Coconut oil Recommendations.... and coconut oil vs ghee

kaj918

I'm having a tough time finding a reasonably price coconut oil that has high marks. Everyone I bring home, I search the forum and read negative comments about the brand. Any favorites out there? 

Also, can ghee and coconut oil be used interchangeably? Appreciate any thoughts! 

Guest Andria

I am not sure what the "negative comments" could be other than someone's personal preference.  I have not detected much of a difference between coconut oil brands, especially if we are talking the virgin type.  It all tastes "coconutty" to me and there are certain things I will not cook in it because of the awful combination of flavors (i.e., broccoli and coconut oil, bleck!).  Lots of people rave about Tropical Traditions, but it is pricey.  Trader Joe's or Whole Food's 365 brand both sell an organic virgin coconut oil for $5.99/16oz

Ghee is wonderful to cook with! Gives food a much better flavor than coconut oil, IMO.

You can get a huge container of Nutiva Extra Virgin at CostCo. If you're not a member, ask a relative or friend who is to buy you one. It'll last you a year.

I've found ghee to be more taste neutral. Coconut oil lends a, well, coconutty flavor to food (which, I hasten to add, I like for certain foods).

Green Pastures makes an awesome coconut oil ghee for cooking.  I bought it once but now just buy a jar of each and use what I want.  I have bought several brands of coconut oil and liked them all.  Organic, unrefined is what I use but I have some refined on hand for popcorn, too.  Tropical Traditions is a great company.  Right now I have a jar of Ojio.  My only requirements are that it is organic and sourced from the Philippines.

Depending on what you are cooking, you might want to use one versus the other.  When we roast a chicken (425 temp) we use ghee.  It has a higher burning point than coconut oil.  So the skin doesn't brown as fast.  It will brown, but with coconut oil, it seems to 'over brown'.  If I'm warming up an Adele's sausage, I use ghee for the same reason.  With roasted veggies, I like to put coconut oil on them because it makes a carmelly sweet taste.

I DO NOT like coconut oil or milk in my cauliflower rice.  It's funkadory tasting.

So to answer your question, technically, they can be used interchangeably, but you will get different flavor profiles and your browning will be different.  I think it's best to have both on hand so you have lots of options.  :)

PamH - out of curiosity, why is coconut oil from the Philippines preferable for you?

I meant to add Thailand, too.  I just remember reading somewhere that these two places are best sourced as far as farming practices and fair trade goes... but now I cannot find it.  Funny how we hold on to information.   Luckily, no GM field tests have been done on coconut to date so we can still buy non-organic.

Honestly, it is probably OK to source coconuts from other places, too.  I just have a thing about where my food comes from but I think I need to read up on it again to keep up to date.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned already, the bad reviews must be based on a person's tastes.  Unrefined will taste much more like coconut than refined.  Refined should have almost no taste at all.  You can try a local farmer's market for lower prices on coconut oil.

• 4 months later...

Archived