Anela's Whole 30 Log

anelamarie

Day 21 & 22 - Life is a breeze! So much energy, what to do with it. Be extra active! Been to the rock climbing gym twice, lifting weights more, adding cardio before and have my strength sessions. And I feel absolutely wonderful.

Day 21 

Meal 1 - Two MSF turkey sausages with a sweet potato veggie sauté. 

Meal 2 - Gasp. In N Out - Double double protein style; no cheese, no sauce; mustard fried, chopped, chiles, and grilled onions. 100% compliant, well maybe not the meat but it's the best I could do.

Meal 3 - Leftover saute, kalua pig, curry cauliflower (not pictured).

Day 22 

Meal 1 - Sweet potato with two pieces of bacon and an easy over egg on arugula.

Meal 2 - Roast chicken. Lara Bar. Lacking in veggies cause I was on the go.

Meal 3 - Brussel sprouts, lettuce wrapped bacon and mushroom burgers with kimchee and sprouts. Celery with almond butter. A small glass of coconut milk. 

tumblr_n5c8uz6Lt11rx4q48o3_500.jpg

tumblr_n5c8uz6Lt11rx4q48o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n5c8uz6Lt11rx4q48o2_500.jpg

Day 23 - A revelation. 

I like bread and dairy. No, I friggin LOVE it. Am I going to go back to eating it after the whole 30. Sure. Of course. But in moderation. I'm planning on an 80/20 paleo. 

Here's what I've been thinking. No processed, sugar filled breads. Just good, homemade rye, wheat, etc - on special weekends, not every single freaking day. That, with a healthy helping of sweet cream and good brie. I'm totally okay with that. Especially if my body responds well after reintroduction!

I've been torn and anxious about life after the whole 30. But I understand that it's a matter of seeing what works with your body and making better choices. I no longer want to eat twinkles and high fructose syrup. I can do without the grocery store sheet cake and the fast food chain pizza. All I want to do is listen to my body, feed it good food and be active. I want to live my life feeling confident, strong, and happy; to have a healthy body image and to not calorie count till forever.

So thank you whole 30 for helping me kick my sugar dragons, my processed food dragons, and making me realize that I just need good wholesome food as a baseline to an energy filled life.

Meal 1 - Filipino egg scramble (tomatoes, green onions, chard, and fish sauce) with half of a sweet potato and turkey sausage.

Prior to walking up and down the lighthouse steps twice! - a handful of almonds and pecans.

Meal 2 - Leftover kalua pork with brussel sprouts.

A snack - Celery and almond butter. 

Meal 3 - Green chicken curry (two bowls) with lots and lots of veggies and mustard greens from the garden. 

Currently sipping on a cup of Xiao's blend. 

tumblr_n5e2qmmil41rx4q48o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n5e2qmmil41rx4q48o2_500.jpg

Wow!  Up the light house steps twice!  That's a workout!

I have also been thinking about life after whole30 (i am on day 16) and right now am contemplating doing a repeat to make a whole60.  Its good that you have a plan in place to be accountable to!

Wow!  Up the light house steps twice!  That's a workout!

I have also been thinking about life after whole30 (i am on day 16) and right now am contemplating doing a repeat to make a whole60.  Its good that you have a plan in place to be accountable to!

The lighthouse steps is a fun one! I try to do it twice or three times a day. I like to call it nature's stair master. 

Thank you for your encouragement! The whole30 has been such an experience so far...

Ugh - 9pm update // day 23

My stomach isn't feeling well...

I ate chicken that wasn't pastured, because my roommate bought it. I used it to cook our curry.

Could it also be the coconut? 

Blech. 

Was the fish sauce compliant?

Was the fish sauce compliant?

Yes, it's homemade fish sauce from my grandma. I've used it before with no problems. 

Ack - I don't know what's going on. I've been drinking a lot of warm herbal tea to soothe my tummy.

I had a cup of coconut milk yesterday, and my stomach felt okay. But maybe it's the amount of coconut milk in the curry. I didn't cut it/water it down. 

Out of sheer curiosity I tallied up my Whole30 food costs for the month: Eek, a whopping $475.29...for one very tiny person.

Granted, I have all of the staples now, and I will not be using all of the meat in the freezer in my last seven days. I probably have enough meats for another two weeks...My next grocery trip won't probably be till next week since I have more than enough veggies...

But, whoa! That is the price of eating fully organic and pastured (outside of tonight's chicken).  I will better budget and plan my meals from now on. eek. 

Day 24 - Feeling wonderful. Let's get that tiger blood going for my squat workout tomorrow!!!

Meal 1 - Two sunny side up eggs over sprouts and arugula with bacon.

Meal 2 - Left over bacon, mushroom burgers over sprouts and arugula with a handful of almonds.

Meal 3 - Cilantro lime wings, roasted butternut squash, salmon cake with pale mayo mixed with hot sauce over sprouts and romaine. A spoonful of coconut butter. 

And a picture of leftovers for the next few days!

tumblr_n5g6zcyqNk1rx4q48o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n5g6zcyqNk1rx4q48o2_500.jpg

tumblr_n5g6zcyqNk1rx4q48o3_500.jpg

Day 25 - I have so much freaking energy. It's unbelievable! Woke up this morning, did a leg workout. Walked around at work rather than driving my car. Ran three miles after work since I had an hour to kill. Then went to play ultimate frisbee afterwards. I love, love, love it!

