My own Whole30 redux

Johnny M

I've already done 2 whole30s and life after has been great! Unfortunately easter, some work travel, and a few nights at the bars have me feeling pretty crappy again so I'm going to nip this in the bud and dive into another whole30 with a group of friends in San Francisco. Wish me luck!

11am

• coffee with some grass-fed ghee blended
  • huuuge burger patty with bacon and homemade chipotle mayo
  • seared red chard
  • and some kombucha in the afternoon

Dinner tonight will be one of the following probably over mashed cauliflower. They're each cooking 4-8 hours so I have some time to decide. There's no lunch in the middle because I'm hungover and my stomach is doing flip flops

• pulled pork that's cooking away in the crockpot
  • chunky beef chili stew that's simmering away on the stove

Renee - I think you can only buy them green...which are awesome but cooked slightly differently. The green ones are kind of chip like and I like them dipped in things like chili or guac. If you buy some green ones and leave them on the counter until they turn completely black...like so black you think you need to throw them out (they've even grow a little mold on the skin and I've read this is FINE) then cook them they turn into the sweetest tastiest little treats.

My regular grocer carries both, actually, and then they rotate around the store as they ripen.

I prefer them yellow, JUST before they start turning black. I stopped buying them because I finally accepted that deep frying paleo foods in paleo approved fats is a terrible idea (though a DELICIOUS one) for my context (food reward issues anyone?), but I may pull them back in with better cooking methods.

Hah! Well it's good to know your own context :) You can see from the picture that I eat them as a treat (there are only 4 little slices) because I instantly turn into a sugar monster after just 1 or 2 indulgences.

having fun on the forum during a looooong work call. Going to heat up some of the leftover chili and cauliflower for lunch.

Also wanted to mention...before restarting, I had a couple glasses of wine friday night, and got full out drunk on saturday ("riding my own bike" drunk....not a good idea). I had a couple cocktails earlier in the week and a mess of non approved easter food. I've been REALLY cranky for the past 3 days...like mad at the world and don't want to get out of bed (i even yelled at my cats yesterday). Could it be the food? I'm hoping it was the food because that would mean I'll be feeling better in a few days. I'll let you know.

-Cranky Pants.

pretty sure yelling at the cats makes you crazy pants, not cranky pants. And for the love...next time you ride your bike drunk we want video!

but seriously, good luck and hope you feel better sooner rather than later! Nobody wants a cranky moderator :(

Thanks Johnny M for letting us newbies know that you experts struggle too! I have trouble letting myself slip then picking myself up, dusting off, and trying again! Glad to know you ride your own bike drunk too! At least you didn't fall face-first into a box of donuts!

Hahahah...great video :) I promise not to be cranky on the board. And really I am very excited because I spent 60 days being compliant at the beginning of the year and had nothing but great things to say about my mood and health so it makes sense to me that the past week of eating and drinking is directly effecting me emotionally. I've known for years that the day after I drink too much I'm typically anxious, depressed, or both so this crap mood seems related too. I can't wait to feel great again!

On the plantains, I can only ever find them green, and they take forever to ripen, and I have found, from experience, that you cannot peel them when they're green. That was a mistake even trying. Do you just buy plantains, forget about them forever, and then be like, "oh hey, I don't remember buying plantains"?

yup! You can peel them when they're green it just takes some work. I cut off each end and cut a few slits lengthwise down them and peel carefully and cook for tostones. Once they're yellowed and starting to brown I just let them go until they're really black...then they're perfect for maduros!

I am king of planning but I'm running late today, have nothing prepared, and have a packed day of work including taking some clients to the Giants game tonight. Going to try to stop home later for a quick bite to eat before heading off to the game. I will not eat ballpark food!

I have plantains sitting in my cupboard right now! They've been there for over a week. When I bought them last Sunday I thought they'd ripen by dinner Thursday.... still waiting! Good to know that they can get black, though. I tried frying them up while green once and while not bad, they had *zero* flavor. Can't wait for them to get sweeter, dipped in some guacamole!

Good luck at the ballpark!

I know this trick works with bananas, not 100% sure it works with plantains: You can speed up ripening by tossing them in a brown paper bag.

Bananas release a gas that ripens them so by putting them in the bag you are trapping the gas around them. So you can put an avo in a brown bag with bananas and it will help ripen it too.

No idea if plantains produce the same gas...never seen them over here.

So I won't post all meals but I will be noting struggles and victories. I was pretty worried about going to the Giants game tonight on an empty stomach to entertain clients but luckily we were in a little suite and our food platters included a carved turkey for sandwiches and roast beef. I had a hotdog, fries, chili, and tortilla chips topped with cheese and chil washed down with a few beers a plate of roasted meat with some grainy mustard, a couple olives, and a huge mound of grilled veggies all washed down with seltzer water. Such a perfect meal!

Archived