New to Whole30, been Paleo-ish for 3 years

SavyLola

Heavy on the "ish" for the past six months or so.  I guess I got tired of being different, of explaining all my meal choices, of talking about food 24/7, of being the go-to nutritionist in the office . . . I got tired of being so perfect, so I caved.  I went totally SAD and ate crappy and felt crappy.  SO, yesterday I decided something has to change.  I HAVE TO CHANGE!  Luckily my husband is going to do it with me.  He's been complaining for weeks that he needs to eat better, so I am hoping he can stick with it.  He is an emotional eater, so it will be harder on him.  And it will be hard on me to listen to him complain . . . Yesterday's menu was nothing to write home about, but compliant.  We will muddle through until this weekend when I can do some real grocery shopping.

My breakfast was yummy, though - I got the idea from someone's Whole30 blog.  It is "Monkey Salad."  A sliced banana, unsweetened coconut flakes, and pistachios.  I also had two boiled eggs.  It was filling, but I was hungry for lunch by 11:30.  Held off until 12:15, but really wanted to eat something else at 1:30 . . . I had a couple glasses of water and the "hunger" passed.

I chose Whole30 for 2 reasons.  (1) I need the motivation of a program to jump start my healthy eating drive. (2) I'd really like to finally get to the bottom of my migraines.  I'm knocking on 40, I've had migraines for over 20 years; one every month or two.  They usually last 24-48 hours and are debilitating.  I can't work, I can't wife, I can't mother.  With Paleo-ish, I never found relief.

I'm looking forward to connecting with others on the same journey.

• Moderators

Welcome to the Whole30. 

Monkey salad is not good enough for a Whole30 breakfast. You have to be careful about recipes as well-meaning people call things Whole30-compliant that fall short of our actual standards. 

The key to eating a good Whole30 meal is to follow our meal planning template which calls for protein, fat, and veggies at every meal. Another key is to limit fruit and nuts.

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

So a cup of a vegetable soup (tomato, broccoli, zucchini, or such) would be a good addition to my breakfast?  I just can't see myself having a veggie salad in the morning, and an omelette without cheese doesn't appeal to me . . . 

Archived