Liver recipes?

wendelina

I've read a lot lately about how good eating liver can be for you.  So much, that I've _mostly_ gotten over my "it's the body's toxic waste dump, how the @#*(&@)(#& can you eat that!!!!" gut reaction and I want to try it.

However, my husband, who is game for pretty much every food thing I want to try, is steadfastly against the idea of trying it out.

So, my question to my fellow Whole30'ers / real food lovers is - what recipes do you recommend to try liver and see if you like it?

• Moderators

My favorite is rabbit liver. It really is incredible. If you can't find rabbit liver, you can make this recipe with chicken liver too.

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/06/rabbit-livers-with-onions-and-dried-cranberries-over-wilted-greens-and-yellow-bell-pepper/

I eat calves liver regularly. Here is the recipe I use most of the time:

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/12/calves-liver-with-artichoke-hearts-diced-tomatoes-and-prosciutto/

• 2 weeks later...

Wendelina, I've always had the same opinion of liver as you, especially since my mom used to make us eat really overcooked nasty liver growing up. I've also been determined to incorporate it into my diet because it's packed with vitamins (like B12) that I'm deficient in. Last weekend I took the plunge and bought one pound of bison liver from the farmers market. I did a lot of web browsing looking for recipes and cooking tips because I was GOING to like this, no matter what. I ended up eating the entire pound over 3 days and by the last meal I was ready for more. Here's what I did:

1. Soak the liver for 2 hours in enough water to cover and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. This is supposed to make the texture more tender and I believe it helped.

2. Sauté a sliced vidalia onion with a thinly sliced Granny Smith apple in a good amount of coconut oil.

3. Coat the liver slices with coconut flour, salt and pepper. Push the onions/apples to the side of the pan and add the liver. I had to do this in several batches. For each batch, add a splash of balsamic vinegar and more coconut oil if the pan gets dry. Cook the liver for about 3-4 minutes per side. You definitely don't want to overcook it and mine was slightly pink in the middle.

The first bite tasted like liver, but not gross and nasty like I remember from my childhood. After that I ate each bite of liver with plenty of onions and a slice of apple. The flavors went really well together and helped me get used to the texture. For the next 2 meals, I made a hash of sweet potatoes, onions and diced cooked liver sauted in coconut oil with cinnamon and cumin. The liver and sweet potato were both the same texture, so that made it easier. By the fourth meal, I just heated up the rest of the liver/onion/apple mixture and ate it no problem. By that time I was actually enjoying it (although part of that may have been that I was super-proud of myself for getting through it).

I hope you end up with a positive experience! Report back and let us know how it went!

@Tom

We can have coconut flour while on the Whole 30?

Yes you can, but not for baking. It is fine as a thickener or a breading on baked meat etc, but you can't make paleo muffins, pancakes, cookies, etc with it. Does that make sense?

• 2 years later...

Never cared for liver, but I think it' s because my mom always overcooked it. Anyway, I bought a whole roasting chicken and didn't want to throw the liver away. Found  a recipe for Chicken Livers Lyonnaise in Joy of Cooking. You season the chicken livers and then dredge in flour. I used almond flour and really liked the slight nuttiness and texture it added.  First sautéed onions and mushrooms in butter and set aside. Then you add more butter to the pan and sautéed the livers- just one minute per side! Don't overcook or they get tough and dry. Put the livers on the plate and top with the onions and mushrooms. Even if you hate liver, like I did, it's worth trying. I'm planning to get more and do it on a regular basis. One last thing: since the liver filters toxins I would say this is something that should definitely be organic/grass fed.

Archived