New food reactions on AIP

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone could have some insight.  I have been on the AIP diet for about a month now, and before then was pretty much strict paleo/whole 30 for at least a few months.  I have Celiac disease and suspect leaky gut.  Since going on AIP I've noticed more energy and less brain fog but I am concerned about new food reactions and their severity.  I am now reacting to previously 'safe' foods such as beef, onions, garlic, butternut squash, pumpkin, sweet potato, poi, vinegar, olives, coconut and plantain.  My reactions are SEVERE and like never before.  I get so dizzy and unbalanced I can barely stand and need to lay down.  My heart starts beating so fast I feel like I am having a panic attack and I have extreme anxiety.  I feel as if I've just taken 90 bong hits, literally.  I feel nauseous, sleepy and weak and go into a sort of zombie state.  I also get an odd sensation as if my throat is closing up.  These symptoms start within 5-20 minutes after eating and typically last 30minutes-1.5 hours and then I am back to 'normal.'

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what could be causing these new and strong reactions.  Could it be that since the diet is so limited, and I have a leaky gut, I am beginning to react to the main staples of the diet as I am eating them so often?  I have no idea what to do because I need some source of starch in my diet otherwise I lose weight and feel as if I'm starving (no matter how much fat I eat, and I can't afford to lose anymore weight).

Also, my skin is worse than it has ever been.  Blotchy, red, and deep acne.  I have no idea what is going on as I subsist on bone broth, pastured meats, veggies, and healthy fats...how can that be causing me to break out when back when I was eating grains and dairy I wasn't!?!?!?

Sounds awful. Assuming its food and not a virus or infection.... I guess when you have a leaky gut you can react to many things.... Protein fragments, bacteria, ingested toxins. Starches can speed up bacterial overgrowth as can the poorly ingested carbohydrates in garlic and onions...fodmaps

I have had good success with bone broth or gelatine with each meal to seal the gut, and probiotics each meal either liquid or capsule to help digestion and prevent bad bacteria growing, plus enzymes from raw foods each meal, can't tolerate the tablets for some reason. Once the gut is sealed and bacteria in balance it makes a huge improvement in tolerance of foods. I hope you can sort it out

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.  My husband has leaky gut but he never had the symptoms you describe.  Are you able to eat beans?  After our whole 30, he added home made beans to get some resistant starch.  He felt that resistant starch was needed to further heal his gut.  He's been eating beans and green bananas for a little over a month now and he thinks it's helping.  It certainly hasn't hurt  :)

Archived