Trouble in the afternoon

I'm on day 26 of my first Whole30 and am really struggling in the afternoons.  I love the 3 meals and no snacking idea, and find that I do great in the morning.  I eat 3 eggs and 2 c of cooked cabbage with 1 T coconut oil, and have no problems making it until lunch.  For lunch I usually have a salad of 1-2 palms of meat (ground beef or turkey), occasionally a hard-boiled egg, 3 c of lettuce, 6-8 black olives, 1-2 T olive oil, and 1 T vinegar.  I finish lunch off with 1/2 c of sweet potato with coconut oil or < 1 c of berries.  Anyways, usually in 2 hours I'm hungry again.  Steamed fish and veggies sound great!  If I don't eat, I get irritable and ravenous and overstuff myself at dinner (on Whole30 compliant foods at least!).  I want to try to go the 4-5 hours in the afternoon without snacking, but my body doesn't seem willing.  I have done it some days of my Whole30, so I'm wondering if it might be hormone related.  It's crazy.  It's almost like I want to eat dinner a short while after lunch.  I'm doing the Whole30 on the recommendation from my naturopath to bring down my a1c and LDL levels.  Any ideas for how to feel in the afternoons like I do in the mornings????

Have more than lettuce and 1/2c sweet potato for your veggies at lunch. Lettuce will fill you up, but won't satiate you. I'd start with having a whole sweet potato, and if that doesn't help, add 1-2 cups of cooked greens.

• Moderators

Right, salads are rarely very filling. Ground turkey is extremely low fat, so doesn't help much with staying satisfied long. Ground beef can be low fat too. Shifting to a lunch composed of more substantial foods as Chris suggests is likely to be helpful. 

Thanks, Chris & Tom!  I switched up my cooked veggies to lunch and upped my portions and had my salad at dinner.  Yesterday I made it 5+ hours til dinner and today I made 4 hours.  I may be overeating slightly at lunch, as I'm scared to get ravenous later, but I trust that will work itself out in time.  My Whole30 is almost over, but I don't get my blood work done until mid-June, so I really need to take what I've learned and make it stick.  Thanks for your help!

I seem to have this problem as well. I work long hours, usually in the office by 930 and out of here by 7:30. I'm OK with the time between breakfast and lunch, but between lunch and dinner is crazy hard for me. I usually have lunch around 1pm and don't get to eating dinner until 8 or 9pm usually.

I try to snack on a handful of nuts or a cup of mint tea, and I drink lots of water, but by 4:30 or 5 I'm starving. Do I just need a fattier, bigger lunch? Or do my work hours just doom me to snacking?

Archived