Started, failed: Breakfast is my problem, also snacking

MingoNW

I started my Whole30 a bit ago and 4 days in I just couldn't hack it, mostly because of my busy schedule and the fact that I couldn't get the hang of breakfast. I tried some meat and veggie scrambles, one with apples and cinnamon, and it was such a flavor fail that I was gagging (previous attempt had gone so well but that one was bad...). I was in a hurry and I ended up defaulting back to my protein shake. Since then I haven't been able to get back on track, mostly since I haven't been able to prep meals in advance. I tried some egg muffins but they were also a fail on a number of fronts, not the least of which was that my silicone cupcake pan got ruined, even though I oiled them to avoid sticking....

I've been trying to at least stick to 80/20 but even that has been hard. I kind of went on a bit of a binge.

I also had trouble sticking to 3 meals and avoiding snacks in the first 4 days. SO hungry. I know I'm trying to reset my hormones but yikes, couldn't do it.

I'm travelling next week and attending a conference, plus I've got clients in town and kind of have to go out to eat where they want to eat....

Advice? Encouragement??

I would say, go on your trip, stay as clean as you can while without beating yourself up if you don't, and then come back and spend a week road-testing recipes before you try to start again. I know they say "start right now" but if you're not in the habit of cooking you need to sort that out first. I made sure I had a foolproof breakfast I could deal with nailed down before I started my first whole30.

Here's what it is. 2 eggs, scrambled or fried. 1 small avocado. Half a (pre-roasted) sweet potato, reheated. Coffee with coconut milk.

If the chips are down, I do not mind eating this breakfast every day, and I can prepare it in a flash.

That's a good idea, road testing recipes. I'm thinking I might roast a big batch of vegetables that I can heat up, and make some hard boiled eggs. Sometimes when I'm busy it's the cleaning up, especially in the morning, that makes it a bit daunting....

Just keep trying!!! If you want to wait until after the events you mentioned then do it, but I agree with befabdaily and I would eat as close to a Whole30 as you can do.

Doing a Whole30 "perfectly" is going to be a significant challenge for most folks. Personally, I think each time you do one you learn more and it gets easier. I just started my second one and it is so great to be free of the "Can I have this?" mode. This time I KNOW what I can have. I don't have to read every single label. And I know the things I personally need to DO to make it even better than the first one. I do have goals for this one, but I know a third Whole30 is in my future too. Overcoming a lifetime of food issues and making permanent changes that stick in only 30 days is a great, but ambitious goal. Any progress you make for Whole30 #1 is something to build upon for Whole30 #2, etc. My ultimate goal is to make my choices second nature because they are what I want to do for myself, not because M and D or Robb Wolf say to do it. That's when I know I have successfully changed my life for the better.

P.S. I can't ever get egg muffins to work. And I once tried to freeze them (as the recipe I used said could be done) and they were inedible. I make fritattas in my omelette pan (first on the stove, then finish in the oven) and cut it into slices. Much tastier for me. Keep experimenting and you will figure out what works for you.

Try Melicious's Scotch Eggs--I made them for the first time this week with 6 eggs, 1.25 lbs ground pork and Penzey's Italian Sausage seasoning and they're great for a quick protein source! I find that I have to designate a day to cook everything for the week. I'm only feeding myself so it's a bit easier to make recipes and portion them out for three or four meals, but it helps to have something in the fridge that's compliant and requires only reheating!

• 2 weeks later...

I found that if I prepare ahead - I grate huge amounts of sweet potato and zucchini in a microplaner and chop onions and put them in the fridge - then at breakfast time I just take some out, fry it up with some coconut oil and salt and peppers, then add whisked eggs for a scramble or top it with two poached eggs (I found these AWESOME silicon poaching thingies in a kitchen shop in Ithaca, see link below) then add half an avocado and some raw sauerkraut from the store, it is really easy and fills me up for hours. I sometimes add turmeric to the hash.

http://www.amazon.com/Fusionbrands-Silicone-Poach-Pods-Green/dp/B000P6FD3I

Try Melicious's Scotch Eggs--I made them for the first time this week with 6 eggs, 1.25 lbs ground pork and Penzey's Italian Sausage seasoning and they're great for a quick protein source! I find that I have to designate a day to cook everything for the week. I'm only feeding myself so it's a bit easier to make recipes and portion them out for three or four meals, but it helps to have something in the fridge that's compliant and requires only reheating!

Hey Mer, I'm 90% sure that this Penzey blend has sugar in it. Not enough to throw it out of your life forever, but if the sugar's in there, it's out for the W30

Archived