You know someone is doing a Whole30 when...

jhmomi

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd give my right arm for a lovely big chest freezer! Sigh...

A chest freezer doesn't solve everything. I spent 15 minutes digging through piles of frozen meat in mine the other day to try and find the two packages of stew meat I'd buried under all the roasts. I think I'm going to get a few plastic storage bins to try and organize the meat a little better....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread made me laugh so hard!!!!

...when you check for sugar free bacon EVERY time you go to the grocery store, even though you were just there 2 days ago and they didn't have any.

...when you bring your own kale to a BBQ at a friends house to make kale chips to eat with your lettuce burger.

I've sooooo done the bacon thing!!!  We actually make our own bacon and there is minimal sugar on the initial cure...however, I have no idea what is in the "smoke" my father in law uses (it's a liquid), so I've stayed away, but dang, I want bacon!!!  =)

I even saw a brand labeled "uncured" and wouldn't you know???  All the "added" ingredients were the SAME as cure!

You stop subscribing to the Sunday paper for the coupons, because there are no coupons for beef, ghee, fresh vegetables, etc. AND to allow yourself to be removed from the temptation to feed the hungry, "starving" college student the CHEAP Hamburger Helper and varied choices of soups because you know that it's.just.wrong. to feed your family members that substitute for "food."

... when they bring their immersion blender along when they travel.

So, I saw this post before leaving for a week's vacation where we'd have a kitchenette and thought, "I'll get by without my hand blender. I'll buy olive oil mayo and try whipping butter into my coffee with a fork." [i'm actually post whole 30 and can tolerate a little dairy.] Wrong. I didn't find any olive oil mayo, and the fork thing left greasy butter blobs on the surface of the coffee. Three days in I found a Proctor Silex at CVS for $20. It was so worth it. I will always pack one in the future!

• 2 weeks later...

They keep remaking recipes getting down to the bare minimum of ingredients while keeping the "basic idea"

They have a new recipe for each day of the week using kale

They can't help but carry around a small pad of paper prepped with "it starts with food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig written on it to pass out when people ask "what's up with you lately?"

People know your "whole30" cycle and when to avoid asking you to dinner

...for my birthday today i got 3 cookbooks - Beyond Bacon, Primal Cravings & The Odd Bits (all about offal!) - and a cast iron skillet, and i couldn't be happier :D

Roz, for my birthday I was given three paleo cookbooks and then I turned around and ordered another one the next time.  I am in the double digits of cookbooks and there is no sign of it stopping. 

Archived