Sundi's First Whole30 Log

boxermom

Just found this part of the forum so I'm starting my daily log on day 2.

Day 1

6AM - Chicken Sausage Fritatta with Bell Peppers, Onions and Zucchini

11:30AM - Chicken Sausage Fritatta with Bell Peppers, Onions and Zucchini + Grapes

4:45PM - Single serve bag of cashews

7PM - Sweet Potato Hash

Day 2

6AM - Scrambled Eggs with Spinach, Asparagus and Mushrooms

- had a headache this morning -

11:30AM - Sweet Potato Hash + watermelon and cantaloupe chunks

4:45PM - Single Serve of Macademia Nuts

6:30PM - Mexican Chicken Recipe with Yellow Squash and Asparagus

Because I was a Diet Coke drinker and would drink massive amounts of diet coke, I think I am a little dehydrated.  I need to drink lots more water,  I think. 

Day 3

6AM - Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Chicken Sausage

My husband is really amazing and has been doing all the cooking for me.  I do all the dishes.

Stressed about possibly selling our house gives me something else to think about, but being bored out of my mind while proctoring state testing at school makes me want to eat.

Bought a 24 pack of spring water last night and packed a refillable water bottle too.  Going to try to drink more water today.

12:30PM-Mexican Chicken Recipe with Yellow Squash and Asparagus PLUS watermelon/canteloupe chunks

7PM - Greek Recipe with Lamb, Green Beans and Tomatoes

You know you eat a lot of vegetables when bamboo looks like asparagus to you.  :)

Day 4

6AM - Scrambled Eggs with Ground Beef/Onion Mixture PLUS spinach and jalapenos

I am proctoring state testing and the school sent us little bags of candy to thank us for our help with testing this week. I gave the candy to the kids (it even included a Reese's).

11:45AM - Greek Recipe with Lamb, Green Beans and Tomatoes PLUS watermelon/cantelope chunks

Not super hungry.  Find myself craving water.  That's a good sign - however, my tummy was cramping a little after lunch today.

7PM - Chipotle Steak Bowl with Lettuce, Steak, Fajita Veggies, Pico, Spicy Salsa and Guacamole

Day 5

Knew today would be a test because we were going to be eating out for two meals.  We had a lot going on getting ready to sell our house.

7AM - Scrambled Eggs with Spinach, Peppers, Onions and Ground Beef Mixture

10:15AM - Handful of Macademia Nuts

11:30AM - Chipotle Barbicoa Bowl with Lettuce, Barbicoa, Fajita Veggies, Pico, Spicy Salsa and Guacamole (couldn't finish the bowl)

GOT REALLY SICK to my stomach :(

Found a Whole30 Blog here: http://bartleysrun.com/2013/08/whole-30-tips-tricks-and-lessons-learned.html

while looking for what to eat at Longhorn Steakhouse tonight and found that Chipotle cooks their veggies in soybean oil so I'm guessing that's why I got so sick.

7PM - Longhorn Steakhouse - 8 oz Sirloin with Egg & Bacon; Sides were a salad bowl with no croutons or cheese and oil/vinegar dressing PLUS a sweet potato with butter (Didn't eat all of the steak or sweet potato)

Day 5

Knew today would be a test because we were going to be eating out for two meals.  We had a lot going on getting ready to sell our house.

7AM - Scrambled Eggs with Spinach, Peppers, Onions and Ground Beef Mixture

10:15AM - Handful of Macademia Nuts

11:30AM - Chipotle Barbicoa Bowl with Lettuce, Barbicoa, Fajita Veggies, Pico, Spicy Salsa and Guacamole (couldn't finish the bowl)

GOT REALLY SICK to my stomach :(

Found a Whole30 Blog here: http://bartleysrun.com/2013/08/whole-30-tips-tricks-and-lessons-learned.html

while looking for what to eat at Longhorn Steakhouse tonight and found that Chipotle cooks their veggies in soybean oil so I'm guessing that's why I got so sick.

7PM - Longhorn Steakhouse - 8 oz Sirloin with Egg & Bacon; Sides were a salad bowl with no croutons or cheese and oil/vinegar dressing PLUS a sweet potato with butter (Didn't eat all of the steak or sweet potato)

I'm sorry you got sick ... I'm about to give you some tough love: unfortunately you ate several non-compliant foods today.

First, eating butter on a Whole30 is not allowed, and ingesting it unfortunately calls for a restart, as dairy is a major gut irritant.  If it works better for your mindset, call it a Whole35 instead.

Per this Chipotle website, both the Chipotle barbacoa and fajita veggies are cooked in rice bran oil, which is not compliant. The steak bowl that you had the day before was also cooked in rice bran oil. In restarting your Whole30, do not have these menu items for the next 30 days.

