My first suspect - what next?

johanna0528

I reintroduced non-gluten grains on Easter so I could make a side dish that would incorporate something "extra" but still keep me in check at the in-laws' feast (happy to say it worked: no sweet potato casserole drowning in brown sugar for this chick)! :)

I made squash and covered it with quinoa, mixed with garlic and onions, and a splash of lemon. But at different times that day, I also ate organic whole kernel corn with ghee, and organic corn chips. The results have not been dramatic, but I can't explain it. I don't feel...."right". I'm not experiencing a storm in my gut, but it just feels like there's something going on--a light pressure of sorts--and I was a little constipated yesterday, but again, not dramatically...just compared to what's usually going on. I usually have a BM in the morning, and that didn't happen until the evening. Now, I will say I have been extremely stressed all weekend (end-of-semester exams, leaving my full-time job, and getting ready to move to another city, all in the next two weeks), and my water consumption in the last two and a half days has been shameful! So, that cannot have helped!

After yesterday, I am being more mindful of the water intake. But out of the two possible culprits, I am more inclined to believe the corn was the trouble maker. Although I'm kind of sad to give either of the two up! When you find yourself responding to a group, do you ever break it down further and isolate the foods to see if one particular food is affecting you more than the other, or do they usually end up having the same effect on you?

Side note: as an aspiring R.D., the nerd in me is finding this process rather fascinating. :D

Some folks do further isolate or retest, to pinpoint a specific food issue. That's certainly an option you could take.  Either way, the recommendation is to eat 100% Whole30 for at least two days in between tests.

When I reintro'ed non-gluten grains, I did not include corn.  Just rice, oats, and quinoa,  Corn is a separate entity in my view, as we have family history of allergy to it, it's in EVERYTHING, and it's nearly all GMO.  I plan to reintro it later all by itself, just so the results on other things would be clear.

Archived