My Parents Smoke

Brad Jones

Hi everyone, I just moved back in with my parents yesterday after living away for about a year. I love living with them and its great, but I have a HUGE problem with them smoking, and usually it's inside the house. Not only is it disgusting (my clothes often smell like smoke, and my senses have been dulled to the smell so I'm not really aware of my scent in social situations), but I'm also concerned about my health. I know the W30 guidelines say absolutely no tobacco use of any kind, would living with my parents go against that? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

We're not going to tell you to change your living situation because of your Whole30. Is it ideal? Absolutely not. Is second hand smoke a health risk? Yes...but that's all bigger than the Whole30.

The problem is that I don't think you can/should expect to be able to do anything about it. It's not your house, it's theirs...and they have the right to smoke in it. I don't know your parents, so maybe they would agree to only smoke outside while you're living with them, but if I were in their position, I wouldn't be thrilled with the request/imposition.

Like I said, this is bigger than the Whole30, so do what you're doing and carry on, but I'd think long and hard about how strapped the finances are and whether the savings outweigh the potential negative impact on your longterm health. Just my 2 cents

Thank you! I'm definitely considering the whole financial vs. health thing, and the only reason I'm living here now is because I'm going to be joining the Navy relatively soon.

I'm just wondering if I will still get a good response from the whole 30 or if this could potentially just screw the whole thing up? Anyone experience this before?

• 1 month later...

Archived