Spring 2014 Post Whole30 - keeping the fun going after our first W30

We've almost all checked in and are feeling pretty pleased with how things went. Weight has been lost, inches have disappeared and we are feeling strong!

I have decided to keep going for another 30. I have not been tempted by non W30 foods.

It's strange, though. I had great food yesterday that I was certain was compliant but started to feel gassy with weird GI symptoms last night. Flu? Some weird additive in the food I ate? Who can say.

Hoping for at least a six mile run later. Lots of driving and running around this weekend so that may not happen. :)

Happy Easter to anyone who celebrates it!

Sparklefiftyseven...found the new place for us to meet!  :)

I did my 3 mile run yesterday.  My new spring start as I work to increase mileage.  Good luck with your 6 miler today. (My long runs are Saturdays...so we'll be able to keep up with each other's progress.)

I don't intend to continue with Whole30.  I've never had food issues...which in the past has been my issue.  But, having spent 2 year "clean eating", I'm thankful for the additional knowledge that I've gained regarding how my body reacts to sugar.  I'm also thankful that, after years of shying away from, healthy fats are now a new component of my clean eating...a happy return to be sure!  

Am looking forward to seeing how we progress.  You, Sparkle57 with the continuation of Whole30 and me with my new changes to clean eating. 

Yes, it will be good to support each other.

No running this weekend. :( We had a crazy schedule and it just didn't fit in. This is the big mileage training week for the Brooklyn half I am working for. I'll do a 12-miler this weekend and I hope to get 3 runs in this week. My husband has a bad work week tho and we are trying to run together. So we'll see how it all works out!

Am wondering how I will know that I've got the habit. :) Like you, I'm glad that I have certain things at the forefront of my brain now. So I do think that this second W30 will be pretty easy. I feel so much less anxious than I did a month ago, that's for certain!

What you are running on Saturday?

Cheers.

Nothing big that I'm currently training for...a 5K in May and contemplating a 10K in June.  In July I'll decide whether I'm registering for the 1/2 marathon at Disney in February as part of my Mom's 75th birthday celebration weekend there.

In the meantime, I've been planning to hike the Camino in Spain in Sept 2015...but am now considering moving the timeline to doing it this year.

I know someone who hiked the Camino. What an incredible experience. 

It's so funny living in this post W30 worlds. I have been compliant as per the rules but somehow I don't feel like I am doing a W30! It's more like I am just eating this way normally now and day 60 will come and go with no real fanfare. I have contemplated adding stuff back in but have not really missed things so have not bothered. Hmmmm...

Ran 4 this morning and felt good. I think I said I am training for the Brooklyn Half. It's in mid-May. Last one I did was pre W30. I've trained more so I can't really give W30 total credit. Still, it will be interesting to see how I do.

Cheers!

Hi Ladies!  I didn't check in on the other post because we were out of town for the weekend.  When I weighed myself I was down 8 pounds!  Unfortunately I didn't eat so well at my in-laws' house on Easter.   :unsure:   Going to the grocery store today and will resume clean eating again!  I really noticed that I don't feel well with sugar...so definitely learned a lesson there!  I wasn't craving it, but gave in to it anyway...bad idea.  Need to keep that Sugar Dragon away!  I had a terrible headache yesterday, and blame the way I ate on Sunday.

Wish I had the motivation to run.  Hoping to start out by walking daily.  Not sure how it is going to feel since I am pretty sure I have developed arthritis in one of my big toes.  Aren't I too young for that?  LOL.  I may need to invest in a really good pair of shoes.  Taking the kids for walks will mean a slower pace than what I should probably aim for, but any walking is better than none at all I suppose.

Congrats on finishing your Whole 30's and continuing on a healthy eating path!  

Hey ladies! I found you! Great to hear from all of you again :-)

Easter came and went. I went a little crazy with the sugar, and like MusicMom said, it hit me HARD. I had such a belly ache (maybe also from the gluten in the cupcakes) and a headache! Yesterday I resumed clean eating but felt like I was hungover. Crazy! I know, I know ... should've done a proper reintroduction.