Pre workout - handful of macadamia nuts

Post workout/Meal 1 - cilantro chicken wings, cup of coffee

Meal 2 - roasted butternut squash and left over curry. cherry lara bar. 

Pre run - apple slices wrapped in proscuitto

Post run/ultimate/Meal 3 - cast iron steak over arugula and sprout salad. roasted butternut squash and curry cauliflower. cup of herbal tea. 

I wake up feeling so energized. My work is improving and my attitude is generally happier. & another progress picture…5 days until David comes home, 5 days until the whole30 is done!

tumblr_n5huz0XU1t1rx4q48o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n5huz0XU1t1rx4q48o2_500.jpg

Day 26 & 27- It isn't so much about what I'm eating anymore. I'm finally in the swing of things — peruse the crisper bin, throw something together in the cast iron pan, eat. And it is so freaking delicious.

I had a Lara Bar today. It was definitely too sweet. Is this a turning point? I think I would rather just eat whole nuts with pieces of fruit rather than in bar form. I think that's a turning point. So I packed several small one-size serving containers of nuts to keep in the car for emergencies. Maybe, I'll make some homemade venison jerky this weekend too. 

Day 26 - Ugh, I forgot most of what I've eaten. I know, I can't believe it. I promise it's compliant.

Meal 1 - Two eggs sunny side up & left over steak over arugula and sprouts. Spoon of coconut butter. Last of the butternut squash. Iced coffee with a whole fat coconut milk ice cube! 

Meal 2 - Curried cauliflower and roasted butternut squash with left over protein (I forgot).

Pre-gentle yoga: three strawberries

Meal 3 - Mushroom and bacon hamburger patty with a fried egg over arugula and sprouts. With curried cauliflower and kimchee. Strawberries and peanut butter.

Day 27

Meal 1- Two soft cooked eggs with furikake. Cabbage, leek and snap pea stir fry. Strawberries. Iced coffee with coconut milk.

Meal 2 - Three salmon cakes with roasted beets and leftover stir fry.

Pre workout - Lara bar.

Meal 3 - Crispy panfried chicken breast with Rao's marinara. Remade the cabbage stir fry with carrots. Strawberries.

The hardest part about day 27 was that my boss brought in haagen daz ice cream bars and fruit bars this afternoon as a cool down snack. It was 85 degrees in the office. I politely declined and drank my water. It's probably why I had the Lara Bar honestly. Oh wells, yay me! Will power! 

tumblr_n5lt4a2bDf1rx4q48o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n5lt4a2bDf1rx4q48o2_500.jpg

tumblr_n5lt4a2bDf1rx4q48o3_500.jpg

Day 28 - Hot weather means a beach day! And beach day means beer and potato chips and all the other beach food that friends brought. 

Me, I wasn't phased a bit. Okay maybe. The big economy size bag of ruffle-like potato chips had me craving, but I was prepared! I had raw oysters with compliant hot sauce, cucumbers, a little cup of almonds, chicken and apple sausages to roast over the fire and a large bottle of sparkling water. That sounds pretty dang good to me (and, I don't feel like a bloated turd.) 

Meal 1 - Two eggs, cabbage stir fry (seriously, I have nothing else in the fridge), kimchee and a strawberry.

Meal 2 - Cup of coffee, Apples/strawberries with almond butter. I know this is awful, I was working overtime and didn't have anything else on me.

Meal 3 - Cucumbers, raw oysters, a mini mushroom and bacon burger, handful of nuts a chicken and apple sausage.

Okay, not the best for being on the go. But I did what I could. Next time, get more vegetables in for the day. Plan out snack containers for good protein. Do I feel hungry right now? No. Do I feel awful? no. But hey, I did it, difficult social situation number one of the summer and I stuck to my guns.  Maybe I didn't get the whole template down, but this is a learning process and I am ridiculously proud of myself.  

tumblr_n5nk6oUsQn1rx4q48o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n5nk6oUsQn1rx4q48o2_500.jpg

Day 29 - it seems fitting that on my last few days I barely have the time to update. Cause life takes over! And your eating habits no longer become the center of the universe. I've been doing well, despite having to be away from the comfort and security of my kitchen. I've made good eating choices. A bright, happy, healthy future in store for me maybe?

Meal 1 - Left over roasted chicken with Rao's marinara sauce. This stuff is absolutely delicious. Preggo got nothing on this. With leftover cabbage stir fry. 

Meal 2 - Wholefoods has a paleo bar! Spring salad mix with cauliflower tabbouleh, shredded carrot salad, roast chicken and a hard boiled egg. A white nectarine.

Meal 3 - Once again on the go, so a stop at in n out. Two hamburgers mustard fried, no sauce, with grilled onions, chopped peppers, wrapped protein style. 

I'll have an update on Day 30 tonight! I went grocery shopping for my next month...and surprisingly everything I bought was whole30 compliant. I don't expect to do a whole365, but I'm just taking things as it comes. If a delicious homemade cupcake makes it my way and it's the right occassion, sure I'll splurge. But browsing down the aisles of whole foods and seeing kettle chips on sale at 3 for $5. I felt so strong being able to think, "hm...that tastes pretty dang delicious, but I don't need it." YEAH! 

Archived