Messed up my reintro on Easter...

bekahellen

So my reintroduction was going smoothly; I figured out that dairy upset my stomach, but legumes and gluten-free grains were ok. Yesterday, I was going to reintroduce gluten by having a wheat roll with dinner. I only ate one, and was surprised that I didn't feel the need to eat 5 rolls like I usually do. Then came dessert. I wasn't going to have any, I really wasn't. But it being Easter and all, I decided to have a TINY slice of banana cream pie (it really was tiny). Within an hour I was on the toilet miserable, and am still paying for it today. My question is, can gluten cause that sort of reaction in people, or is it probably just from the dairy in the pie? Also, if I wait 2 more days and then reintro JUST gluten, will it still work even though I already ate a wheat roll yesterday?

Bottom line: it's unclear exactly what caused your reaction last night. I suggest returning to 100% Whole30 eating for 2-3 days, until you feel better, then do a proper gluten reintro of gluten items at all three meals, keeping everything else Whole30 compliant.

So my reintroduction was going smoothly; I figured out that dairy upset my stomach, but legumes and gluten-free grains were ok. Yesterday, I was going to reintroduce gluten by having a wheat roll with dinner. I only ate one, and was surprised that I didn't feel the need to eat 5 rolls like I usually do. Then came dessert. I wasn't going to have any, I really wasn't. But it being Easter and all, I decided to have a TINY slice of banana cream pie (it really was tiny). Within an hour I was on the toilet miserable, and am still paying for it today. My question is, can gluten cause that sort of reaction in people, or is it probably just from the dairy in the pie? Also, if I wait 2 more days and then reintro JUST gluten, will it still work even though I already ate a wheat roll yesterday?

Seems like a common dairy issue (especially since you said dairy upsets your stomach) but I would wait a week and try it again with just gluten.  Eat a roll like you did before.  

Banana cream pie is pretty rich and some call for almost 2 c heavy whipping cream which is a pretty big dairy fat bomb.  Even a small piece could have 2-3T heavy cream.

No fun!

I did wait 3 days until trying gluten again- had a poppy-seed muffin this morning and sure enough... gluten does not treat me well. (But the muffin label did have milk on it... would that cause a dairy reaction or not since it's baked in and the main ingredient is flour?)

I did wait 3 days until trying gluten again- had a poppy-seed muffin this morning and sure enough... gluten does not treat me well. (But the muffin label did have milk on it... would that cause a dairy reaction or not since it's baked in and the main ingredient is flour?)

Unclear, as you consumed both gluten and dairy together. 

To be certain of your results, when you reintro, it's really important to test only one food group at a time. Otherwise, you cannot directly correlate your reaction to a specific ingredient.  Better gluten choices to test are things like bagels, pasta, and a roll.  Have one gluten item at all three meals, and then see how you do that day and the next 2 days, when you return to 100% Whole30 compliance.

Archived