I thought I would go back to the SO Delicious vanilla coconut creamer with my coffee. However, I had it Sunday morning and it was just TOO sweet. Yay! I'm sticking to regular coconut milk or ghee in my coffee. I can't take the sweet that early. Who would've thought! 

I'm allowing a few "sex with your pants on" foods but being extra mindful of the psychological effects they could have if I eat too much. For example, I can't throw away the yummy paleo cookies I made for our Easter potluck. My kiddo loves them too. 

Small victory ... it is EASY to resist my son's Easter candy. Win!

I'm about 2 and a half weeks out from my half marathon. I did an 11-miler this mornin, again with baby food pouch. I'm feeling it a lot in my legs. That probably has nothing to do with my diet, but instead the weight lifting I did yesterday.

I have a yummy curried chicken salad in the fridge ready for tonight after swim lessons. Anyone else cooking anything good this week?

I think it is great that the sugar dragon has limped away - mostly - for us. And Music Mom, your results sound great! 

ACat, I have to get back to a routine cooking wise. I've done a lot of entertaining for "regular" folk so my choices have been limited. I've been eating lots of nuts, fruits and veggies. I don't feel like I've had a real meal in a while. We have more guests until Monday so it will be a weird eating week. 

I do love "Well Fed2" and NomNom Paleo for ideas. Your curry chicken salad sounds delish. I made another batch of blender mayo that looks really good and tastes good, too. 

I have a 12-miler this Saturday. Maybe I'll try the baby pouches. I know what you mean by having tired legs. It's not what I am eating, it's the big increase in miles that I am feeling. 

MusicMom, shoes are the key! Walking is a great way to move. I read up on Mark's Daily Apple and I really like his approach. I won't be giving up my running, but I like his unfussy approach to strength training.

Cheers all!

MusicMom- I started with walking.  It made a HUGE difference in my life!  6 months after I started walking (and lost a bunch of weight), a friend was starting the C25K program and I'd been curious.  That's how it all began for me...but, even now, when I don't get to run, I still make sure to walk and get my steps in for the day (running just gets my steps faster).

I totally od'd on sugar for two days...and was sick to my stomach for having done so!  Now, it's back to eating things that really give me joy instead.

Funny how many of us have come to that thought.

Hey ladies! Just checking in to see how everyone's doing! Sparkle, how was your run?

In the spirit of honesty, I hit the candy pretty hard yesterday. Not sure why... I had some pizza and did a wine tasting earlier in the day. I think the wine gave me the munchies. And I was exhausted. Not cool. While I was eating the PB cups, I was thinking, "this is so not right. Have to stop. And really, they aren't that good." And I did, eventually. Arg! That made me so angry. BUT, the day is done and today I'm back on plan. I've been doing really well since Easter. We had a special date night Fri at a wine and food tasting for charity. I let myself off road for that one. But Sunday, dang it!

BAKrafty, I like what you said about eating foods that bring you joy. I think I'm really looking for a delicious dessert that will be "worth it." Maybe that's where the candy thing came from. I wasn't satisfied by the dessert I was "allowed" to have at lunch so I hit the candy. Next time I'm tempted, I will ask myself if a food will give mind and my body joy.

Tonight I'm making the Bora Bora Fireballs from Well Fed. And the curried chicken salad was so delicious last week that I'm going to make another batch for this week's lunches.

In other news, my race is Sunday. I had a great 8-miler yesterday and hoping I can get a PR next weekend. We shall see!

Go, ACat, Go!!!

Thanks for checking in - I have been meaning to but have had lots of guests and distractions. 

I'm having another munchy day. I had a hankering for something salty and crispy so I made my own coconut oil fried sweet potato chips. And a handful of almonds and raisins. AND a Larabar. Not sure what is up but I've had these days before with no physical price. If I were not firmly menopausal, I would say I was about to get my period! :)

ACat, I've come close to diving into bags of tortilla chips and Stacy's pita chips. I had rid the house of stuff like this but then filled it "for the guests." Who didn't eat any of it. I have to ship it off to my son - he's 22 and impervious to chips somehow. One minute I feel with it and the next, not so much. This confirms my feeling that I need to be limiting the off roading and trying at least a "mostly W30." And in truth, I have not eaten one thing that was not compliant. Just not in meal form! Not so good. 

