Slip-up = Whole 30 Do-over?

So I'm on Day 7 of my first Whole 30 & I just realized that the unsweetened coconut milk from Trader Joe's that I've been using has carrageenan in it! I've used it as a subsitute for milk this past week (used about half the carton). I'm so upset that I missed this! I've been reading all the ingredients lists so carefully (not to mention been running myself ragged cooking 3 meals a day for my husband & I) that I can't believe I didn't catch this. These past 7 days haven't been easy with all the temptations I've been resisting & now I can't help but feel like it was all for naught.

The big question is: do I need to start my Whole 30 over?

Sorry about that. I just checked my cans and the TJ's light coconut milk doesn't have carageenan. You have to get the canned coconut milk. I don't use more than two cans a week so I'm fine with the watered down stuff. No coconut milk in a carton is ok to use.

I would just keep going. Honest mistake and if that's your only slip I'm sure you are benefitting from all the great things you are eating. Hopefully you feel so good on Day 30 that you want to keep going anyway. :)

And you will love real coconut milk. So yummy!

• Moderators

Carrageenan has the potential to be disruptive of your gut, so you do need to start over. Some people heal faster and some slower, but you really owe it to yourself to experience 30 days without eating anything that makes you less healthy.

There are a few slips that are probably not worth starting over, but anything that disrupts the gut is important.

And as jhmomi said, no coconut milk in a carton is okay. All of it has preservatives that make it a problem. Look for the canned coconut milk.

I wouldn't look at it as starting over. Just add 30 days to the last 7. Technically it's a do-over, because your body hasn't done the same level of healing and resetting as if you had not had the off-limits coconut milk. But you've already made all the other changes. Don't discount that hard work! Your "Day 1: The Redux" will be so much easier than your first Day 1, kwim? Don't despair. You're doing so great! It wasn't all for nothing--it was all for YOU!

Thanks for the input & encouragement!

Bethann- You are so right! It wasn't for nothing; it was for ME! :D I will remember that.

I was a bit down on myself for a while there, but we all have growing pains when we try something new so there's no point in being so hard on myself.

I've actually decided to make it into a Whole 37, so today marks Day 9. The last 2 days have been so much easier now that I'm getting the hang of prepping food in advance.

I know I never would have felt right not doing a complete 30 days in a row. I have never been a quitter & I don't cut corners & I'm not about to start now, especially when it concerns my health. Here's to 28 more days of clean eating!

Don't run yourself ragged cooking 3 meals a day! On Sundays, my hubby and I make one or two slow cooker meals and a soup or stew. Sometimes chicken salad...etc. Then we package it up into meal size portions and store them in the fridge in plastic containers. Then our lunches & dinners are at the ready! You can make frittatas or other breakfast food to have handy too! I still end up cooking about two dinners a few breakfasts throughout the week, but its so much easier now!

Archived