How would you whole thirtify this Bacon Brocc Salad Recipe?

robrom504

I found this recipe in a primal cookbook and want to try a variation of it. I finished my whole 30 last week so I could prepare this according to the directions, less the sugar as a "whole 30ish" dish. How would you modify to make completely compliant? How would you modify to make slightly compliant or W30ish? Thanks in advance.

Ingredients:

-1 cup OO mayo

- 2 -3 tbsp raw honey, Grade B pure maple syrup or coconut/palm sugar

- 1-3 tbsp unfiltered apple cider vinegar, pref raw (optional)

- 10 slices cooked bacon, cut or crumbled into bite size pcs

- 1 cups nuts (try almonds or walnuts)

- 1/2 cup assorted raisins or dried fruit, OR 1 cup cut up fresh fruit (optional)

Instructions are basically to just mix all the above together. Here's my plan for post plan close to compliant: throw out the bacon completely, I can't afford USWM bacon and usually can't find a suitable replacement. Might try it with Fresh Market minimally processed bacon but this one has added sugar. If you know a good substitute meat please share. Make the rest as listed using fresh fruit (blue berries probably), raw almonds, and starting with 1 tbsp raw honey and then tasting from there to see if actually needs more than that. Apple cider vin has a strong distinctive taste and fruit should sweeten so I think I could get away with less honey or none at all. 

There's a broccoli salad recipe in Well Fed 2 that's very similar, except without the honey and with raisins in addition to the bacon and nuts. The raisins would add some of that sweetness you'd get from leaving out the honey.

I tried that WF2 recipe with crisped prosciutto once - the prosciutto didn't stay crispy at all, but I think I dressed the salad awhile before I actually ate it. I might try it again and dress the broccoli, prosciutto, raisins and nuts at the last minute and see how that holds up.

I made the salad earlier this week as according to the ingredients listed above with these variations: 1 pack of minimally processed bacon from Fresh Market (baked in the oven until crispy), raw almonds (whole), 1 cup seedless red grapes halved, 1 tbsp raw honey, 1 tbsp app cid vin. I made the OO Mayo according Clothes Make the Girl recipe, but used an electric hand mixer instead of a blender. It turn out to be more of a liquid than a creamy mayo but this was fine for the salad. 

The dish was delicious and I've been eating off it all week. I'll probably leave the bacon and the honey out next time. To me both are just an added treat and not truly necessary. It's been nice to have a vegetable dish ready to go straight out of the fridge. My cooking tends to be focused more on proteins and veggies come as an afterthought, usually microwave steamed. 

I made the salad earlier this week as according to the ingredients listed above with these variations: 1 pack of minimally processed bacon from Fresh Market (baked in the oven until crispy), raw almonds (whole), 1 cup seedless red grapes halved, 1 tbsp raw honey, 1 tbsp app cid vin. I made the OO Mayo according Clothes Make the Girl recipe, but used an electric hand mixer instead of a blender. It turn out to be more of a liquid than a creamy mayo but this was fine for the salad. 

The dish was delicious and I've been eating off it all week. I'll probably leave the bacon and the honey out next time. To me both are just an added treat and not truly necessary. It's been nice to have a vegetable dish ready to go straight out of the fridge. My cooking tends to be focused more on proteins and veggies come as an afterthought, usually microwave steamed. 

Just to clarify, honey is not allowed on a Whole30, and you'd need to use compliant bacon, or skip it. I realize you're currently not Whole30'ing, this statement is more not to cause confusion for any folks who may read this thread in the future.

Archived