Post Whole30 Leaky Gut Q

McTracy

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some insight into "leaky gut".  I completed my Whole30 a few weeks ago but it was more like a Whole40 because I was a little afraid to reintroduce foods and possibly feel like garbage.  But two days ago I reintroduced gluten by having some pasta, one beer when I went out with friends, and a few rice krispie treats that my sister-in-law brought for Easter.  By last night the joints in my fingers and toes were aching a bit and my digestion was noticeably off although not completely troublesome (on the Whole30 I never even noticed my digestion - it was always smooth sailing).  Mild headache today too which isn't typical for me.  Does this reaction indicate that my gut is still leaky or injured or would my body have reacted to gluten this way even with a healthy gut?  I was feeling great after my Whole30 but this makes me question whether my gut is really better yet.

By way of background, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 4 years ago after finding feeling a lump on my thyroid and having it removed to figure out it it was cancerous or not (thankfully, it was benign).  After my surgery I was told I had Hashimoto's and when I asked what that meant I was told that my thyroid would eventually "burn out" and I'd go on hormone replacement medication. The doctors were totally casual about it as if telling me I had a cold virus, no big deal.   Unfortunately I only realized this year after feeling sluggish and ridiculously cold in a 70 degree home that maybe there was something I could have been DOING about this autoimmune situation by trying to figure out why my body was so fired up that it was attacking my thyroid and thus started my research, finding the Whole30 and learning about the possible link between Hashimoto's and gluten.  Pretty disappointed that doctors never even suggested this to me but at this point I can only move forward.  I plan on eating paleo for at least the next 6 months to see if I can improve my thyroid situation AND the joint pain that's been creeping up on me this past year.  

But the main question I had this morning was about leaky gut and wondering if I still have this problem.  My adult acne cleared up beautifully on the Whole30 after decades of using acne medications, joints were feeling much better too, but the sensitivity to cold and the slight sluggishness from my thyroid still seemed to be hanging on and now I think I see the gluten effect on my immune system.  Thanks for any input, truly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some insight into "leaky gut".  I completed my Whole30 a few weeks ago but it was more like a Whole40 because I was a little afraid to reintroduce foods and possibly feel like garbage.  But two days ago I reintroduced gluten by having some pasta, one beer when I went out with friends, and a few rice krispie treats that my sister-in-law brought for Easter.  By last night the joints in my fingers and toes were aching a bit and my digestion was noticeably off although not completely troublesome (on the Whole30 I never even noticed my digestion - it was always smooth sailing).  Mild headache today too which isn't typical for me.  Does this reaction indicate that my gut is still leaky or injured or would my body have reacted to gluten this way even with a healthy gut?  I was feeling great after my Whole30 but this makes me question whether my gut is really better yet.

By way of background, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 4 years ago after finding feeling a lump on my thyroid and having it removed to figure out it it was cancerous or not (thankfully, it was benign).  After my surgery I was told I had Hashimoto's and when I asked what that meant I was told that my thyroid would eventually "burn out" and I'd go on hormone replacement medication. The doctors were totally casual about it as if telling me I had a cold virus, no big deal.   Unfortunately I only realized this year after feeling sluggish and ridiculously cold in a 70 degree home that maybe there was something I could have been DOING about this autoimmune situation by trying to figure out why my body was so fired up that it was attacking my thyroid and thus started my research, finding the Whole30 and learning about the possible link between Hashimoto's and gluten.  Pretty disappointed that doctors never even suggested this to me but at this point I can only move forward.  I plan on eating paleo for at least the next 6 months to see if I can improve my thyroid situation AND the joint pain that's been creeping up on me this past year.  

But the main question I had this morning was about leaky gut and wondering if I still have this problem.  My adult acne cleared up beautifully on the Whole30 after decades of using acne medications, joints were feeling much better too, but the sensitivity to cold and the slight sluggishness from my thyroid still seemed to be hanging on and now I think I see the gluten effect on my immune system.  Thanks for any input, truly appreciated!

Hi - how are you doing? I have terrible symptoms that aren't improving with Whole30. In fact they have got much worse. I have been researching like mad. I've come across a load of info on leaky gut and am now convinced I need to follow a program to sort it out. I don't really know what I'm doing!! Have you managed to figure anything out?

Archived