is up or down.

If I am healthy, enjoying my days and I am able to remain fairly active... I don't worry about the weight as much.  I am never going to be a Calvin Klein model... and I am OK with that!

Cheers

DJ

Well... Day 7 and I am doing pretty well.  Forget all that stuff I posted thought in the first few days.  My planning has been poor, my finances are strapped this week and good food options in my house are limited.  I have remained on plan (veggies in the AM are always my challenge) and love how I am feeling at the end of week 1. 

I am also doing a Squat challenge for the Month.  I have 80 squats to do tonight (I don't count the 60-70 I did in my HIIT class at lunch). 

I am starting to see some of the mental clarity that I really enjoy when I eat W30 clean.  I am not anywhere close to Tiger Blood yet but I love the craving control and overall "Master of my Domain" that W30 gives to me.  Not having to snack or supplement (e.g. Tums) to get through the day is such a gift.  Of all the lessons that the W30 has taught me, it is the very powerful chemistry that our food provides to our bodies and that I can gain so much control from making a few conscious choices. 

I am lucky that I don't drink (wine withdrawal is big for many here) but my sugar dragon is big, cranky and can strike without warning.  W30 gives me the ability to let my Sugar Dragon go on a long vacation and bother someone else for a while.  This is so empowering!

Breakfast was 3 poached eggs and a small banana (with black coffee (Americanao) of course).  I just had a big salad with olives, sliced roast beef and lots of veggies, plus a small apple.  Tonight will be W30 compliant organic sausages and maybe some sweet potato fries (homemade of course), plus likely a salad.

Keep pushing on.  It only gets better after week one! (if you can keep on top of that big pile of dishes and find some clean Tupperware!)

Cheers

DJ

Ooh, I'm going to jump in here, too, with the mom group (and djoyce!)

I am feeling a bit deflated today because my husband keep sabotaging my attempts to keep my kids compliant.  Not really on purpose, but because he gets overwhelmed when he is watching the kids when I am not home, and he falls back on his "go to" noncompliant meals.  I am gone every Fri night to Sunday morning (squeezing my 32-hour work week into two days), and no matter how much I prep and leave notes before I leave, by the time I come home, the kids are ricocheting off the ceiling and have been noncompliant all weekend.

I took this weekend hard, because I personally wanted to do a whole30 starting May 1.  But coming home to a household that was out of control triggered all of my self-destructive tendencies and I sabotaged my own diet as well as continuing the destruction wrought by my husband.

So, here it is, May 7, and today is a less-exciting day 1 of my May Whole30.

Tracy

I haven't put my kids on Whole30 (they are 8, 6, and 3).  My 3 year old is mostly paleo, because I started her young, but my boys are all gluten and fun stuff.  I figure that as long as it's organic, it's ok for now.  (I rail against GMO's and stuff... we are a pretty clean household).  I plan on feeding them all that they have (waffles, noodles, etc), until they run out, then ease them onto more paleo. 

My hubby is threatening to go buy Twinkies or a breve latte from Starbucks.  He's sticking to this pretty well, but I don't trust him...lol.  He's traveling next week, and I know he'll break his compliance :(

My kids' ravioli looked REALLY good last night :ph34r: .  I'm on day 7. 

Well 8 days down and today was a day off work (daughter to dentist and son's school project).  Good day but always tired running errands all day!  Compliant today and did get out to do some shopping for W30 food.  Always easier when good choices are available!

Keep going strong!

Great to see you agian Tracy!

Cheers

DJ

Weekend update:

Day 10 in the books. My idea of "shop friday, prep weekend" plan kicked off with a rocky start. You got to start somewhere to get fron underneath the constant cooking!

I read "Well Fed" and "Well Fed 2". They are Whole 30 cook books that teaches you to run your home like a restaurant. You prep your food ahead of time, so meal making is simplified. I bought ingredients with the guidelines and have been prepping all evening(Soccer rained out). I have veggies done. Will tackle meat tomorrow. 

