Newbie started April 15 - sweetener discovery

menageriemeg

Hi all - I'm new here, and pretty enthisiastic so far (I'm on day 4). Having a great time cooking up my heaps of veg and I've actually gotten my 14 year old son to try a few of my meals (fingers crossed that he decides he's interested).

I noticed something interesting and wondered if anyone else had this experience. For years I've begun my day with a cup of tea with milk and splenda. Of course, not anymore :-) -- it's plain black tea for me. And I keep finding half-drunk cups of tea around the house. Clearly I don't need as much as I thought I did, and also clearly it was the sweetness, not the caffeine, that kept me coming back for more. The thing that's interesting is that it was splenda, not sugar, and yet it seems to have had the same effect on me, at least psychologically.

I love the way the fog is clearing....

KariannB - what worked for me is to begin removing the sweet stuff in my morning tea before I began the Whole30, like a week ahead. I think it helped me with not feeling deprived. I know I needed to not be that challenged first thing in the morning before my caffeine. :) Also, when I've weaned off sweet in the mornings in the past, I switched up what I was drinking -- green tea, for example, which I don't actually like sweet.

Good luck with your transition -- I think you'll feel a lot better once you're past it.

I loved tea and coffee with sweetener, but cut out the coffee and reduced the tea to an occasional cup of herbal. I finished my first whole30 almost three weeks ago and have only had two cups of coffee since, but realized I needed much, much less sweetener! Like 1/4 to 1/3 of what I used to use!

Good luck!

Archived