You know someone is doing a Whole30 when...

jhmomi

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-when they have a love affair with a sweet potato

-when their daughter tells them they are supposed to eat like a caveman not sound like one when groaning in delight over a piece of bbq meat

-when they wake up with a smile in the morn and feel down to see how much mommy belly is left

GREAT POST-thank-you!!!!!

• 1 month later...

When your non-whole30 husband (who absolutely refuses non-traditional breakfast food for breakfast!) says as we are cleaning up dishes from dinner, "I assume we are keeping all these leftover veggies for you to eat with meal 1 tomorrow?"

When you are a actually praying (to a god you don't even believe in) that waitrose will have their organic type of tinned coconut cream and milk in tomorrow...because they have been out of stock for 2 weeks and everywhere else's have unmentionables in the tin

*cries*

I might actually cry if they haven't,

When you are down on your hands and knees pulling 500 cans of tuna fish off the grocery store shelf looking for one dang can that doesn't have soy!

Pouched tuna in oil won't have soy (at least none of the ones I've found do). Canned tuna in water always will. Try the pouches!

Not always.

Without going to a specialty organic type store, I haven't ever seen it. Granted, my available stores have only had the typical Starkist and such brands but I've never personally seen a can of tuna packed in water without soy. I'm sure Whole Foods (whole paycheck?)/Trader Joe's/etc. would have something but that isn't available everywhere the military sends me...

I've never seen tuna with soy in it, ever. Tinned tuna here is tuna and either water, water and salt (brine) or oil. Even the really cheapo ranges. I panicked when reading about tuna on the forums for the first time so just wanted to put it out there for anyone new who is from the UK.

Without going to a specialty organic type store, I haven't ever seen it. Granted, my available stores have only had the typical Starkist and such brands but I've never personally seen a can of tuna packed in water without soy. I'm sure Whole Foods (whole paycheck?)/Trader Joe's/etc. would have something but that isn't available everywhere the military sends me...

I've found it at both Kroger and Publix.

Commissaries should carry tuna packed in olive oil, that shouldn't have soy. The bagged tuna mine carries has soy just like the tins. I thought about ordering compliant tuna from Amazon but decided the cost wasn't worth tuna in my life so I stick with the olive oil kind.

Commissaries should carry tuna packed in olive oil, that shouldn't have soy. The bagged tuna mine carries has soy just like the tins. I thought about ordering compliant tuna from Amazon but decided the cost wasn't worth tuna in my life so I stick with the olive oil kind.

The pouched tuna in olive oil is the only soy-free tuna I've found between Germany, lower Alabama, and Korea so far in the commissaries. It was really handy in Germany because the commissary had a salad bar so I'd make a huge veggie salad with a little fruit on it and buy a pouch of tuna to top it with. Balsamic vinegar as a dressing and it was delicious.

I'm sure they've changed it up a bit, you can never rely on the stock... I'm in Germany right now and I think there is one pouched tuna in oil (but I don't know if its olive oil) and the others all have seasonings that are non-compliant. All of the typical canned brands have soy, but the canned in olive oil doesn't so that's what I use. The salad bar does come in handy, plus the ready to go small containers of olives I found!

OK we're off the post topic, but why the fixation on just tuna? I skip the tuna and go for canned salmon, mackerel, oysters. Maybe I'm missing something about the tuna? I love added bonus of calcium from the bones in the mackerel and salmon, too. My stores in the midwest sell full big cans of these for just $2-2.50.

...when your co-workers say, "I know you won't eat this, but I made (insert baked goods/pasta casserole/dairy-infused dish here) and you're welcome to have some if you want." And you just roll your eyes and turn back to your computer screen.

...when baby carrots, bell peppers, onions and sweet potatoes are ALWAYS in your fridge because they are now main staples in your diet.

...when you start thinking about holiday recipes you can take to gatherings months ahead of time so you'll have something compliant to enjoy - and they turn out to be the most popular dishes!

• 1 month later...

…..when your weekly shipments from the FedEx truck are Primal jerky instead of clothing.

…..when you get together with your friends at the coffee shop and whip out your little tupperware container of coconut milk to dump in your coffee.

…..when you get looks in the checkout line because you just bought ten cans of olives and five packages of Pederson's bacon.  And that's it.

you know somebody is doing a whole30 when....you see them looking confused in the produce department with the whole30 book, a notebook, mom, dad and two kids all working together to try and figure out what they need to buy.

Ok, this wasn't me, but I really wanted to give them a big hug, lol.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You know someone is doing a Whole 30 when they want to make mayonnaise with an immersion blender but they don't want to wake up their husband who is sleeping in the apartment bedroom adjacent to the kitchen, so they go to the second bedroom, close the door, then go into the bathroom, close the door, and make their loud mayonnaise within the confines of the bathroom.

I may have just done this...

What! I needed a mayo fix!

Archived