Bacon at a restaurant: it is highly likely that your bacon contained sugar, sweetener or other nasties not allowed on a Whole30.  Skip this in the future, or ask before ordering.

I'm sorry you got sick ... I'm about to give you some tough love: unfortunately you ate several non-compliant foods today.

First, eating butter on a Whole30 is not allowed, and ingesting it unfortunately calls for a restart, as dairy is a major gut irritant.  If it works better for your mindset, call it a Whole35 instead.

Per this Chipotle website, both the Chipotle barbacoa and fajita veggies are cooked in rice bran oil, which is not compliant. The steak bowl that you had the day before was also cooked in rice bran oil. In restarting your Whole30, do not have these menu items for the next 30 days.

Bacon at a restaurant: it is highly likely that your bacon contained sugar, sweetener or other nasties not allowed on a Whole30.  Skip this in the future, or ask before ordering.

Thanks for the information @GFChris.

i have just started w30 (on day 2) and can't imagine eating out yet!  I have food allergies, so I have know from the past how hard it is to truly know what you are being served!  Good luck on the house move!

Thanks @Kmlynne.  I was a nervous wreck and didn't do so well evidently.  Having food allergies would make it much harder.  I'm going to have to be more prepared at restaurants though.  Thanks for the well wishes.  Stressful doing this and the sale!!

Day 6

Got up and cleaned house while waiting for my niece and nephew to wake up.  Felt light headed doing so much cleaning and not eating first.

8AM - Scrambled Eggs, Chicken Sausage and peppers/onions

12:30PM - Jimmy John's Unwich Hunter's Club Lettuce Wrap with Roast Beef (No cheese or mayo) and Peppers with a side of Watermelon (picked up a to go container at Target and shared it with my husband)

2:20PM - Handful of Macademia Nuts

6:35PM - California Style Chicken with spinach and squash

Day 6

Got up and cleaned house while waiting for my niece and nephew to wake up.  Felt light headed doing so much cleaning and not eating first.

8AM - Scrambled Eggs, Chicken Sausage and peppers/onions

12:30PM - Jimmy John's Unwich Hunter's Club Lettuce Wrap with Roast Beef (No cheese or mayo) and Peppers with a side of Watermelon (picked up a to go container at Target and shared it with my husband)

2:20PM - Handful of Macademia Nuts

6:35PM - California Style Chicken with spinach and squash

Be careful with deli meat, as it's tricky to find it without gluten, carrageenan or other non-compliant ingredients. I looked on Jimmy John's website to see if I could find the roast beef ingredients, but was unsuccessful. Unless you asked, it may be worth giving them a call.

Day 7

6AM - Scrambled Eggs with peppers, onions, spinach and chicken sausage

12:45PM - California Style Chicken PLUS canteloupe and watermelon chunks

2PM - Handful of Macademia Nuts

6:15PM - Sweet Potato Hash

Be careful with deli meat, as it's tricky to find it without gluten, carrageenan or other non-compliant ingredients. I looked on Jimmy John's website to see if I could find the roast beef ingredients, but was unsuccessful. Unless you asked, it may be worth giving them a call.

I too checked their website, but didn't see anything.  I have e-mailed them for a list of ingredients.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Day 8

6AM - Scrambled Eggs with Ground Beef, Peppers, Onions, Jalapenos and Raw Spinach on top

Feel very alert this morning.

11AM - Sweet Potato Hash PLUS chunks of canteloupe, watermelon, grapes and strawberries

5PM - Handful of Macadamia Nuts

6:30PM - Sweet Potato Hash (couldn't eat an entire serving)

Just got this email from Jimmy John's about their menu:

Thanks for eating at Jimmy John's! I am writing you back in response to your earlier e-mail.

You ask if our menu items are gluten-free

Avocado – It is gluten free.

Bacon - It is gluten free.

Beef - It is not gluten free.

Ham - It is gluten free.

Capicola - It is gluten free.

Salami - It is gluten free.

Turkey - It is gluten free.

French bread - It is not gluten free.

Wheat bread - It is not gluten free.

Cheese - It is gluten free. (Based on the FDA proposed ruling saying that product with <20ppm gluten can be decaled as gluten free)

Mayo - It is gluten free.

Cookies - They are not gluten free.

Chips – They are gluten free.

We have a great gluten free option..our unwich.  Any sub/club minus the bread wrapped in lettuce.

You ask if our products are carrageenan free?

Our cheese is carrageenan free.

Our meats are carrageenan free.

I hope that this answer is helpful.  We appreciate your business.

Jimmy John's 

Archived