Hey All

Day 10 complete and Happy Mother's day to all the Moms in the group.  Enjoy it but remember that good health is the best gift you can give yourself!  I know this is hard to say when the kids wake you up with pankakes and toast that they made!!!

Today my son's boy scout group went to an aviary (honey bee hobby farmer) and we learned about bees.  It was good and very interesting but planning was at a minimum.  Had to change the headlight on the car and then shower which left no time to eat.  We were on the road and no breakfast (no coffee even) and treats for the car that included sandwiches, fruit loops, bear paws (cookies) and apples.  I had an apple and pushed through It was after 1 PM before I got a coffee and not until 2 pm until I got some real food.  Poor but I did not break down.  We even went shopping at a country market and bought baked goods, chocolate cream pie, pizza, and pountine!  How many temptations can I mention in one post??? (8 if you count the honey)

They all ate lunch at 12:30 with me driving home while they ate before I got home and made my breakfast/lunch.

Oh well... I kept thinking of Mark Sisson's intentional fasting concept to get me through!  B/L was eggs (4) with salsa and a homemade fruit salad.  Dinner was beef tenderloin kabobs and a big salad with some pistachios on the side.  Just finished

Hope all is well in W30 land and you are all making great progress!

Again, Happy Mother's Day to all the great mothers!!!!

Cheers

DJ

Just checking in to say hello.

I have definitely gained weight eating this way, but I'm holding out hope that my body will adjust before I have to buy "fat" clothes.(My thighs are bursting at the seams!) My fat cells seem to be rejoicing at the increase in carbs from all of these veggies.

I'm hanging in there because I love eating this way. It is so delicious and satisfying and I have no cravings whatsoever.

The thought of having to go back to calorie counting and being chronically hungry while living on mostly meat and eggs is entirely unappealing.

Now I'm off to go enjoy my breakfast of leftover ribeye, eggs, and some veggies. Yum!

Happy Mother's Day, ladies!  Successfully pulled through my day 10 eating outside of the house yesterday!  It was kinda easy.  I brought stuff to dress up my plain lettuce wrapped burger at In n Out, and had steamed snow crab legs and steamed broccoli at Red Lobster.  Man, I was still hungry after that...lol. 

My hubby leaves for a trip today, and since I'm an emotional eater, I usually bake lots of paleo sweets when he's gone.  Let's see how I pull through this one! 

Have a great day, mommies :)

Day 12.... Boy this weekend was tough.  I really was craving everything; salt, sweets, alcohol. You name it, I wanted it. I ate a small container of blackberries Saturday night. :( Not great but better than a 3 Musketeers Bar!  It is also that time of the month so I am not sure where to place blame.  I held strong and made it through.  Waiting for the energy to kick in.  I wake up fine but then hit a low about 10-11:00.  Hoping I can get some more energy and exercise a little more each night.  Happy Day 12 to all of you! 

Day 12.... Boy this weekend was tough.  I really was craving everything; salt, sweets, alcohol. You name it, I wanted it. I ate a small container of blackberries Saturday night. :( Not great but better than a 3 Musketeers Bar!  It is also that time of the month so I am not sure where to place blame.  I held strong and made it through.  Waiting for the energy to kick in.  I wake up fine but then hit a low about 10-11:00.  Hoping I can get some more energy and exercise a little more each night.  Happy Day 12 to all of you! 

Yesterday was my day 12, too.  I'd die for chocolate right now....lol. 

Day 14 done. I acknowledge that my taste is changing. Without smothering in spices I'm able to enjoy veggies! A simple Eggplant saute with salt and crushed pepper is very tasty. Also I'm not stressed out about what to eat any more. I know we won't die if I don't serve a perfect meal. I have no cravings or food dreams, I still have lots of energy!

I have been enthusiastically following, but my husband is not a happy camper. He has been suffering from diarrhea for a few days, I removed nightshades hoping that would solve it. But it has not. He is still compliant and pushing through. He has POTS and related abdominal struggles.

Archived