listening to your body

I'm on day 14 now and I just CAN'T do a template breakfast. I'm allergic to eggs and trying to eat meat for breakfast was literally making me retch. But if I eat fruit and a few nuts when I first wake up and then move on to a full meat and vegetables meal around 9 or 10 am I feel great. Then I eat lunch and dinner normally.

I also lost my appetite around day 9 and started getting bad dizzy spells. When I started eating more fruit I felt great and got my appetite back for everything else even though we're not supposed to be eating a lot of fruit.

I know that a lot of this program is about breaking bad habits, which I have done by giving up starchy side dishes, pizzas as an after dinner 'snack' and treating myself to hot chocolate or a chocolate bar to 'relax' after lunch or while watching tv before bed (I now just have a cup of herbal tea). I just wonder if there is no 'one size fits all' because everyone has such different bodies/metabolisms/lifestyles/genetics. I myself am tall, thin AND breastfeeding. If your body is really trying to tell you something (like you CANT chow down on a big chunk of chicken when you first wake up, or your body is not thriving without a certain amount of natural sugar), is it usually correct? I understand the difference between OMG NEEDING a candy bar and just needing to eat a certain way to feel your best. I'm new to this so is there something I'm missing?

• Moderators

I am suspicious that your aversion to eating animal protein at breakfast is psychological and not physical. I am not aware of anything related to hormones, digestion, etc. that would explain aversion only at breakfast. Human bodies require protein and the hormonal ideal is at least a palm-size portion at each meal. If you were pregnant, spotty aversions might make sense, but as a breastfeeding mom, your nutrition needs are high.

Just because I suspect your aversion is psychological does not mean it is not powerful. You may need to find another way to get your animal protein at breakfast besides eating a hunk of meat. Maybe a good chicken and cauliflower soup. You could puree the chicken and veggies so that your meal is a rich broth. Many people like soup at breakfast. 

I am concerned that you are not eating enough and the extra fruit you have been eating is getting you close enough to your calorie needs to feel relatively okay. As a breastfeeding mom you need starchy veggies, probably at every meal. Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, beets, plantains, etc. Fruit can carry part of that weight, but starchy veggies are denser and provide more nutrition. I bet if you added more servings of starchy veggies, your craving for fruit would ease a bit.

Actually, you are kind of eating four meals per day. A mini breakfast and then 3 meals. That is a good plan for a breastfeeding mom as your calorie needs are high. I would just like to see the first meal being more substantial and a good way to round out all of them would be to add starchy veggies.

I also don't like big chunks of meat at breakfast, but I love ground meat stir-fry with veggies. I use ground turkey, chicken or grass fed beef and it keeps me satisfied longer than eggs and veggies. I also like soups in the morning.

By the way, do you drink coffee in the morning? If you have coffee first thing it can be an appetite suppressant which could be why you don't want to eat first thing.  

Do you eat late at night? I have found if I eat dinner before 6 pm then I am really hungry for breakfast, if I eat at 8 then I am not very hungry in the morning. Good Luck!

Actually soup sounds like a good idea! I love butternut squash soup and could probably add some chicken. Mixing meat into things really helps. I have no problem eating meat a couple hours after waking up, but at 6 am the thought of eating it straight up just turns my stomach.

I'm hardly eating any starchy veggies. Some carrots and zuchinni but not much else. I eat a lot of really big salads and steamed green veggies like asparagus. I figured adding lots of oil would help but probably not. I usually base my veggies on what's available/in season/cheap but the starch content never mattered before because I was also eating rice/potatoes/bread. I think I'll try adding one to every meal and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice! I want to make this long term so I need to tweak it so it works for me.

I also don't like big chunks of meat at breakfast, but I love ground meat stir-fry with veggies. I use ground turkey, chicken or grass fed beef and it keeps me satisfied longer than eggs and veggies. I also like soups in the morning.

By the way, do you drink coffee in the morning? If you have coffee first thing it can be an appetite suppressant which could be why you don't want to eat first thing.  

Do you eat late at night? I have found if I eat dinner before 6 pm then I am really hungry for breakfast, if I eat at 8 then I am not very hungry in the morning. Good Luck!

No, I don't drink coffee at all, and only drink tea in the afternoon or evening and not every day.

I used to eat a lot in the evenings pre whole 30, now I don't. We eat dinner around 6 pm. If I have a snack before bed I'm actually hungrier in the morning than if I don't. 

I tried  2 kinds of sausage and also just regular dinner leftovers. Egg allergy so most breakfast recipes are out. I could do bacon but all bacon where I live has sugar in it. It's also a time thing too. Between 6 am- 830 am I'm running around getting kids dressed and fed and packed. A sit down meal isn't really happening even if I wanted it to...

I went to the store today and bought sweet potatoes, a butternut squash, turnip, plaintains and parsnips. We already have carrots and zuchinni. I'm going to try to incorporate a starchy vegetable into every meal. I made these sweet potato hash browns in my waffle maker pre whole 30 that were amazing so I'll make some of those for sure!

Day 15 today and feeling great. It's just such a relief not to have a stomach ache every day anymore.

Archived