Salt

Hey there :)

I started my Whole30 officially on Wednesday.

Just a question about salt. Does it have to be sea salt or kosher salt? I live in Brazil and have yet to find anything other than regular or chunky salt for BBQ meat.

Have been a bit paranoid and have only used a teeny bit of regular salt in a few of my dishes.. but my food would taste just that bit better with some more.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

I don't know what the official Whole30 stance is, but I know that good sea salt contains vital minerals.

Regular table salt has several additives and is fairly bitter compared to a good sea salt. If you want to learn about good salts, I recommend looking at the Saltworks website .

iherb.com and amazon.com sell some good sea salts and I believe they ship internationally?

There are some great salts produced in South America. I know it sounds weird (and expensive,) but buying good quality salt will make a huge difference in the taste of your food. My favorites are Maldon and Celtic. Smoked sea salt is incredibly delicious.

Here's one from Brazil: http://www.saltworks.us/pure-ocean-natural-sea-salt.html

When you switch to eating unprocessed foods you probably dramatically cut your salt without even thinking about it. Don't be afraid to add some. Your body actually needs sodium.

Mostly I use that "light" table salt that's part sodium and part potassium. Someone recommended that to me as a strategy for getting extra potassium. I used to have night time leg cramps but I haven't lately!

Archived