My long run was pretty good! I hit my target overall time but struggled to do negative splits for my quarters (each quarter was 3 miles). Still I was happy with it. Feet hurt a lot for the last mile or so but I seemed to recover pretty well. That was the longest run - 12 miles. The next one is shorter and then I taper. I can't wait to hear how your race goes!

I'm going to go on the W30 site and look for that off-roading guide. I think it could help. I'm kind of stuffed from the snacking so am not feeling like dinner. I definitely goofed!

Cheers...

Aghh! I hate it when you buy special foods for guests, then they don't eat it. Funny you mentioned the pita chips. I have some in my pantry now for my husband... be he's not eating them fast enough! HA!

Way to go on your run. There is no better feeling than knowing your longest training run is d.o.n.e. Everything after that just feels easy, or at least I tell myself that ;-)

I had a dr appt today to get ready for the next round of fertility treaments. As part of the lab draws they did, they checked my TSH level for my thyroid (I'm hypothyroid). Well, the nurse called this afternoon and told me to half my dose of synthroid and they'll re-check it in two weeks. That was such great news! Whole30?! We shall see!

So happy to hear about the thyroid, ACat!!! Fantastic. I have a physical in one week and I am very curious about what my blood tests will reveal. I know I lost weight but I wonder about my borderline high cholesterol.

I really had food cravings yesterday! I finally said **ck it and had some Sriracha chips (well, the whole bag) and for some reason I had to have a chocolate glazed donut. AND to top  it all off, I met with friends and decided to have a martini. Ay yay yay... I was so curious about how I would feel this morning. Well... my sleep was bad and I had a headache. 

I sometimes have days like this where I just want crap food. I am so glad that I have W30 to return to. Today I had a 180 in terms of what I wanted to eat. I wanted Whole 30 stuff all the way. I do need to figure out the whole snack thing. I would like to rely on them less and eat what I need to at meal time so that I'm satisfied longer. I will not go hungry if I am feeling like I need to eat. Some days, I am just fine between meals. Others, not so much.

Anyhoo, back in the saddle again. Running has been bad this week, like nonexistent so far. And it's not time to taper yet! :)

Take care and all the best with the treatments. 

Just checking in. Had my last long run before the half in 2 weeks. 10 miles and it was my best yet. My feet hurt like heck but I'm happy even so.

Had a couple of glasses of red wine on Thursday with no ill effects. It did not thrill me and I'm happy to basically not have the stuff except for the special-est of special occasions. I clearly am not doing another W30 but I'm okay with that. I truly am compliant 99 plus percent of the time but like the flexibility of knowing that if it is a special deal, I can "off road."

Cheers,

K

Half marathon finished yesterday! I got a PR and meet my life goal of getting in under 2 hours ... 1:55:06 to be exact :-) I was nervous because I had a rough Thurs. I had two glasses of wine ... and well that always leads to bad decisions. I proceeded to  OD on candy-covered pecans and chocolate candies while at book club and had a serious sugar hangover all day Fri. Lesson learned (again!).

Anywho, the race was awesome and fueled my W30 foods :-) Even at the finish I passed up the granola bars and honey buns because I knew I had meatballs and sweet potato in a cooler waiting for me. 

Aiming for a 90% week this week :-)

ACat, CONGRATULATIONS! That is a fantastic achievement breaking 2:00 for your half. Really wonderful. :)

I've had some wine and it always seems to be two glasses and nowadays it seems to really go to my head. Not so much food wise though I hear ya on the pecans and chocolate. I have not had a return of the "I must eat everything in the house" feeling this week. That's the way it goes for me usually. I have one of these days about once a month. :)

I'm just so proud of you! I hope to get around 2:30 for mine. You'll be inspiring me!

P. S. Got my first shipment from U. S. Wellness meats. Gotta be careful because overdosing on sugar free sausage probably not a good idea. But the stuff is delicious. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted in the "on track" forum to say that my cholesterol is down for the first time in years! 

And I finished my half marathon slightly faster than the last one. 

Feeling good these days. I've probably had more wine and martinis than I should but I'm giving myself a break for the next few days. 

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers. 

Archived